PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Runway Lights

bjames
03-23-2010, 11:22 AM
I just ordered the runway light kit from Boatmate bu t have a question for anyone who already has them installed.

From what I recal when talking to the boatmate rep, the lights are controlled by a water switch - so that when the switch is in the water, the lights turn on. My question is, can the lights be connected to the running lights so that they are on during trailering. I was thinking it might look interesting with them on during trailering.

mmandley
03-23-2010, 11:46 AM
Drop me the link you used to get these ive been toying with this idea as well bro.

As for towing with them all the time you jsut bypass the switch and wire them to the running lights and they will be on when the regular trailer lights are on.

As for Legality issues you will need to follow the DOT rules.

Those state only Red lights can be at the rear, only yellow lights can be on the sides and white light can be on the front.

Basically for the trailer you can have red in the back and orange in the center. White lights are not allowed as well as Green, Blue, Pink, Red, and any custom colors on the centers of the trailer facing the hull at night as this is considered a distraction to other drivers.

Id like to get some and from what i have spoke to the Po Po about anything in-front of the trailer axle has to be Orange, or yellow and anything behind the axle has to be Red. Basically follow the current lighting structure on your trailer and your good to go.

I want to do a Red on the rear, with Orange on the outer rails as i really want it for night time effect not loading my boat as its illegal on all the waters i frequent to have my boat in the water after dark.

Razzman
03-23-2010, 12:05 PM
Exactly, amber showing forward & red to the rear. Anything else displaying will get you a ticket, especially if it's a driver dictraction and a boat & trailer combo lit up like xmas will certainly be a driver distraction.

stretch55
03-23-2010, 12:35 PM
You can by pass the floater and wire them straight into the normal trailer lights. But Keep in mind that thees are designed as a "runway" in the water. Not as trailer accent lighting. I do not know if you can change the bulbs in theese out for orange or red or whatever. If you are looking for some sort of accent light set up like Mike is then I would use the super flux LED's. They are super bright, water proof, you can get them in Red or Orange. I am not trying to steer anyone away from buying the runway light kit from boatmate. But if you are not going to use as it is intended for then you might as well do something custom rigjht from the start.

On another note could you do Orange all the way from the tounge to the rear? Or Orange from the tounge to the fenders and Red from the frnfers to the rear?

I have attached the link for the superflux LED's. You would need to drill the holes in the trailer. run wire in the trailer and piggy back from light to light. I would drill the holes snug for the LED's and set them in some slear silicone to help hold them in as well as sealing the holes.

http://www.oznium.com/marine-led-floodlight

Razzman
03-23-2010, 01:19 PM
The boatmate kit is LEDs.

dusty2221
03-23-2010, 02:11 PM
I wanted to make my own, using the superflux, but the thought of fishing the wires in and out of the holes inside the square tubing trailer......ugh....yuck. Thats alot of headache and even more dirty words...

stretch55
03-23-2010, 03:24 PM
I think that you have to fish the wires out weather you use your own LED's or the runway light kit from boatmate. I just don't know if you can change the LED bulbs themself from white to orangeand or red in the runway kit.

bjames
03-23-2010, 06:09 PM
Exactly, amber showing forward & red to the rear. Anything else displaying will get you a ticket, especially if it's a driver dictraction and a boat & trailer combo lit up like xmas will certainly be a driver distraction.

Im not quite sure I understand. How do all the boat manufactures get away with having laser cut steps with the boat name glowing white with a white halo shining down onto the road? Laser cut front side steps are common on lots of trailers. There must have to be a good argument for what is considered a distraction.

I wouldnt think the runway lights are very bright, at least the ones I saw at the boat show seem fairly dim compared to the other LED running lights. The primary reason for installing the kit is because I am usually loading the boat after dark, then heading back to the city. I was thinking it may look neat with a bit of ligh up-shining onto the boat hull. But if Im asking for trouble, then I will wire it up using the water switch.:)

mmandley
03-23-2010, 07:26 PM
Like i said iw as talking to the Po Po and it could always get it and install it and try it for a night trailer accent light.

The laser etched isn't that bright and it designed to be a dull white glow but also they have an orange marker light near it as well.

I was just looking at that Boatmate kit, 135.00 and it has a big computer type box to mount. It looked like you still have to run a main line and splice all the LEDs in and for that cost i would think it would be cheaper to by a couple dozen off http://www.oznium.com/prewired-superflux and wire them up yourself as well.

I'm torn what way to go and this is why this project is down the list. Plus all the current projects are boat related, i was planning on next winter to be trailer upgrades LOL.

mmandley
03-24-2010, 01:33 AM
Jony do you know what color those Boat Mate kits are? They look White but LEDs can be a lot of colors despite the outside color.

stretch55
03-24-2010, 01:39 AM
I think they are white. The ones on the Axis trailers are white...

mmandley
03-24-2010, 01:42 AM
I was looking at that Boat Mate kit and even still the lights are bigger but i don't see a main line, are they still expecting you to just run a line and splice all those in?

stretch55
03-24-2010, 01:43 AM
Yeah, I think that you have to run one line and either spice each light in or piggy back from one to another.

iwakeboard
03-24-2010, 09:48 AM
Here ya go fellas, Jerry at Boatmate hooked me up with this:

http://i39.tinypic.com/200dvfm.jpg

badasshybrid
03-25-2010, 01:58 AM
I use a couple different waterproof leds for runway lights. I can do 2 3' sections or 2 2' and 2 1' sections of led strips that have 3m double sided tape to hold the leds to the trailer. Very simple to use just tapped into the parking lights or hook them up to a switch. Can do just about any color you want and come ready to hook up. These light up pretty good in and out of the water. Outside the water looks like the pic on the first page only alot brighter.

2 - 3' sections = 90.00 + shipping

2 - 2' sections and 2 - 1' = 90.00 + shipping

6 - 1' sections = 100.00 + shipping

2 - for laser cut steps = 25.00 + shipping