PDA

View Full Version : XLV and Z-5 cargo rack

you da man
03-21-2010, 10:02 PM
I've had my Z-5 for about 3 months now but finally installed it today. Only took 20-25 min with my buddy helping. Once installed it can be easily removed by one person...helps to be tall though (glad I'm 6ft). I've heard Z-5 owners say they hit their head on their Z-5's. Well, as I said, I'm 6'00" and can walk under mine. My Z-5 is actually for a Supra 22SSV and not an XLV so it's not shaped like the 08 and older Z-5's, it has that curved front edges that looks much better. I wonder if being for a Supra made my mounting points higher or if it's shaped just slightly different. Either way, I'm glad I got it. Oh, and it's balanced very well when you hinge it.

mmandley
03-22-2010, 01:54 AM
Can say for the shape but i know i have mounted a little lower to clear my XM7s. I did how ever tilt it down slightly in mounting it. The back it up higher and i can walk right under it. Im not 6.0 im 5/9 so that helps. I tilted it nose side down slightly so i wouldn't have to use the transit straps.

Those are the nylon straps that came with it. I had them on and noticed when i hit the freeway the wind down force is hard enough already it pushed the front down and would make the straps ineffective. Makes it a little easier to getting ready with no straps to have to install.

If i take a long trip i do add the straps to make sure it doesn't catch a gust or something. Some people take these off for travel and others take the material off. i haven't tried eighter of these yet. Might try it this summer see how hard it is to do.

you da man
03-22-2010, 08:09 AM
Are you guys referring to the spider web bungee for tubes? The new Z-5's have a different system and is better.

Ian Brantford
03-22-2010, 09:21 AM
I end up spending at least 15-20 minutes getting my boat ready for the road taking the speakers off, z-5 cover off, and putting everything else in a safe place.

Exactly where is a safe place for the Z5? I just got a Monster cargo rack at the end of last year, not yet installed. It's too wide to fit in my truck and cannot lay down well inside the boat. Maybe leaving it strapped down in the boat with one edge over the driver's seat would do.

mmandley
03-22-2010, 10:16 AM
Travel straps, look at the picture you will see them on the front of the Z5 coming down to the front tower legs.

I had mine on all last summer and no wear and tear or damage to the canvas material. Did you have to order a new cover Jonyb?

These are last summer pics when i did the KMT6 install. After that i didn't use the straps to much.

Moseley618
03-22-2010, 07:00 PM
How much is the Z-5? It is really cool, I did not know there was such a thing.

you da man
03-22-2010, 08:28 PM
How much is the Z-5? It is really cool, I did not know there was such a thing.

Depends on the dealer, between $2,000-$2,500. However, if you order your boat it's $1,500...go figure.

mmandley
03-22-2010, 09:52 PM
I was looking mine over and it looks like i just undo the 3 clips on the sides and then loosen that tensioner and it all comes right off correct? If its that easy then i might start taking it off.

Last summer some people took them off and said they are a real pain to get back on correctly.

you da man
03-22-2010, 10:33 PM
I was looking mine over and it looks like i just undo the 3 clips on the sides and then loosen that tensioner and it all comes right off correct? If its that easy then i might start taking it off.

Last summer some people took them off and said they are a real pain to get back on correctly.

I was looking at the buckle, pulley thingy and it looks like if that came undone...watch out, it's going to be a headache to figure it out.

you da man
03-22-2010, 11:30 PM
Are y'all talking about the material or the actual rack? Mine must be an older version. My material buttons/unbuttons just like the stock boat cover. I've never attempted to take the whole rack down.

The new Z-5 canvas has a rope around the perimeter that has a sort of pulley type tensioner. I'd take a picture but my boat is 180 miles away getting a new stereo system

Ian Brantford
03-23-2010, 10:23 AM
Leave it on the tower, take the fabric material off. If it's in teh boat, then the corners are poking on your vinyl.

Thanks for the experienced advice. I had hoped to avoid the material off/on steps, but it looks like this is the best way. I'd have paid another couple of hundred dollars for a model that folds in half so that I could just take the whole frame down and stow it.

you da man
03-23-2010, 01:08 PM
Thanks for the experienced advice. I had hoped to avoid the material off/on steps, but it looks like this is the best way. I'd have paid another couple of hundred dollars for a model that folds in half so that I could just take the whole frame down and stow it.

Z-5 is a solid (huge) one piece frame so there is option for folding and none of the folding Bimini tops can hold boards

zegm
03-23-2010, 01:28 PM

We took ours off to travel and yes it is a pain to put back on. I suggest if you decided to do this to take pictures and notes the first time you try it. Even use tape to mark the location of all the cords as they vary in length. I wish we had done such a thing as the biggest problem was trying to figure out how everything was configured and what went where. I would image if you do it a couple of times it would get easier!

But that being said I have to say that it is a wonderful, awesome, multifunctional Florida sun cover! Best thing we ordered with the boat!