PDA

View Full Version : Sumo sacks in 2010 LSV

TL7
03-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Has anyone swapped out the stock locker bags for the 800lb Sumo sacks? I have these already that we used in our old boat. They are 24x24x50, whereas the Fly Highs are 20x20x50. Don't mind getting the Fly Highs if I need to, but it all adds up quickly! I think these will fit, but since they have the "waterbed" type fittings, how much modification will it require? My gut tells me to spend the $$ and go with the Fly High Pro X so it's a 5 minute swap, but wanted to get input from the experts.

brain_rinse
03-29-2010, 10:06 PM
The sumo sacks will fit but be nice and tight. You'll need to spend a few bucks to get the fittings to hook up, but it's doable. The Fly High sacs are definitely better though - better material and better fittings.

DOCDRS
03-29-2010, 10:43 PM
there is a fly high 24x24x50 jumbo sac, i just got one

TL7
03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
Just saw those. So at 1100lbs each, that's over 2k in the back. What do you do for the front? I doubt the 400 in the locker is enough to even it out. What is the largest sack that fits in the ski locker?

DOCDRS
03-29-2010, 11:01 PM
do you have the play pen or walk thru

TL7
03-29-2010, 11:03 PM
Walk through - 2010 LSV.

you da man
03-29-2010, 11:34 PM
Probably could use 200-300lbs of Pop bags plus a ballast sac(s) under the bow seats

Razzman
03-30-2010, 12:01 AM
Probably could use 200-300lbs of Pop bags plus a ballast sac(s) under the bow seats

You do that and i have one thing to say, be very carefull! The LSV sits a lower in the nose than the XLV and with a bow sac and extra weight of pop bags if a large roller set catches you unaware your taking serious water over the bow. I know. it's happened to me twice and both times i had a couple of inches of water across the entire floor! At least with a bag only up front you can empty out when not needed.

you da man
03-30-2010, 12:33 AM
You do that and i have one thing to say, be very carefull! The LSV sits a lower in the nose than the XLV and with a bow sac and extra weight of pop bags if a large roller set catches you unaware your taking serious water over the bow. I know. it's happened to me twice and both times i had a couple of inches of water across the entire floor! At least with a bag only up front you can empty out when not needed.

I ordered 485lbs of steel shot in Pop bags. No way I intend to use it all in the bow but just all over the boat as needed. I haven't taken more than 6 in the boat and don't see more than 8 so I'd like the have the weight easier to move than ballast sacs for fine tuning. Plus the Pop bags are much smaller. I hear you on taking rollers over the bow when ballast down.

brain_rinse
03-30-2010, 09:32 AM
A 60% / 40% split is a good rule of thumb for weighting the LSV. So if you wanted to fill your sumo sacks all the way you'd need about 1000 lbs up front which would be 600 lbs in addition to the ski locker ballast. Your boat would be slammed! With 1100s in the back you'd be up to the rubrail before you got enough weight up front. :) If you run over capacity consistantly make sure you've got the right prop.

Razzman
03-30-2010, 10:17 AM
I ordered 485lbs of steel shot in Pop bags. No way I intend to use it all in the bow but just all over the boat as needed. I haven't taken more than 6 in the boat and don't see more than 8 so I'd like the have the weight easier to move than ballast sacs for fine tuning. Plus the Pop bags are much smaller. I hear you on taking rollers over the bow when ballast down.

On your XLV it's not as much of an issue as it is on the LSV. The XLV has a higher ride height and won't dip as bad when rollers from another wake boat hit, especially another ballasted wake boat!

c.rix
03-30-2010, 10:42 AM
please re-think the solid ballast idea.

If your boat gets swamped while your running liquid ballast, your boat will still float.

Solid ballast will aid in giving your boat to Davy Jones

I agree solid ballast is a bad idea, but I've seen it done believe it or not back in 04 I saw a guy that sealed off the v drive boxes from the engine compartment and poured concrete in... All the front seats were plated with steal he figured about 2500 lbs of weight total

Oh yeah the boat was a 03 malibu wakesetter loaded !!! so probably a 60k boat ruined by a rich daddys boy 20 years old and dumb as the concrete he put in the malibu

you da man
03-30-2010, 11:11 AM
I'm not concerned with solid ballast as I'm not going to have it all in the bow plus 400lbs of bow weight is nothing with 750's in the back. I understand the concern and I don't plan on 4000+lbs of ballast plus people like they use in surf contests.

Razzman
03-30-2010, 11:14 AM
Here's a couple of prime examples of what not to do ...

c.rix
03-30-2010, 11:30 AM
Here's a couple of examples of prime examples of what not to do ...

wow thats awesome

Im not gonna lie I fill my 750 and then lay the stock 400 under surf side seats my boat can almost touch the rub rail in the rear corner but have yet to take water in... The lake i keep my boat at there are only 16ft fishin boats only big wake is my own :)

TL7
03-30-2010, 05:38 PM
I think I'll stick with the 750's. Don't want to turn this thing into a submarine. Heck, if we could surf with no rope behind an Outback, shouldn't be an issue with the LSV and 750's!

sandm
03-30-2010, 06:21 PM
that second pic is classic...

I third the opinion of solid ballast. water is the only way to go. if you think you need more, add a bag on the seat or floor, but solid ballast kills your gas mileage when not recreating, adds more weight to tow, wear on trailer tires, added tongue weight to the tow rig, and the list goes on..