PDA

View Full Version : fat boy slalom ???

c.rix
03-29-2010, 04:30 PM
So I want to buy a new slalom ski I havent skiied in a while but want to get back into it

Iam a agressive skier or was before I kinda quit

I am looking to buy a new ski but figured I would ask some questions here first

1. I am 6'3 ~ 245 lbs should I be looking at big shaped skis or skip them
2. If I get a shaped ski am I going to be happy after the summer I dont want to be able to out do my ski
3. I kinda looked at a big daddy connely but it says for speeds around 28mph can you go faster with it? The only time I skied this last summer I still crank 34-35 mph

4. double boot Ive never skied double boot because i never had a boat with enough power so we dragged behind the lund for hundrends of feet till you got going fast enough... how hard is it gonna be to learn to get up 2 booted

Im open to any brand and what you guys think would work well for me. I looked at connely skis cause thats what I grew up riding, It was something like a mike hazelwood pro model glass or something like??? All I remember is it was super agressive ski that never went straight EVER I kinda like that :)

Thanks guys

kaneboats
03-29-2010, 05:49 PM
Sounds like you need something like this one:

http://www.waterskis.com/HO-Triumph-Watersk-p/HO_Triumph_Waterski_Closeout.htm

I think my brother has the Magnum which is just about the same ski. You can get them for big guys and they will perform a little bit too.

jmvotto
03-29-2010, 08:37 PM
I have the synchro 69", works well for bigger weights. i was 225 last summer, get ups easy and cuts on a dime . this is a blank but you could get bindings at barts or overtons, etc.

http://www.h2oproshop.com/obrien-synchro-slalom-ski.html

Mikey
03-29-2010, 09:28 PM
Yes the skis above are definetely the better way to go with many others that will suit your needs. If you go the FATBOY route ,yes it will pop you up but you will be outskiing it or trying to overcome it very quickly. I tryed one years ago just to try one and it was very obvious ,although you can ski much slower. If you are looking to step back or if you never skied hard this may be the way to go but from your comments ,one of the slightly shaped skis is probably the better way. I was away for awhile and started back with a Triumph,which i still love but soon enough wanted more so now i ski a Monza which is very fast etc. Check out a couple sites and do your homework as there are lots of GOOD skis out there.

c.rix
03-29-2010, 09:39 PM
Thanks guys I like both choices

Kane-I live about 20 minutes from midwest mastercraft I honestly forgot about they're selection Im gonna go check it out tomorrow morning

jm- Thank for posting up that ski Im gonna go check out MWM tomorrow but may end up ordering that ski since it like 50% OFF :)

Mikey- Ive been learning about some of the newer skis And like you say the big shaped skis dont seem to be my style

How about double boots are you guys running them and how much harder is it gonna be for me to get up

maxpower220
03-29-2010, 09:53 PM
I have a couple of skis in the boat that may interest you.

1. The Connelly Pilot- yes, it is a "fat boy" or "I don't know anything about slalom skiing" ski. It has been great for the "husky" people that come out and want to slalom. It is a shaped ski and will cut very nicely. It is designed for skiing at 26-28 mph. I have skied on it and it is very easy to ski on. You can cut hard, probably harder than me as I weigh 160. I took it to 34 mph at 15' off and that was a mistake. The ski is not designed for that.

2. My wife skis on a Connelly FX (not F1X). It is a shaped ski with a wide front and tail. It is pretty easy to get up on and skis nicely. The shaped ski will help you "fall into" turns and it skis great from 26 up to 34 mph.

I personally prefer HO skis and I ski a Nitro and Monza. I bought the FX thinking I would like it, but I did not. My wife loves it. I bought a Connelly Concept and a F1 and hated both. I do have Connelly "Hinge Tech" bindings and LOVE them. I got them in HO plates and they are the best bindings I have ever had. Easy to get into and out of and give great support.

