PDA

View Full Version : Taking alternator off???

GravityQueen
04-03-2010, 05:16 PM
Has anyone taken off their alternator? There is a bushing on the front side of it that isnt letting me slide it out of the bracket. How does that bushing come out? It cant go through the back side (it is treaded).

kaneboats
04-03-2010, 07:13 PM
All right. I'm liking her better by the day.

Razzman
04-03-2010, 07:48 PM
X2 Kane :) Never done one on an Indmar but in the automotive world those bushings float in and out. Spray a little WD-40 on it see if it wiggles out.

GravityQueen
04-03-2010, 09:18 PM
My dad is a mechanic and he said that it was installed backwards... My man is pulling his hair out.

maxpower220
04-04-2010, 08:36 PM
If a hammer doesn't work, then go for the plasma cutter. I've been wanting to have a project that would require me to buy one.

Oh yeah, after that, take is to someone who knows a lot more than I do to fix everything that I have recommended.

dereklschmidt
04-04-2010, 10:54 PM
Gravity, I just replaced mine last year, took all of about an hour or so. I don't remember that bushing being an issue. I'll take a look at my old one tomorrow and see if I can tell you anything from that.

badasshybrid
04-05-2010, 04:55 AM
That bushing is just be a sleeve for the alt bolt to go through so the alt doesnt wobble, mainly used because the hole on the alt is larger than the bolt itself. When the bolt is tight it will be tight against the alt. It sounds like its just stuck in the bracket. Can you stick a screwdriver or something between the bracket and alt to pry on the alt a little??

It will not be threaded.