PDA

View Full Version : O'Neil Assault Hybrid vs. O'Neil Boost Drysuits

Lawdog
03-31-2010, 06:38 PM
Anybody have any experience with either the Assault Hybrid or Boost Drysuits? I was wondering what you would wear under the Assault Hybrid since the bottom half is neoprene and do you get cold wearing it. With the Boost you could pretty much wear whatever you want under it to keep warm. Any insight would be appreciated.

deepcove
03-31-2010, 07:00 PM
Oneil Boost with fleece underneath in heavenly while in the Canadian winter waters....

Mikey
03-31-2010, 10:46 PM
I have a Safara full neoprene type DRYSUIT and all i usually were is a dry pair of shorts and a tshirt and i'm good.

Lawdog
04-01-2010, 04:52 PM
Are the full neoprene drysuits just like full wetsuits?

Mikey
04-01-2010, 08:56 PM
Yeah basically with better seals.They fit better if you want the airodynamics but bag style let you wear more clothes underneith as well as a lifevest under. I wear one outside just like with wetsuit.

skiyaker
04-01-2010, 09:37 PM
lawdog here's my glamour shot of me in my boost suit that just arrived yesterday. It seems well made and about as comfortable as an watertight suit can be. I'll give you an update after I actually see if it keeps me dry tomorrow!

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-01-2010, 09:57 PM
lawdog here's my glamour shot of me in my boost suit that just arrived yesterday. It seems well made and about as comfortable as an watertight suit can be. I'll give you an update after I actually see if it keeps me dry tomorrow!

haha i like it!
what size is that suit and how tall and heavy are you?
the chart says i'm in the large range but i'm not a big guy and i don't know if i should go xl. some have said go a size bigger but thats the biggest size they make!
i'm 5'9" 175

skiyaker
04-01-2010, 10:04 PM
I'm 5'9" 155# and the suit is a medium which is rated for 5'9"-5'11" 150-170# so I'm on the low end of the range and it fits comfortably. I think anybody smaller than me will be able to use it too. Doesn't seem like there would be any harm in having it too big but what do I know since I haven't used it yet LOL!

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-01-2010, 10:22 PM
what kind of head gear you got on there? i think i'll stick with the large thenif your med fits you well

skiyaker
04-01-2010, 10:29 PM
I couldn't resist the O'neil thinskins hood. If nothing else it's a style issue haha!

Lawdog
04-02-2010, 08:41 AM
Awesome....I've been kind of leaning toward the hybrid but I'm not sure yet. Let me know how the Boost worked out...by the way what part of Indiana are you from?

skiyaker
04-02-2010, 10:26 PM
Lawdog the boost worked as advertised- it kept me dry and comfortable. Water temp today was 51. I wore sweats underneath and actually once I got up I was a little too hot- should have just worn shorts today since the air temp was 70s but also I think I could go a whole lot colder with layering underneath. The bagginess didn't bother me- I can see where if you are a high end slalom skier you might want the hybrid or neoprene suit for less wind resistance but again I'm a rather poor wakeboarder and it didn't impede my ability to make a fool of myself on the water! Here's a pic! BTW I'm from Muncie.

Sled491
04-02-2010, 11:37 PM
If this helps, I thought I needed an XL, not because of my height but because of my chest, but was I way wrong. I needed a large at best. Now the XL does create a bit of a problem getting up, but after that I don't even notice.

I like the baggy style as it allows layers. I have a 7MM semi dry for scuba and I hate it. It keeps me warm, I just find it too much material and makes me tired quicker.

One of the guys I skies with tried the hood, he stopped wearing it because of how the lack of noise while skiing was freaking him out, hey his words not mine :)

skiyaker
04-03-2010, 12:33 PM
hey sled does your suit have the built in suspenders and if so do you use them? I felt like I had better mobility without them- was thinking of taking them out.

Sled491
04-03-2010, 01:10 PM
No mine doesn't, but the scuba ones do. There more for ease of donning and doffing than for fitment while use. I'd say if you don't like them don't use them.

