PDA

View Full Version : Wake Surfing in an 06 LSV?

wbarksda
04-02-2010, 03:24 PM
I know this question has been asked a million times but I need to know the perfect wake surfing setup for my boat (06 LSV)? My dad is getting up there in age and has fallen in love with surfing. The problem is it takes us forever to get a good wake. I have the factory center ballast hookup and that is it. If money was no object, what would you do to it? No lead but hooking up sacks in a system and how big of sacks and where? What to do with the wedge etc...
Thanks for the help.

you da man
04-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Plenty of LSV owners will chime in but at minimum put a 750 sac in the V-drive locker on the surf side and put some people or another 400lb sac on the seat on the surf side as well. You probably will need a couple/few hundred pounds in the bow to lengthen the wave. I believe the plate is going to be around halfway +/- but should get close enough to tune the lip/shape

jmvotto
04-02-2010, 04:03 PM
Buy a 2010 XlV:p

sorry had to do it.

buy a 750 with the tsumani fly high 1200 pump. that should get you surfing faster without all the gi to giii plumbing

wbarksda
04-02-2010, 07:15 PM
I don't want to deal with filling them all the time then having to empty them to cruise around. So 750 in each back and fill the surf side up full and the other half and 400 in the front along with what's in the center?

you da man
04-02-2010, 07:25 PM
I don't want to deal with filling them all the time then having to empty them to cruise around. So 750 in each back and fill the surf side up full and the other half and 400 in the front along with what's in the center?

You'll have to fill and empty a few times per day if you cruise or have people who ride regular and "darkside". Leave the opposite side ballast empty. Only fill the surf side, center, and maybe a bow sac to tune the wake. You could have an extra sac on the surf side seat if you don't have enough people to sit on the surf side seats.

wbarksda
04-02-2010, 07:46 PM
I want to get it all hooked into a ballast system with swithches, I just need to know how much weight and where to put it.

Razzman
04-02-2010, 08:32 PM

It would be one 750 on surf side only unless you'll be switching and surfing goofy as well. You only weoight the surf side and leave the other alone generally.

jmvotto
04-02-2010, 09:07 PM
I want to get it all hooked into a ballast system with swithches, I just need to know how much weight and where to put it.

thant should cost you about 1200 to 1800 at the dealer, save some dough buy the bags online the dealer cost is outrageous:mad:

cab13367
04-02-2010, 11:48 PM
I know this question has been asked a million times but I need to know the perfect wake surfing setup for my boat (06 LSV)? My dad is getting up there in age and has fallen in love with surfing. The problem is it takes us forever to get a good wake. I have the factory center ballast hookup and that is it. If money was no object, what would you do to it? No lead but hooking up sacks in a system and how big of sacks and where? What to do with the wedge etc...
Thanks for the help.

I have the same boat as you. Check out the thread below for pics and set up info:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=8677

Sled491
04-03-2010, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the help.

the Wedge? You sure you have the right "M boat" :)

I don't think your going to like the solutions here. Even with the stock pump set up it take a while to fill and empty balast. Heck the only real speed difference is the time to hook up and un hook vs flick the switch.

And don't forget as was mentioned that you have two differnt set ups for reg vs goofy, and the same set up just switched from port to starboard doesn't always work either due to prop rotation direction

kaneboats
04-03-2010, 01:28 AM
I surfed today with 3 adults and 9 kids in the boat- all sitting on the surf side with some kids up in the bow. Just the stock 400 in the center full and the stock 400 on the surf side. With the wake plate down it was extremely poor. But then my daughter asked me, "was I supposed to move the wake plate?" With the plate all the way up the wake was incredible. I could do what I wanted and free rode for 15 min. Great time!

So put the 750 on the surf side and fill the front one and have whoever is with you sit on the surf side- plate all the way up and let it rip!!

wbarksda
04-03-2010, 09:19 AM
Thanks for the replies guys. I am going to put 700lbs in each back locker since my brother in law is goofy footed. So it looks like just fill up the 700lbs on the surf side with the ski locker filled at 10 mph. Sounds great and will let you know here in a couple weeks how it goes!

mmandley
04-05-2010, 12:41 AM
"I could do what I wanted and free rode for 15 min. Great time!"

seeeeeee. now you understand what I have been saying about not having to go crazy with creating a huge wave.

