PDA

View Full Version : New Carpet

byronkoz
03-29-2010, 03:34 PM
Well I guess they changed the type of carpet they put in our boats in 07. I understand why. No matter what I did I just couldnt keep the carpet looking clean and it had totally flattened out. The stuff they're using now is WAY better and a bit differant color but I think it looks a thousand times better. Theres a few more pics of the prosess in my profile under upgrades.

dusty2221
03-29-2010, 05:14 PM
I did not realize the whole floor comes out like that. I wonder if it's the same in my Launch 20SSV...the carpet is pretty worn in it.

The new looks great!

stretch55
03-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Where did you get the new carpet? And how much did it run?

sandm
03-29-2010, 05:24 PM
I did not realize the whole floor comes out like that. I wonder if it's the same in my Launch 20SSV...the carpet is pretty worn in it.

The new looks great!

i don't believe it does. look at the way the carpet is ran under the supports for the lounge seating.. you can see the floor pieces that are removable from the seams in the floor. I think we are stuck ripping out the old stuff up to the edges and laying in new around, but leaving the stuff under the seating or ripping out the entire top of the boat..

looks nice...

byronkoz
03-29-2010, 05:34 PM
Where did you get the new carpet? And how much did it run?

I had to order it through the dealer. It was like $22 a square yard I think? I have the reciept at home, i'll check and make sure. It cost me like $150 to do the floor and have enough left over to do my sub box and the bottom of the back seat that comes out. If you give them your hull numbers they can tell you what carpet you need.

byronkoz
03-29-2010, 09:24 PM
Ok the carpet is 40 oz Sterling GT and it was $20 a sq yard.

brain_rinse
03-29-2010, 09:37 PM
Nice work! I really wish I could pull the whole floor like that in my boat.

mcdye
03-29-2010, 09:48 PM
can you provide more info on the process...removing the old..cleanup prior to regluing..

byronkoz
03-30-2010, 12:41 PM
Thanks for the compliments guys.

can you provide more info on the process...removing the old..cleanup prior to regluing..

The old carpet had staples on the underside were it folded over and was just glued on the top. I pulled the old off (came off real easy) and all that was left was glue. Used a paint brush to spread Contact Cement over the old glue and on the back of the new carpet. Let set till tacky, installed carpet and then stapled on the back side a couple hours later after it was dry.

Heres a pic of how I traced out the new carpet. Oh and I used the old carpet as a template to cut the hole for the seat base. Hope that helps.

mcdye
03-30-2010, 12:54 PM
thanks for the update...looks great.

mmandley
04-01-2010, 10:56 AM
Looks real nice man realy nice

As for the 08 LSVs yea it sucks, I know Newty is pretty miticulous about cleaning his boat as am i. My carpet likes to get flat and i vacume it and it looks a lot better but still doesnt take to much time before it looks flat again.

Only parts i see comming out easy are the 2 alluminum floor panels covering the fuel tank. After that i think you have to remove a lot of bolts and at best slide the edges of the carpet under the riser where the seats are.

I think this will be a 3rd or 4th season job but as for now i try to keep it as clean as possible and vacume it a lot.

Newty, if me and you deside to do this, its your boats turn to be the test subject, mine was the test subject for cutting up the panel for the stereo remote haha

byronkoz
04-08-2010, 10:22 PM
So finally got the new carpet on my sub and cup holders and back in the boat.

Aquaholic
04-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Sweet!! What were the measurements of the box? Nice job.

Aqua

morgan040
04-12-2010, 10:17 AM
I love this!! This is something I will definatly be doing in the near future!! Great idea.

byronkoz
04-13-2010, 01:27 PM
Sweet!! What were the measurements of the box? Nice job.

Aqua

Sorry just saw this. The box is approx. 16 L X 14 H X 10 D = 1.3 FT3

ian ashton
04-13-2010, 05:58 PM
I wonder what it would cost to have someone completely remove and finish the floor and add snap-in carpet. This sounds like something I want to do come fall, lol...

Razzman
04-14-2010, 11:28 AM
I wonder what it would cost to have someone completely remove and finish the floor and add snap-in carpet. This sounds like something I want to do come fall, lol...

Ian i had thought of that as well. There's a couple of problems with that as i see it. I seriously doubt the floor is finished gel coat and every snap in setup i've seen leaves gaps where the floor shows around the carpet, especially on locker doors, etc. So you'd more than likely see black or gray composite floor.