KurtL
04-03-2010, 09:44 PM
Lawdog,
I have had an Assault Hybrid for 3or 4 years. Like it for skiing as less drag. I usually only wear it first outing of season. After that someone usually pulls out a shorty suit (48F h2o) and we all have to man up:confused:. Only complaint is zipper issue (currently in the shop to repair) with only maybe 10 uses. I would think the baggy suit would be great for boarding/surfing. My 2 cents.

Kurt

Lawdog
04-04-2010, 05:27 PM
OK so here is the deal: I have a giftcard from the place I purchased my boat (3 to 3 1/2 hours away) but they only have the Assault Hybrid Drysuit. There is a watersports store (Barts Watersports) about an hour from me that has both the Assault and the Boost. Problem is the Assault costs more from Barts hence the reason for the original post to get opinions. Kurt do you stay warm and dry with the Assault and what do you wear underneath? Again thanks for all the help.

skiyaker
04-04-2010, 07:35 PM
love Barts- but they wouldn't match prices on the boost. For what it's worth lawdog I found the boost on boardco.com for 379 with free shipping which is what Barts lists the hybrid for. Sorry I know that doesn't answer your question about the warmth of the assault- and it took mine more than a week to arrive since it shipped from utah.

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-04-2010, 10:31 PM
thanks for all the info and pics skiyaker.
i'm gonna place an order for the boost tomorrow as well

i see you got some head gear what'd you use for hands and feet?
also looks like your life jacket is on the outside...is that correct?

KurtL
04-05-2010, 12:02 AM
Lawdog, Staying dry was no problem with the suit. I slalom ski, so starting to sweat by the time I'm back in the boat. I only go with boardshorts under the suit. If you ski, hybrid is the suit(no leg drag, ski hard your warm), if more boarding then the boost sounds like it lets you layer underneath.

Get head gear, I'll be adding that this year! Good luck

skiyaker
04-05-2010, 09:41 AM
I wore the jacket on the outside just to compress some of the bagginess since the suit is a little large on me. For hands I found some neoprene kayaking gloves in my garage- feet just got cold though if you have closed toe bindings that would solve this problem. For this time of year it wasn't too bad but for colder conditions I would definitely want some closed toe bindings.

Sled491
04-05-2010, 10:03 AM
I'm with you SJ on this one. I wear my vest on the outside to help keep the suit in line. I tried 5mm scuba gloves but found them just too bulky, although the grip was incredible. I switched to my regular ski gloves as I tend to wear heavier ones anyway. Plus I have heaters and don't make as long runs in early and late season.

Lawdog
04-10-2010, 03:51 AM
Well I went with the Assault Hybrid. For anybody who is interested as soon as I use it I'll post my opinion on it.

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-10-2010, 07:53 AM
i went with the boost. ordered it on tuesday and it came thursday got it from board co.
skiyaker they said it must have been on back order for it to take that long. tried it on fits pretty good...going out sunday so we'll see for sure

skiyaker
04-10-2010, 10:18 PM
cool guys- glad to hear so many of us love doing this enough to get out in sub-optimal conditions. used the boost again today- kept me nice and toasty; water is up to 54 and one guy in our group used a 1 mil wetsuit. No beef with boardco- they made a mistake on my order (sent me adhesive instead of seal saver) but they made good on it.

Sled491
04-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Man I wish I could even find the time to use mine :(

gus 08 mobius lsv
04-11-2010, 05:16 PM
went out today and used it for the first! water temp was about 58 stayed bone dry until a nasty face plant then just a little water down the neck.
stayed warm very happy with the suit... thanks guys for all the help

skiyaker
04-11-2010, 07:11 PM
Sled- I feel bad that you inspired all of us to get these dry suits and you haven't been able to get out! I talked with some guys the other day that went out in January in southern Indiana. Hope you get a ride in soon!

Sled491
04-11-2010, 07:17 PM
Dude all is well, got out this afternoon. About 65 degrees, water was about "Holy Crap". Just one pass up and back. Will post some pics on another thread later. Thanks for feelin' me though :D