PDA

View Full Version : 2 Questions

Hydrofoiljunky
03-27-2010, 05:10 PM
First time I've ever left my boat out of the garage with temperatures dipping into the high 20's to low 30's at night. Do you think If I just drained the block, I'll be alright? Do I need to do the water intake hose and all the rest of it like for winterization. Put a Heater in for good measure. I can't stand it anymore, I'm heading out tomorrow with a high of 65, but like I say nightime temps scare me. I don't think I'll be able to sleep :-) Some of you guys know what I'm talking bout :-)

Also, dealer only gave me one reason not to tow with this type of cover, stating that the straps will flap in the wind and rub your gelcoat creating problems. Has anyone ever towed with this cover before? I was thinking of putting some Saran Wrap or some type of Foam Pad that encases the straps so I could tow with it. What do ya'll think? Am I peeing up a rope? LOL

DOCDRS
03-27-2010, 05:49 PM
one night at 29 is most likely not going to do anything. Iff your boat is at 65 during the day say with the cover open , then you close the cover at night i bet you'll find the heat from the boat won't let it get below 35 degrees during the night. plus its a black boat and going to absorb alot of heat .
my .02

the dealer is right about the gel coat and the straps. at higway speeds they can vibrate and dull the gel coat real quick

04OUTBACK
03-27-2010, 06:28 PM
A Plug in shop light in the motor compartment will keep it warmer too.
you should be fine though.

I have same style cover but older canvas material. i have towed some.. it will rub the gel coat. try something around the straps that's soft.

skiyaker
03-27-2010, 06:31 PM
I've towed with that cover before- but your not supposed to because as you said there is a risk of gel coat damage. What I did was take a pool noodle and cut about a 1 foot section then slit it lengthwise; insert it over the strap. I lost about five of them before I decided to then take a wrist band and place it around the noodle to hold it in place. So far that's worked OK without any damage but I've only used it for short (1 hr) trips.