PDA

View Full Version : Engine Drain Plug

98outback
03-24-2010, 07:39 AM
This week I was getting the boat ready for the water again and decided to change the drain plug on my engine. I have a 2003 Supra SSV with the 5.7 TBI engine. One side has the knock sendsor and the other side has the drain plug. Last summer I had a hard time getting the drain plug back in because the threads in the block rusted some even though I had put a little grease on them. So this year I got a brass fitting from my work with a cap that I installed so I will not have to remove the plug anymore from teh block and take a chance of messing up the threads. I can just remove the cap on the end. I just wanted to post this incase others are interested. Just screwed the threaded end into the block and then the cap on the other end.

zabooda
03-24-2010, 03:59 PM
I've used those for years and that is one of the first thing I do when I get a boat is to replace the petcocks. The petcocks clog and you can't get a wrench on them. My 1979 Glastron I had to open up the drains by feel and they made that work so much easier. The ones I use are two pieces but you can drain without taking the cap all of the way off.

jester
03-24-2010, 05:27 PM
That is a great idea. I had a hard time getting my plugs in this year also. This would be very useful.

LSV04
03-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Can you buy these somewhere??? I need them, I'm looking into a thread cleaner???