Sometimes stock bags and stock family is all it takes.

Ahh this reminds me of the battle of the best surf wave out of the box between the LSV and OBV. Hummmm....

Ohh yes i had to go there.....

moombadaze
04-05-2010, 07:49 AM
prop makes that big of a difference?

mmandley
04-05-2010, 09:04 AM
HAHA thanks Ed just a bit of fun teasing there buddy lol

I am glad your finaly getting water time in again and being able to test the props. I have been following it as much as i can while on vacation.

Great job you guys are doing also

mmandley
04-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Today its El Paso Tx. Tomorrow we are headed to Tucson for the day and meet up with fellow Moomba guy brandoniron

Then we will goto phoenix for tuesday night and Wednesday. Thursday is back to Utah and on the way home.

Sled491
04-05-2010, 11:52 AM
Doesn't sound very relaxing :)

Almost as bad a spring break with the kids at Disney, Yikes :D

kaneboats
04-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Yea, sounds like one of those vacations where you can't wait to get back to work so you can rest.:)

Sled491
04-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I know the feeling :)

mmandley
04-05-2010, 03:10 PM
Yea this isnt exactly a rest vacation thats for sure. But last year Claudia kept comming down because her dad was sick and passed away. I never visited last year so this year we desided to realy break in the new Equinox Sport we just got for her and put 5K miles on it with all the trips LOL.

Its not to bad for vacation because at the very least im not working, and its been raining non stop in Portland so im not missing boating weather eighter.

2007 Outback V
04-06-2010, 07:40 PM
Yea this isnt exactly a rest vacation thats for sure. But last year Claudia kept comming down because her dad was sick and passed away. I never visited last year so this year we desided to realy break in the new Equinox Sport we just got for her and put 5K miles on it with all the trips LOL.

Its not to bad for vacation because at the very least im not working, and its been raining non stop in Portland so im not missing boating weather eighter.

I'd be interested in knowing your opinion of the Equinox Sport? My wife got a new one in '08. Very nice vehicle, handles great, drive is smooth. I went with AWD, being in WI and all, handles awesome in the snow. Plenty of HP for a crossover! I'm not too impressed with the gas mileage. Seems to run around 18 mpg with fairly equal amounts of highway and city miles. One could run a larger vehicle, like a trailblazer or something, and get equal if not better mpg; plus would have full towing capacity then. I'm kinda mehhh, about it. Some things I like, other things I don't (like no map lights, come on! who doesn't put map lights in these days!).

Sorry to pull this discussion so far off topic, what was the topic anyways?

mmandley
04-07-2010, 12:50 PM
Well i have been driving the Equinox all vacation lol. Comming from my F150 4x4 with 400hp i was quite impressed with the power this car has. 3.7 V6 with 265 hp.

We have Sport with the AWD also. 18 wheels and the Goodyear Performance tires 50 series. IT has a very firm sport car ride and realy hugs the road well when we were doing 75 threw the mountain passes that say 55 lol. I have been pushing the car to see its ability.

As a matter a fact the car handles realy well at 105mph lol. We where cruising along at 75 and a mustang we were passing decided he didnt want to be passed and flew passed us, then cut in front of me and slowed to 65 What an ASS!!! So i stomped it and flew around the right lane and he stomped it and i out ran him or he gave up idk but the speedo said 105 when i changed lanes in front of him.

As for milage i too have been very disapointed in the milage. In portland we are only getting 15 to 18 also depends on where we go. On the way to Utah threw Idaho we got 18 to 20 and i said the same thing. My F150 gets 18 on the highway and i was very disapointed.

As we got past Vegas and into AZ the milage went way up, we are gettign 23 to 25 now. I assume the low elevation of the south creates better milage.

In review of the car, Claudia realy loves it, i like it a lot. Im not impressed with its milage but im very impressed with the performace on all levels, including the brakes. I think we made a great choice for a second car for her to drive but the goal of taking it everyware to save gas well...LOL

My truck of course has the same problem in Portland i only get 12 to 14 mpg. When we travel to AZ i can get 16 to 18 in the city and 20 on the highway.

One thing to take into consideration is this is an AWD and it weighs 5600 so its much heavier then a normal car and weighs in at most SUV weights. My truck is 6600 pounds