PDA

View Full Version : Effects of using the wrong propeller size?

wolfstone
03-30-2010, 09:16 AM
So, i'm looking around for a spare propeller for my Mobius V 2000.

There seem to be different sizes recommended by different manufacturers/stockists.

I cannot remember (as my boat is currently in storage) exactly what size my prop is.
I think it might be 14" across. (probably the factory fitted one)

I know its LH, Keyed, and 1 1/8" bore, 4 blade.

So, the question is....if i put a different size of prop....say a 13 x 16 on my boat.....what effect will it have on my travel?

I understand it will make me either slower, more acceleration, or higher reving, etc....
Will it cause damage?

If i put a 13 x 14 on, or even a 14 x 20.......will it get me through the week, whilst my original is being repaired?

Any suggestions/ideas or even experience would go a long way to stop my worrying.

kaneboats
03-30-2010, 09:20 AM
The only real worry, other than performance, is having a prop with too little pitch such that the engine can over-rev. Ideally the prop will allow the engine to turn up to maximum RPM without over-revving. In other words, anything close to the original will work, but if you go with a lower pitched propeller that usually means it needs to have a larger diameter to stay in the same RPM range. With a larger diameter you have to watch clearance issues -- you don't want it striking your trailer if you use one.

You can send an e-mail to our friends at OJ or Acme and ask for recommendations based on your specifc boat and your typical uses. They will be most helpful.