PDA

View Full Version : WTB: Moomba...?

limpkinw
03-30-2010, 01:51 AM
Hello,
I am a Mastercraft owner who is looking to upgrade from my 1990 Tri-Star. After trying to be brand loyal I can not seem to justify the $$$. After some research is seems like a Moomba is what I want.
So my question is which Moomba do I want?

I have a family that loves being on the water from my 8yr old who slalom skis and wake boards to me who does the same to my dad who loves to ride his air chair.
We think Mooma makes the right boat for us but what one do we want? We vary in range from beginner to expert slalom skiers or beginner to Intermediate (and hoping to get better) wake boarders. Our primary activity in general is wake boarding. Although we may wake surf a bit, and of course will ski this year.

What is the perfect boat for us? We are in the 30k price range, and we want a tower and prefer GPS perfect Pass (can potentially add this later)

Keep in mind we spend 14-20 hours every weekend on the water..

Do you have such a boat for sale?

Pics would be great!

Thank You in advance.

kaneboats
03-30-2010, 09:15 AM
Uhhhh, zegm?? Somebody's here looking for you!

brain_rinse
03-30-2010, 09:42 AM
There have been some great 2008 LSVs around 30k in the classifieds and on onlyinboards in the past couple of weeks. I'd start there. Good luck with the search!

maxpower220
03-30-2010, 09:54 AM
If you want new, then you should look at the Outback. It is much larger than your TriStar and is a focused slalom boat. I have one and with a little ballast and the wake plate, you can get a decent wake for boarding and entry surfing.

The LS is a direct drive boat that is a foot longer. It is more of a crossover type boat.

Since you still have skiing listed at "expert level", those are the 2 boats to focus on. Also, moving from a 19' boat, make sure that storage is not an issue with length of boat. For the LS or any V-drive boat, you will be looking at used to get into your price range.

My previous 2 boats were MC, the Moomba is a great boat for the money.

limpkinw
03-30-2010, 10:42 AM
Thanks all for the feedback, just to give more information I am not replacing the tristar...It is going to be kept around (at the family cabin) so this will be in addition to. Our main focus for the new boat will be to focus on wake boarding and air chairing THEN slalom skiing.

So while I want a crossover I am looking more towards a wake board style boat (the tristar is excellent for skiing) but I would like it if some basic skiing could be done especially for my son.
It sounds like a wakeplate on a lsv or xlv would do the trick.

Also do you think I should wait until late summer to find a better deal, I am looking more to get the most bang for my buck so I will wait if its going to make a big difference.

jmvotto
03-30-2010, 11:50 AM
either would be fine. Check Craiglist in the Rust belt states ,CA, FL, AZ, NV( no offense) these were obviously hit the hardest and may get the best bang for your buck. Not sure where you are located, thats why i smattered the US map

limpkinw
03-30-2010, 12:27 PM
Thank you, I saw there is a 2008 LSV and a 2007 XLV for sale on these forums in my price range (almost) Are those a good deal? What would be considered a great deal for boats such as these? Sorry I do not know this market at all.

Thanks again in advance!

Moseley618
03-30-2010, 04:40 PM
This seems like a good buy for basically a brand new boat, it is just broken in.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10288

limpkinw
03-30-2010, 05:45 PM
Whats is the difference between LSV and XLV?

kaneboats
03-30-2010, 08:47 PM
Usually several thousand dollars and a couple feet of garage space.

kaneboats
03-30-2010, 08:50 PM
OK, that's two jokes and I've offered no help. You haven't said what part of the country (or world for that matter) you live in. You are going to have to search boats for sale on Only Inboards, this site, boats.com, craiglook, boattrader.com, etc. and find out what's for sale around you -- or within reasonable travel distance. Then, you can visit this site and look under "About Moomba" at the top of the page-- click on "Archive" and look at the specs for the boats. Heck, you can even view the owners manuals for years back to about 2000. If you find something interesting in your price range feel free to ask about it and we'll do the best we can to help.

limpkinw
03-30-2010, 09:29 PM
I am in the midwest (Wisconsin) but my family has shipped boats from as far as California before and I am not opposed to doing that again. I have looked on several of these sites and to be honest the two boats on this forum (2008 LSV and a 2007 XLV) almost seem to be the best deals at the time being. What I am wondering is if I wait until july/august will I find an even better deal or is that about as good as it gets?

kaneboats
03-30-2010, 09:32 PM
The '08 LSV for sale on here is about as good as it gets. I looked for months but really wanted a new boat. It is as good or better of a deal than anything I have seen.

limpkinw
03-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Thanks for the feedback, any input as to why

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10288

and

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10349

Have such a huge price difference?

kaneboats
03-30-2010, 09:50 PM
Look up the blue book. One guy believes he should get what he paid or maybe has to get at least what he owes -- you can't do anything about that. The other guy owes less and needs to sell his boat. Not to make judgments but there are new boats available for less than what one of them wants for his.

brain_rinse
03-30-2010, 10:07 PM
That's how it goes with boats. Some people are desperate to sell, others are happy to hold out for someone willing to pay full price. If you're in a position to buy I'd jump all over that deal.

Reese350
03-31-2010, 06:13 AM
I agree, I've had 3 Moombas and I think "Emmas Moomba" is a steal on a basically new LSV. That's going to be hard to beat any time of the year. If I was in the market for an LSV, I would jump on it quick. Just my view...

Razzman
03-31-2010, 11:04 AM
It's all percieved in what an owner feels his/hers boat is worth. Some have to dump it quick due to financial reasons and are willing to take a loss to due so.

Waiting until later will probably only increase prices, historically it usually does as the season approaches or is here.

viking
04-01-2010, 01:19 AM
It all comes down to "motivation".
What is the motivation of the seller?
What is the Motivation of the buyer?

If you've got a motivated buyer - the seller can ask what he/she wants.
If you've got a motivated seller - then deals can be had!