The other issue is that being as the carpet is one piece on the floor and then the upper deck is installed and bolted down you can't easily remove ALL the carpet. So you have to cut it somewhere. Cut around the floor perimeter and you'll see it under the rubber base strip. Cut behind the seat base and you'll have a gap you'll also see.

byronkoz
04-14-2010, 11:59 AM
Yeah the floor is pretty ugly. The floor is actually fiberglass and isnt finished at all. It could be sanded and then gel coated to make it look nice but that would be quite a bit of work as well.

Razzman
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
Yeah the floor is pretty ugly. The floor is actually fiberglass and isnt finished at all. It could be sanded and then gel coated to make it look nice but that would be quite a bit of work as well.

Yeah WAY too much work! I'm with the school of thought to just cut out the floor section when bad and glue in better carpet to the rubber sole molding, or cut back to the other side and slide the new under. If done right you'd never know the diff except when looking into lockers and who cares there. My locker carpet still looks like new!

I'm going to actually use the wifes Bissell carpet shampoo thingy on mine. It's nice and compact and should get into almost everywhere, at least to the worst areas. I think what i'll do is using a brush, carpet cleaner and water first scrub the entire thing gently and suck up the mess with the shop vac, then use the Bissell. We'll see how it goes.

kaneboats
04-14-2010, 01:11 PM
Go over it with hot water several times when you get done. Try to get all the soap out of the carpet. Reason: The soap left in there will actually grab onto dirt and make the carpet look bad again sooner. Take it from a guy with 6 kids in the house. ;)

Razzman
04-14-2010, 01:22 PM
Go over it with hot water several times when you get done. Try to get all the soap out of the carpet. Reason: The soap left in there will actually grab onto dirt and make the carpet look bad again sooner. Take it from a guy with 6 kids in the house. ;)

Good tip, yea i have 5 grandson and another on the way! I may have to upgrade in a few years! http://www.sherv.net/talking/swf/funny/9.gif

ian ashton
04-14-2010, 05:12 PM
Ian i had thought of that as well. There's a couple of problems with that as i see it. I seriously doubt the floor is finished gel coat and every snap in setup i've seen leaves gaps where the floor shows around the carpet, especially on locker doors, etc. So you'd more than likely see black or gray composite floor.

The other issue is that being as the carpet is one piece on the floor and then the upper deck is installed and bolted down you can't easily remove ALL the carpet. So you have to cut it somewhere. Cut around the floor perimeter and you'll see it under the rubber base strip. Cut behind the seat base and you'll have a gap you'll also see.

Yea, I know the floor is definately ugly. I meant I wonder what it would cost to hire someone to actually finish the floor, like sand/fill/gel coat it, lol.

The trimming issue around the ends is a good point, hmmm...

ian ashton
04-14-2010, 05:16 PM
And my carpet looks fairly decent; I believe I have the "new" kind, and I just power wash it every so often. It definately still gets matted though.

seanpatsdad
04-14-2010, 11:30 PM
Is that grey or charcoal? Just would like to order the same for my 04 LSV.

byronkoz
04-15-2010, 10:59 AM
Is that grey or charcoal? Just would like to order the same for my 04 LSV.

Dealer said it was 40 oz Sterling GT.

seanpatsdad
04-15-2010, 10:40 PM
Thanks for the info.looks great.
John

deafgoose
09-16-2010, 12:18 AM
I tried to remove my floor today with no luck.

I removed all the screws and there is no way I could lift it up.

What else needs to be removed for the floor to come up?

lewisb13
09-16-2010, 08:53 AM
Theres a bunch of screws under the seats that you cant see....

deafgoose
09-16-2010, 12:39 PM
Theres a bunch of screws under the seats that you cant see....

Bingo. Thanks!!!!

I tried to see if I could remove the seat but I couldn't figure it out.

Any tips?

jmvotto
09-16-2010, 12:51 PM
mine were only on the perimeter of the floor. nothing under the seats. It kinda stuck by the bow walk thru( driver side) from some excess carpet glue.

Came out quite easily 10 to 12 screws i believe.

pic 1 to 3 are of the floor , hope the 08 is the same as the 07

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=12552

MNKid
04-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Does any one know if the OB floor would come out like this OBV? I would love to replace the carpet in my 07. :(

ian ashton
04-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Old thread...

