PDA

View Full Version : Speedo and tac adjustment knobs

stretch55
03-22-2010, 02:39 PM
Are theese knobs supposed to be really loose? I cap barely touch mine and they will spin. Are they supposed to be tight or loose?

brain_rinse
03-22-2010, 03:13 PM
I don't have a tach adjustment knob (that I know of anyway) but my speedo knob was very loose. Once I got it set I taped it up.

mmandley
03-22-2010, 09:55 PM
Ive looked up in the dash where the hell are these? I cant see anything on the back of the gauges.

Any snap shots where these are? Also i noticed my Tack when the boat is off is at like 200 but the speedo is at 0. Is this normal? I want to make sure i know where these are before we bolt my sub down. Once that puppy is bolted it isnt moving.

Razzman
03-22-2010, 10:44 PM
They're not on the gauges. They look just like PAC switches mounted under the dash towards the front.

stretch55
03-22-2010, 10:57 PM
Mine are on the front of the dash. The speedo adj knob is in the bottom right by the speedo. The tach adj knob is in the bottom left by the tach. They are both little polished aluminum knobs about 5/8" in diameter. And they are silly loose on my boat. Idk if that's normal. But I do know they are off and once I get them dialed in I don't want vibrations from the sub woofer knocking them out of wack again...

mmandley
03-23-2010, 10:05 AM
Ohh ok well my bag from the Dealer when i bought the boat had those things in the bag, i think they fell off or were taken off so they wouldn't get lost, this prolly explains why i cant find them because the shinny knobs are in buyers kit lol.

stretch55
03-23-2010, 12:15 PM
I see LOL! Well there should be 2 smaller knobs like 3/16" or 1/4" that those 5/8" shinny ones go on. Do those knobs seem very very easy to spin?

brain_rinse
03-23-2010, 02:50 PM
I see LOL! Well there should be 2 smaller knobs like 3/16" or 1/4" that those 5/8" shinny ones go on. Do those knobs seem very very easy to spin?
Yes, they spin very easily.

NCSUmoomba
03-23-2010, 06:34 PM
Yep, mine spin really easily. Everytime I clean the boat I have to adjust mine back to what perfect pass reads. Also, I am pretty sure they two because there is one for each speedo. One of them should not adjust the tach.

stretch55
03-23-2010, 06:54 PM
I only got 1 speedo and 1 tach. 1 is for the speedo and 1 is for the tach. And the Perfect pass goes off of the speedo ie the paddle wheel. So if the speedo is off then the perfect pass will be off. Thats my problem. Thats how I know mine is off cause when I went wakeboarding Saturday. The PP said 17.5 and that aint right. I usually ride at 21-21.5.

NCSUmoomba
03-24-2010, 12:55 PM
Well, you only have one speedo and one tach now, where the Perfect Pass is, there probably used to be a speedo. Having a knob to adjust the tach makes no sense. Also, the knob should not affect the Perfect Pass. The knob is adjusting/claibrating the readout of the analog speedo only. The Perfect Pass has to be calibrated by going into the menu and manually adjusting it. What I have found that works the best is to use a handheld GPS. I bought a Garmin Etrex for like $85 so I could calibrate the Perfect Pass. Then I adjust the analog speedo to match the Perfect pass.

stretch55
03-24-2010, 01:39 PM
Gotcha. Well thats what I am doing today. Mike and I going out around 1ish to get her dialed in. I have a gps and I have the owners manual for the PP. So i should be able to get it taken care of. The PP has to be off. Like I said I can't imagine that when I was wakeboarding the other day it was really only 17.5 mph on the PP.

NCSUmoomba
03-24-2010, 08:10 PM
Yep, I am amazed at how far off Perfect Pass is from the factory. Maybe it has something to do with the position or location of the paddle wheel. I bought my PP directly from them and installed it myself following the directions exactly. I assumed that the speed was pretty accurate and we used it for probably two years. In that time I noticed how it felt to ride behind different boats at "the same" speed, but I thought it was just the boat. One day, we had a chase boat video session and my buddy and I both set our PP to the same speed and there was a several mph difference. After I bought the GPS, I realized that the whole time when we thought we have been riding as 21 or so, it was really more like 25 or so. Once I got it calibrated and we dropped back down to 21 or 22, we realized the wake is larger at the speed, and we were still comfortable riding. I think GPS calibration should be REQUIRED for any PP install. It will take a lot of frustration out of riding with friends on mulitple boats. Now PP in a river with current, that is a whole other frustrating story... Maybe Santa will bring me a Stargazer upgrade this year!

Sled491
03-24-2010, 09:43 PM
Hey I'm probably late on this, but when you set up your PP the settings other than straight speed are only good under load. So if you are setting your PP for slalom mode at 28 through 36, each speed has to be set with a skier and the boat at the weight you will run. I'm not 100% positive but I think the same will apply in WB mode with ballast and such.

NCSUmoomba
03-25-2010, 09:18 AM
I found that out about the slalom mode the other year. It so so frustrating. I am not that good of a skier, so I have totally abandonded the slalom mode. I have been pulling my girlfriend though the course in the wakeboard mode. I know at faster speeds that wakeboard mode is not as accurrate, but I just get out my handheld GPS and make minute adjustments in the speed until it is actually at 30 or 32 or whatever. In the wakeboard mode, calibration like in the slalom (RPM) mode is not the same, and much easier. You just have to go into the menu and adjust the KDW and the NN settings. One of which is a paddle wheel buffer and the other is a throttle pull rate adjustment. I would recommend doing this AFTER the speed is calibrated due to the speed of the boat affecting the attitude and drag, which affect how you set the KDW and the NN.

Sled491
03-25-2010, 10:06 PM
Brian it really is not that hard once you have the base line and speeds set. The agressivness of the PP is the one I still have issues with. But if you have the speed and base line set adjusting the different speeds can all be done on one pass almost. Once you figure out the buttons to push you can just jump from speed to speed to set PP. Just let your skier know not to go crazy and just keep making easy turns back and forth.