Being a "super aggressive" skier means different things to different people. Perhaps you can demo a few skis, many shops will let you demo and apply your rental charge toward the purchase of your ski. Good luck, we always need more slalom skiers on the lake.

c.rix
03-29-2010, 09:59 PM
Hey Kaneboats check this out what you think?

http://www.boardco.com/shopexd.asp?id=16996

I would get the 71 of course

Maxpower - I was thinking about the f1x but I agree I think that I will buy the hinge tech bindings my buddy has them for wakeboarding and theyre great

Super agressive to me is tuck in your arm or its gonna get ripped off :) there was a day where I could rip 7 years ago hahah but im stuck on the old technology

kaneboats
03-29-2010, 10:53 PM
You find something at that price you can't go wrong. You can always get your money back out of it on ebay. Still, try to demo a few. It's the best route if available. I have two bad knees and was never very good anyway so I shouldn't be giving advice. But, my brother is way better than I am and about 20 lbs. heavier-- closer to 240-- and he has the Triumph or Magnum 71 and loves it.

jmvotto
03-30-2010, 08:44 AM
If the triumh is with bindings, thats a steal. I bought the synchro with the targa bindings 2008 and the RTP , i did add the rear binding to the arsenal but have not skiied on it with the double boot. Last June had a baby and the water was choppy most weekends so we did alot of boarding and surfing, not much skiing. I hope to ski more this summer. plus i hope to be down to 195 by memorial day which with help the "out of shape pulls":)

http://www.waterskiworld.com/water_skis/obrien_waterski_bindings/Targa/targa.html

c.rix
03-30-2010, 10:17 AM
If the triumh is with bindings, thats a steal. I bought the synchro with the targa bindings 2008 and the RTP , i did add the rear binding to the arsenal but have not skiied on it with the double boot. Last June had a baby and the water was choppy most weekends so we did alot of boarding and surfing, not much skiing. I hope to ski more this summer. plus i hope to be down to 195 by memorial day which with help the "out of shape pulls":)

http://www.waterskiworld.com/water_skis/obrien_waterski_bindings/Targa/targa.html

It says its just the blank but its still seems like a decent deal considering the 09 triumph is 279-299 most places

I want the hinge tech connelly bindings anyway I love how easy they are to install my foot

BensonWdby
03-30-2010, 06:56 PM
c.rix - we are practically neighbors. I work in Bloomington and live in Woodbury. I got my first real slalom from Midwest WS. back when Jim Peterson was running it out of his basement in South Bloomington. If you guys find yourself needing a spotter some day give a shout..

Mikey
03-30-2010, 07:06 PM
Before you purchase a ski maybe look at some of the online ski sellers to compare prices ,as most usually have a clearout or blem section that are usually worth looking at. As for double boots and getting out ,Now that i have a boat with enough power to get me out properly i have double boots on both skis i own and wouldn't go back. It is a preference thing though so,maybe its what you want maybe not . I like the support and better control of double boots. As for online ,try Overtons ,Barts, Adrenaline etc.

c.rix
03-30-2010, 07:40 PM
c.rix - we are practically neighbors. I work in Bloomington and live in Woodbury. I got my first real slalom from Midwest WS. back when Jim Peterson was running it out of his basement in South Bloomington. If you guys find yourself needing a spotter some day give a shout..

haha funny I live off of 13 kinda by the menards... bloomington is a 3 minute drive depending on the light

Was that store the one on 13 I remember there being a water ski store there when I was younger across from menards/waldoch

I will I usually have the boat here in early spring then up in park rapids for the summer

c.rix
03-30-2010, 07:45 PM
Before you purchase a ski maybe look at some of the online ski sellers to compare prices ,as most usually have a clearout or blem section that are usually worth looking at. As for double boots and getting out ,Now that i have a boat with enough power to get me out properly i have double boots on both skis i own and wouldn't go back. It is a preference thing though so,maybe its what you want maybe not . I like the support and better control of double boots. As for online ,try Overtons ,Barts, Adrenaline etc.

yea definatly I have been looking around online kinda thinking about getting a toe plate and rear boot... get better at deep water starts then learn the double boot