I don't believe the Outback floor is removable like this - my Outback has a big panel in the back that comes out - the rest appears to be a permanent part of the hull.

MNKid
04-29-2011, 07:26 PM
Yea I know it is an old tread, I was searching looking for options. Hoping someone else out there had replaced thier OB carpet and have some advice...it's a shame that after only 4 seasons and 125 hours that the carpet makes the whole boat look old.

mmandley
05-02-2011, 10:31 AM
The good side of it is the carpet is only glued in. If you want to take the time you can pull it all out, sand down all the glue to remove it or chemical base it off. Then you have to trim out the new carpet and glue it down.

This is why you hear a lot of chatter about people wanting snap out carpet, Sea Deck floors and such.

If you have tried pressure spraying it, taking a metal dog brush to it to fluff it, steam cleaned it and it still looks bad those are your options above friend.

Razzman
05-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Somebody on Wakeworld claims his carpet looked totally trashed. He says he pressure washed it twice then using a brush and OxyClean went over the whole thing and pressure washed again. Claims it looks new when done.

newty
05-02-2011, 02:43 PM
I'm currently still waiting... for carpet. I ended up going with the 32oz sterling because its the same color. The 32oz is the Moomba "option" but 22oz is standard equip. The 40oz is the supra standard equip but also a little different color.
I ordered an 8'x13' and its going to cost me nearly $300.:confused:

Anyway, had I know the better carpet was an option I'd would have ordered it with the boat. I'm hoping to have the carpet this week and get it done this weekend. I hope to have it well documented for you guys and be able to answer any q's.

I'll keep you posted.

ian ashton
05-02-2011, 02:52 PM
My issue isn't in getting the carpet to look new - I pressure was it and scrub, and get it looking pretty good. My problem isn't getting it to look good, its keeping it looking good. Seems like after no time at all its back to looking totally crappy. I wish your results with tearing out and replacing with something else would have been better, I'd love to SeaDek this thing. Maybe I'll just go with a darker carpet or something...

newty
05-02-2011, 04:29 PM
Ian, maybe you could! Do you have a bunch of false panels in you floor? If not you might be able to. Also maybe get some samples and look at wrapping the panels so the hydroturf or the like would have a more finished look by tucking into the seams.

FamilyMatters
05-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Great Job Its beautiful

I hope it's better than what they put in the 09. Mine had 30 hours and the guy said he used it 4 times and it was already flattened out and looked old.

Peace
Darren

davinci
05-09-2011, 11:47 PM
I'm curious to know how you guys pressure wash the carpets with the sub there ??

newty
05-10-2011, 08:45 AM
I'd just avoid the area. Tyipically that area doesn't get that dirty anyway. Scrub by hand is another option.

Sea N' Things
05-10-2011, 01:02 PM
32oz carpet is not an option from the factory at time of build as I wanted to upgrade and well...the dealer didn't have an option for it.

tazz3069
05-20-2011, 07:39 AM
I would love to change the carpet in my boat. It looks like its been in there for 10 years. My boat sits in the garage until it is used. I see that the 22oz is standard. I wonder if there is a better carpet out there that can stand up to the abuse. I really do not want to spend the money and time replacing the carpet if it is going to look like garbage after a few trips out. I really do not care about the carpet in the rear lockers or under the seat. I just want the carpet change out that is visible.

ian ashton
05-20-2011, 07:32 PM
I'm curious to know how you guys pressure wash the carpets with the sub there ??

I just don't blast the sub area, lol. My enclosure is coating with a lot of fiberglass, so the water doesn't much matter. When I pressure wash I pull the rear floor panel up, and jack the boat up really high so all the water runs to the back and funnels into the engine compartment, then when I lower it back down it just pumps everything out the bilge.

newty
05-22-2011, 12:51 AM
I would love to change the carpet in my boat. It looks like its been in there for 10 years. My boat sits in the garage until it is used. I see that the 22oz is standard. I wonder if there is a better carpet out there that can stand up to the abuse. I really do not want to spend the money and time replacing the carpet if it is going to look like garbage after a few trips out. I really do not care about the carpet in the rear lockers or under the seat. I just want the carpet change out that is visible.

Tazz check my install thread!

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=14746