PDA

View Full Version : Perfect Pass Stargazer

morgan040
03-22-2010, 06:02 PM
I just had The Perfect Pass Wakeboard Stargazer (GPS) installed in my 05 Outback V. I tested it yesterday and it worked great. I still have some settings to play with but man what a difference from the Moomba cruise. That thing was garbage!!!

BobP
03-23-2010, 02:56 PM
We have an 08 OBV with Moomba Cruise which is not the greatest, what is the install like for the Perfect Pass...difficult? not too hard? how does it fit into the dash? Also, what are typical costs to have it installed?

Sorry for all of the questions.

dtlaine
03-28-2010, 10:19 PM
It is about a 25-30 minute install. Seriously, it's that easy. It's worth every dime, too.

BobP
03-29-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks, I think I'm going to take the plunge and order one.

skiyaker
03-29-2010, 12:57 PM
Bop P- I just had PP installed on my 08 OBV- I paid the $45 labor charge to have it installed in the offseason because I wanted it to be ready to go-but let me know if you need any pics when you do your install. Looks plug and play. Mine is the standard version not the stargazer though.

BobP
03-29-2010, 01:22 PM
Thanks Folks! This forum is great. Hopefully I don't run into any issues.

c.rix
03-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Thanks Folks! This forum is great. Hopefully I don't run into any issues.

How much is it to upgrade to PP?

BobP
03-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Well, I just did it....PP StarGazer Wake Edition, about $1K delivered direct from PP. You might be able to find cheaper at Skier to Skier, I just felt more comfortable ordering directly from PP.

Now to break it to the wife :D

BobP
04-01-2010, 12:56 AM
Well, got it today, very fast delivery. For me they sent a pod that appears to replace the Moomba Cruise pod, sits in the middle of the dash. I'm not sure how the Moomba Cruise pod is installed so not sure how hard it will be to remove and replace with the PP. Also, in 08 the dash is slightly different than 09+, hopefully this will work in my boat...unfortunately wont see it until next weekend.

BobP
04-01-2010, 08:44 AM
Thanks EdG, that's good to know. Yes, the aldl was included.

morgan040
04-12-2010, 02:16 PM
Wow!!! I got raped!!! I had gotton quotes from the moomba dealer and the Nautique dealer and both quoted me over $1500 for everything.

I ended up paying like $1150 for parts and $200 for the labor, I thought I got a good deal untill I read all of this. I thought there was gonna be a lot more stuff to do the install. I didnt have any Perfect Pass at all but I guess i should have done more research oh well now.

Canuckle Head
04-25-2010, 07:49 PM
Hey there,

Prabably a dumb question but can anyone tell me what length of stainless steel screw they used to install the control unit? :confused:

Reese350
04-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Ordered my PP Stargazer upgrade on Friday. Should be here tomorrow. Can't wait to try it out!

Canuckle Head
04-26-2010, 01:00 PM
Thanks Ed. The installation manual says to use stainless steel. I was thinking 1/2" but I trust you. :D

Cheers!

brenpire
04-26-2010, 07:24 PM
Has anyone upgraded from Perfect Pass Digital Pro 6.5 to StarGazer? Is it work the $$?

Canuckle Head
04-27-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks Ed. My kit did not include the screws. Out of curiosity, where did you mount your control unit? Got any pictures?

Thanks in advance.

Wade

Canuckle Head
04-27-2010, 01:02 PM
Thank you sir!

Reese350
05-01-2010, 11:05 AM
I just installed my new PP Stargazer. Incredibly easy install. I thought I remember seeing how you could get it to read the temp through the paddle wheel but I can't seem to find any info on it.

Anyone have insight on how to do it? I couldn't find any mention in the manual.

jamiemjansen
05-03-2010, 11:08 AM
All in all it was quite easy. I did it myself. To save yourself some time just take up the floor to run the cable to the back. Seat comes up with it and the floor is heavy (may want 2 people but did it myself). I'd give you about a 2% chance of ever getting a fish tape from the steering console to the back without taking the floor up. There is less than 2 inches between the gas tank and the floor to get through. The only other time consumer was taking out the tach and the right speedometer. Need to replace speedometer with new Perfect pass gauge and you may as well take out the tach to connect power and signal for RPM mode. In this boat, a 90 minute install is possible, but more like 2 hours and that is if you take the floor up when you are ready to run the cable.

If I did it again I'd do it like this in this order:

Mount Servo
Take out speedo and tach and wire in the cables for the dash.
Mount Module and plug cables in.
Take up floor and run cable and connect.
Put floor back and test system.

Good luck. Can't wait to try it on the water.

Canuckle Head
05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
I installed mine this weekend and it took no more than an hour to do. I have a 2007 Outback V so it was a piece of cake install. Most of the time was spent making sure where to place the control unit and bundiling wires up under the dash so that it's clean.

Now I just gotta wait for some decent weather to get her out for a test drive. Thanks for your help Ed.

Wade

Reese350
05-03-2010, 01:59 PM
Ed,

I haven't had it in the water yet but I assumed there was something special I had to do to get it to read the temp. Are you saying it should just work because the wiring harness that came from the speedo has what it needs to read the temp? That would be awesome!

