PDA

View Full Version : Oil Change? Need Help

Fisherbikes
04-01-2010, 08:08 PM
Trying to change the oil in our Moomba. Got everything ready and the pump but having trouble finding Oil Drain Hose? I know we can put the oil extractor tube down into the oil checker hose, but I was trying to use the low point as referenced in Al's winterization post.

Any Help?

brain_rinse
04-01-2010, 08:37 PM
It's usually clipped up towards the top on one of the lifting rings.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-01-2010, 10:32 PM
Should the oil drain hose start on the same side as the dipstick? Its not one of the hoses feeding the filter right? Those look to have copper screw in adapters like Als winterization procedure post.

Sorry, I was over there helping my buddy and we could not find this hose. I didnt even eat the burgers on the grill or finish my cool coozie covered Coors light.

I went home in shame. ......Any ideas?

cab13367
04-02-2010, 12:17 AM
Look under the engine as if you are looking for the oil drain plug on a car engine. It will be on the lowest point of the oil pan. You should see a rubber hose connected to a fitting where the oil drain plug would normally be. Follow that hose and there you go.

graybmg
04-02-2010, 07:43 AM
Fisherbikes, if yours is like mine there is NO oil drain hose. I bought one from Overton's and installed it myself. Was a BE-otch to install! If you find yourself in the same situation, let me know and I'll give you some pointers.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-02-2010, 06:52 PM
It's usually clipped up towards the top on one of the lifting rings.

Isn't it the hose that has the silver clip on the closed copper end? I went out and looked on my 2005 LSV and it said fuel vapor SAE30 and some other gibberish on the hose.

I unscrewed the top and it did not seem to smell of fuel at all.

brain_rinse
04-02-2010, 06:57 PM
That's the one!

Isn't it the hose that has the silver clip on the closed copper end? I went out and looked on my 2005 LSV and it said fuel vapor SAE30 and some other gibberish on the hose.

I unscrewed the top and it did not seem to smell of fuel at all.

WaterBullDawg1980
04-02-2010, 07:08 PM
That's the one!

Thanks to all for the help!

Now I am back to trying to get this impeller out. :(

wolfeman131
04-03-2010, 08:31 PM
Now I am back to trying to get this impeller out. :(

I think someone (maybe Jesse, Razz or Tazz) posted that they use either needle nose vice grips and/or 2 paint can openers on either side of the impeller to pry it out.

moombadaze
04-03-2010, 09:29 PM
changed the impellar in my 08 with about 85 hrs--man that thing was dang near imposible to get out.

SC_LSV
04-12-2010, 01:46 PM
Anyone ever have trouble with getting no flow out of the oil pan drain hose. Tried to use it yesterday, but no luck. Ended up going back to home depot to buy a drill pump that didn't work. I'm going back to the hand pump style extractors, i know they work.

csmsk
04-12-2010, 02:14 PM
The flow is VERY slow, even at normal operating temp. I just pump it out thru the drain hose and save the valuable 3-4 hrs. for something else!

kaneboats
04-12-2010, 02:23 PM
I have my 20 hr service coming up in another week or two. I think I may just open the drain to see what I get and use the extractor pump from the top at the same time.

Jeff W
04-12-2010, 03:48 PM
So are you guys sticking the oil drain down through the hole where the plug is and dumping your oil into a bucket or oil container?

I'm going to tackle it one night this week.

kaneboats
04-12-2010, 04:11 PM
I used to do that on the O/B, but I've heard it won't reach on the LSV. Haven't checked that out yet.

Jeff W
04-12-2010, 04:49 PM
I used to do that on the O/B, but I've heard it won't reach on the LSV. Haven't checked that out yet.

what do you do then (assuming you're using the quick drain and not an extractor)

Ken A
04-12-2010, 09:15 PM
I tried to take the oil drain hose out the hull plug in the back and it won't quite reach. You may be able to hook another hose to it and do it that way but I was worried I wouldn't get it all out and/or make a mess.

I bought a Motive oil extractor/pump from Summit Racing (they have a warehouse here in town so I could just pick it up :) )

Anyway, I pumped it up to 17 inches of vacuum, shoved it down the oil drain hose, with the extractor in the engine compatement to keep the lift as low as possible and left it for an hour. I went back and it was down to 10 inches. I pumped it back up to 17. I checked it 10 minutes later and it was done.

This was cold oil so if you do it after it has ran, it will go much faster. The biggest advantage to this is no mess and I don't have to hold the trigger on that darn drill pump for 15 minutes (or clamp and watch it).

DOCDRS
04-12-2010, 10:44 PM
I will never stick it down the dipstick tube again......did it once and the plastic tube got hung up on the end of the dipstick tube, plus it doesn't get to the lowest part of the pan.......had to remove dipstick tube to get the plastic extractor tube out &%*@#$&%$#@* then $#&^&$%$^&*%& ^&%% $## @$()(&&^^^^&%^%%$#%$. It runs slower than molasses in january out of the quick drain, get an extractor, only way to go........then you can do tranny and vdrive. it will pay for itself first oil change you do

Be careful kane, I told the guy i sold my outback to about this and he called me 4 weeks later saying I know you told me so ,but!

kaneboats
04-13-2010, 08:37 AM
So, just connect my extractor to the drain line? Sounds easy enough.

mcdye
04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
So, just connect my extractor to the drain line? Sounds easy enough.

Y, I just stuck my extractor tubing down the oil drain hose, would not use the dip stick tube for the very reasons docdrs mentioned.

jester
04-13-2010, 02:18 PM
What i did for the oil is i got an adapter to screw onto the end of the oil drain hose. Then i put a longer hose using that adapter so i could get out the plug hole. I used a drill pump from home depot and made sure i was below the engine. Oil took about 3 min to get out. I did heat up the engine to about 140 before starting this fun. I do not know where i have photo's but i did post them at the end of last year. Hope this helps.

SC_LSV
04-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Anybody know the size of the threaded fitting on the end of the drain line for an 06 LSV? Mine hose will reach the plug at the back of the boat, but the compression clamp for the hose fitting is two large to fit thru the hull plug. Didn't want to try to fun it out of that and coat the back of the boat and wake plate with oil.

jester
04-15-2010, 09:37 PM
What i did was take the cap to the oil hose in to an auto store. They fit it without an issue.