I read a post somewhere some guys say with the double boots say they will cut slightly while coming up making it easier than staying straight and draggin all I know is im gonna get a ski for me!!! enough sking on that old 65 connelly struggling to get out then once up crank 34+ otherwise it handles like crap

kaneboats
03-30-2010, 09:02 PM
I used to get up behind a Johnson 90 with a boat full of people and had a double boot ski. Granted it would take about 10-12 seconds, but I never felt like the boot made a difference. Don't you shove your back foot in the RTP anyway?

c.rix
03-30-2010, 09:05 PM
no I get up with my back leg out use it like a rudder till up

kaneboats
03-30-2010, 09:15 PM
I couldn't even imagine trying that. You steer with your back foot, right. How do you ever learn to do that?

c.rix
03-30-2010, 09:32 PM
you drag it and use it to balance

I dont know how I learned thats how I always did it ???

kaneboats
03-30-2010, 09:33 PM
My dad would have beat my head against the side of the boat if I tried that one. He did enough of that anyway.

c.rix
03-30-2010, 09:37 PM
thats how my dad taught me all my uncles do it that way too ???

Its just the minnesota style

BensonWdby
03-31-2010, 07:42 AM
I always get up on one leg. We had to learn this way when we were using underpowered boats. That and with the cold water in MN we used to hop start a lot...

c.rix - MWWS was on 13 for a while, that is where I bought my Concept. But before that it was in Jim Petersons backyard off Overlook drive in Bloomington.

maxpower220
03-31-2010, 09:51 AM

Funny, I thought it was called "redneck" style. That is the way I 'self-taught' when I was a teenager behind a 16' bass boat with a 35hp Merc. The transition to staying in the RTP and double boot was easy once the appropriate boat was there to pull.

c.rix
03-31-2010, 11:55 AM
Funny, I thought it was called "redneck" style. That is the way I 'self-taught' when I was a teenager behind a 16' bass boat with a 35hp Merc. The transition to staying in the RTP and double boot was easy once the appropriate boat was there to pull.

thats good to hear "redneck style" will be a thing of the past

BensonWdby
03-31-2010, 05:43 PM
Andy Mapple skies with a RTP - so I feel in good company...

c.rix
03-31-2010, 06:04 PM
Andy Mapple skies with a RTP - so I feel in good company...

true that does he get up one footed too?

viking
04-01-2010, 01:24 AM
thats how my dad taught me all my uncles do it that way too ???

Funny! I learned that way too..........
Maybe because I spent all my summers out in Minnesota on Pelican Lake north of Brainerd. Anyhow, Ski on a HO Freeride Burner right now with Double Boots and like that much more than RTP. Just my .02.

c.rix
04-01-2010, 10:55 AM
Funny! I learned that way too..........
Maybe because I spent all my summers out in Minnesota on Pelican Lake north of Brainerd. Anyhow, Ski on a HO Freeride Burner right now with Double Boots and like that much more than RTP. Just my .02.

I think that Im gonna buy the boots and a rtp incase I decide I hate it whats 50 bucks right

viking
04-01-2010, 01:47 PM
I think that Im gonna buy the boots and a rtp incase I decide I hate it whats 50 bucks right

Good idea. I actually bought my ski with the RTP and ordered a matching second boot after the fact :)

c.rix
04-01-2010, 09:01 PM
Good idea. I actually bought my ski with the RTP and ordered a matching second boot after the fact :)

Well guys I pulled the trigger and bought the triumph I found for $168 now I just need to settle on some boots

The guy at midwest said that the connellys won't work unless they're 2010 model and I hate full retail so I'm looking for left over 09 boots let me know what u guys have had luck with also I'm gonna man up and double boot it pat talked me into them at midwest master craft

Mikey
04-01-2010, 09:04 PM
I/we learned to start one footed for a variety of reasons and situations. Ie jump start off a dock ,beach dropping a ski, whatever and only deepwater start when necessary or after a fall. Sometimes getting wet wasn't even a requirement if landing back at shore or a dock.
Two feet in is a different story and the skis i have now also get a lot more care with regard to scratches etc except for on the back of the swimdeck preparing to ski.
As mentioned before having a capable boat pulling you out also makes a world of difference.