Thanks!
Scott

BobP
05-04-2010, 12:13 AM
Scott, not sure what boat you have, but in our 08 OBV the PP stargazer replaced the moomba cruise, the connections were from the old moomba cruise and the an unused harness connecter. For us, the speedo connection was not touched. I still haven't fired ours up yet, but I'm not expecting to see the temp, if I do that would be great.

dru1974
05-04-2010, 01:40 AM
Where do you ski? I used to go to alluette by maple ridge. It was really nice
do you have any pics of your install?

Reese350
05-04-2010, 08:32 AM
Called PP this morning and they are telling me that it should pick up the temp. I will have to look closer when I get back home. That would be great news.

Canuckle Head
05-04-2010, 12:54 PM
Where do you ski? I used to go to alluette by maple ridge. It was really nice
do you have any pics of your install?

Hey there,

I live in Victoria which is on Vancouver Island. I usually tow my boat up to Lake Cowichan up near Duncan or up to Sprout Lake in Port Alberni on the weekends. In the evenings after work I'll usually throw her in Elk Lake as it's usually not too crazy busy.

No pictures of the install but it was pretty darn easy. The hardest part was convincing myself that I was only disconnecting the Moomba Cruise and not something else.

BobP
05-04-2010, 01:12 PM
EdG, so you are saying I should see temp with just replacing Moomba Cruise and not touching the speedo? If that's the case, that is awesome.

BobP
05-04-2010, 10:59 PM
Thanks. I just thought that since the PP does not connect to the paddle wheel that temperature was not available, I guess it must be present in the unused connector for PP.

tazz3069
05-05-2010, 08:35 AM
Mine reads water temp not air temp. I guess I need to look at it closer. I have had mine in for two years and never noticed the air temp.

BobP
05-05-2010, 09:18 AM
Tazz, I think EdG is referring to when the boat is out of the water it will record ambient air temp....I think.

EdG, I guess I'm not totally sure if it is connected to the paddle wheel...all I know is that the speedo was not touched, one connector to PP goes to old Moomba Cruise connecter - one connector to PP goes to previously unused "PP ready" connector. Maybe one of these have input from the paddle wheel. You mentioned someone else who changed the Moomba Cruise for the PP display unit, do you know if they see the temp displayed?

I'll see our boat again this weekend, hopefully I can connect the power and see what I get...also hope to put it in the water :D

jamiemjansen
05-05-2010, 04:07 PM
Pretty sure if you upgrade from old PP to new stargazer you can connect up to the old paddle wheel and get temp. I just put in Stargazer Mechanical (see previous post about 10 ago), and I am certain I do not see Temp but then again, no previous paddlewheel. So, when I hooked up Stargazer to my boat, there is a wire back to the server (nothing touching the water to pick up temp there, and I tied the other wires to the Tach (again, no where does the tach connect to anything that picks up water temp). So, I can confidently say, unless you have upgraded your old paddlewheel style perfect pass to the new stargazer, you will not pickup water temp. I wouldn't put a paddle wheel in just to get water temp anyway. I do however have a fish finder (came with the boat) that does show me water temp (all I really ever turn it on for).

morgan040
05-06-2010, 01:49 PM
I dont get any water temp reading either. I went from moomba cruise to Stargazer and no temp.

aaroncat
05-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Jixim also installed the PP Stargazer and got the temp displayed without anything special just like Ed.

Ed, when you say you went with the upgrade did you have another PP system in then upgraded to Stargazer? I just have the Moomba Cruise and am very keen to get the Stargazer, do I need an upgrade (~$500) or the full kit (~$1000)?

Reese350
05-10-2010, 06:20 AM
No temp for me either. Went from Moomba Cruise to Stargazer on a 2007 Outback using the pre-wired PP harness and the Moomba Cruise connector. Bummer.

Reese350
05-10-2010, 06:15 PM
Ed,

When the PP power is off, it displays the time after it has established GPS connection. I've attached a pic. Hopefully, it comes through.

Scott

Canuckle Head
05-14-2010, 10:30 AM
Hi Ed,

Wanted to let you know that I put my battery back into my boat last night, turned on the ignition and voila! There was a water temp reading on my recently installed Stargazer PP Wake Edition. (of course it was the air temp but hey, its there!) And, mine was not an upgrade either. Maybe it has something to do with the year of the boat?

BobP
05-24-2010, 09:19 AM
We finally got the boat in the water this weekend, and yes, we do see the water temp as well on the pp display. Ours was a moomba cruise to pp stargazer upgrade. Tried PP, without towing anybody, but already seems smoother than moomba cruise.

morgan040
05-25-2010, 10:15 AM
This is really frustrating to me, it seems some get the temp and some dont!?!?!?

I had mine installed at the dealer and dont get the temp. I had moomba cruise to PP Stargazer, on an 05 OBV.

I agree that maybe its the year of boat???? .....maybe....

morgan040
05-25-2010, 10:26 AM
OK, I just spoke with Gary at Perfect Pass, He told me if you have the upgrade the temp will read from the old PP paddle wheel.

If you go from Moomba Cruise to the PP Stargazer then he needs to send me a "custom" wire that will go from a hanging connector behind the dash with a brown and a white wire that comes from the OEM Moomba paddle wheel, to the brain of the PP unit.

I am not sure why they wouldnt include this wire when I bought the unit, but he told me it would be $12 if I wanted him to send it to me.