PDA

View Full Version : boat cover??

outbackv
04-01-2010, 04:57 PM
i have a black non water proof cover that i got with my outback and was told it shouldnt be used for when towing cause it scratches the vinly and what not is this true? i dont wanna spend alot of money or any for a new cover but i dont wanna tow with no cover cause the road grime gets all over the interior and dirtys it pretty bad between cracks any ideas?
thanks

Razzman
04-01-2010, 05:43 PM
Never heard the scratching the vinyl before but i can say that if it's not extremely snug the vinyl will flap and scratch the gelcoat as will the tie down straps, they flutter against the hull and mark it up but good. The factory covers were never meant to tow with.

Ian Brantford
04-01-2010, 05:54 PM
The straps will definitely mar the gelcoat. I had to pay a detailer quite a pretty penny to fix mine.

I towed one time with the cover on and soft fabric taped over the straps. I found no abrasions from the cover itself or the protected straps. It was less than an hour of driving and nothing over 40 MPH. More speed or time might have had a different outcome.

outbackv
04-01-2010, 05:57 PM
thanks guys ya i just wanted to get a second opinion on the whole thing i guess that cover is kinda useless then...........

DOCDRS
04-01-2010, 06:03 PM
thats what i was thinking

Razzman
04-01-2010, 06:10 PM
thanks guys ya i just wanted to get a second opinion on the whole thing i guess that cover is kinda useless then...........

I dunno it keeps mine pretty clean in storage. I just wrap stuff garage towels around the tower legs were they enter the cover. Besides i've never seen the value in towing with a cover anyway unless it's pouring rain and then i'm not out anyway. It's just one more thing i have to find a place for when i get to my destination. :p

outbackv
04-01-2010, 06:31 PM
thats a good point razzman thanks

BensonWdby
04-01-2010, 06:36 PM
Ironically it is called a 'mooring cover' (I think), which would suggest that it is intended for stationary use - possibly on the water. But the design is not 'water friendly', since the straps are clearly intended to go around a trailer or a lift.

My body guy - who is a huge boat guy - says never trailer your boat with a cover that has straps due to the potential for gel coat 'burn'. It is more than jsut the straps to think about. It is the edge of the cover along the sides of the boat when the cover 'billows'. But I am guessing that most of us would never notice it.

One thing if you do - I hear that putting a couple of twists in the straps helps reduce the strap slap.

Good luck..
Dave

Razzman
04-01-2010, 06:42 PM
One thing if you do - I hear that putting a couple of twists in the straps helps reduce the strap slap.

FYI: It didn't help one bit the ONE time i did it, i had to take the buffer and cutting agent to get the marks out.

Another myth debunked! :p

outbackv
04-01-2010, 07:10 PM
haha thanks guys for the input lol i think im gonna be towing coverless until i can get a snap on made...........

c.rix
04-01-2010, 09:10 PM
haha thanks guys for the input lol i think im gonna be towing coverless until i can get a snap on made...........

I need a mooring cover ! How much u want for it since its useless to ya ?

outbackv
04-01-2010, 09:17 PM
im not sure what its even worth ill get back to......but i use it just for when and if its ever outside to keep the interior dirt and debree free it would just be nice if it was waterproof and id like something i can tow with ya know.......
do you have a cover at all now?

davidl
04-01-2010, 10:21 PM
Check out Rankin covers, they have all the specs on Mooba boats and they made me a very nice cover that has no straps, we have traveled a ton of miles with no problems or damage to the gel coat.

outbackv
04-01-2010, 10:30 PM
do they have a website is it something i can just order are they water proof?
let me know thanks for the help

2007 Outback V
04-01-2010, 10:35 PM
Don't know if you can still get on in the evolution group buy?

outbackv
04-01-2010, 10:39 PM
what do you mean?

skiyaker
04-01-2010, 10:55 PM
evolution covers (evolutioncovers.com) makes a towable, waterproof cover. There was a group buy a while back but that one is closed as the covers are hopefully on there way soon (waiting on mine to arrive!). If you get 4 or more people to go in on it you can get 10% off- they don't all have to be moombas so you can find boat owners from other forums. The regular price for my 08 OBV was $835 Hopefully it's worth it- I'll let you know when it comes in! I'm planning on towing the boat quite a bit this summer and really need it to be covered at highway speeds.

outbackv
04-02-2010, 12:07 AM
ill look into it but for $800 i can get a snap on made out of the sunbrella material thats very reliable and water proof and 300 for a tower sock going with a buddys of mines friend check out there work they got some cool covers www.paulscanvas.com i was just looking not to spend so much at least at the time being cause i got some other upgrades i would like to do first thanks for the input

BensonWdby
04-02-2010, 07:33 AM
For covering on the lift - I just bought an $80 cover at Norhtern Hydraulics. I had a similar one from Walmart for a few years. The key to these is to keep the tent poles very high and find a way to take up any slack.