maxpower220
04-01-2010, 09:21 PM
The guy at midwest said that the connellys won't work unless they're 2010 model

I have 2008 model Connelly Draft bindings with HO pattern (only need this for the front boot as HO/Connelly rears are the same). I picked them up online (or the phone) from Performance Ski and Surf in FL. The HO pattern may be hard to find, but I would bet that someone has them in a box somewhere.

zegm
04-02-2010, 07:26 AM
Performance Surf and Ski guys are awesome! they will let you try things first and then if it don't work ship it back before they charge you.

Sled491
04-02-2010, 11:53 PM
You won't be disappointed with the triumph, it is a great ski. A lot of Pros use it in the off season to slow down and work on technique. The bottom line is that shaped skiis are meant to be skied slower. One of our group had an HO Burner. He gets up like he's sitting in a chair, but the thing has no, none, zero stability after 28mph. The fact that he was skiing it at 34 for the last year still blows my mind.

Yes and Mapple is a RTP guy, but then again he just might be a bit better than the rest of us, well except for you Dave :). For most rec skiers and even aspiring tournament wannabes the Double boot just makes life easier.

viking
04-03-2010, 01:24 AM
You won't be disappointed with the triumph, it is a great ski. A lot of Pros use it in the off season to slow down and work on technique. The bottom line is that shaped skiis are meant to be skied slower. One of our group had an HO Burner. He gets up like he's sitting in a chair, but the thing has no, none, zero stability after 28mph. The fact that he was skiing it at 34 for the last year still blows my mind.

Yes and Mapple is a RTP guy, but then again he just might be a bit better than the rest of us, well except for you Dave :). For most rec skiers and even aspiring tournament wannabes the Double boot just makes life easier.

REALLY...........?
I use that same ski at around 33mph. Didn't know any difference? I thought it handled fine:confused: But then again, I'm just a rec. skier so I've never really taken turns on a high dollar ski either. Good to know Sled!
I need to find somebody local that is more professional and go out for a day or 2 :cool:

Sled491
04-03-2010, 09:56 AM
I can be flown in any where any time :) My advice is free, and I can sleep just about anywhere :D

BensonWdby
04-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Sled - I tried a few times getting up with two feet in on my ski and found it difficult, probably just because it was different from what I had been doing for so long.

I think Andy still has a few moves on me... But the theory is - to be succesful find someone who is and do what they do. Ofcourse there are a lot of pros using dual hard shells also...

And Sled - I have relatively firm plans to go down to Lquid Edge in Farmer City for a Mon-Thurs training gig, probably the first or second week in June. If you are at the lake the following Friday - maybe I'll swing by.

Dave

Sled491
04-03-2010, 11:49 AM
We'll be there!

Jeff W
04-07-2010, 01:52 PM
I'm laughing at this thread about the "minnesota way" to get up..

I learned that same thing behind a 14 foot lund with a 35 horse on it.. One foot in, one foot out to rudder and wait a minute or two until you get on plane..

:D

I assume that you aren't selling your boat anymore C.Rix? We'll be out doing some wakeboarding on Marion on Saturday. My boat is in the driveway but I've got a month of projects I haven't even started yet.

Waynes345
04-12-2010, 12:00 AM
Well guys I pulled the trigger and bought the triumph I found for $168 now I just need to settle on some boots

The guy at midwest said that the connellys won't work unless they're 2010 model and I hate full retail so I'm looking for left over 09 boots let me know what u guys have had luck with also I'm gonna man up and double boot it pat talked me into them at midwest master craft

c.rix - I'm about the same size as you and got a Triumph last summer. You won't be disappointed, especially at that price. I also learned dragging my back foot and use a RTP. Never been able to get up with both feet in. Worked with my kids early and they start both feet in and are now pushing me for double high wraps.