PDA

View Full Version : Steering Cable / Floor is up!!!!

LSV04
03-20-2010, 03:53 PM
Ok-I scheduled for a new steering cable at the local Marina. Now that I got the floor up and can see exactly where the cable runs, I am tempted to do this myself and save $500.00 . But Now what? Disconnect at the back or steering wheel first?. Is there any danger of cable snapping?
Where do I get the new one? Is Jesse around, I followed his advice on getting the floor up. Nice post. or at this point should I just let marina finish the easy part.
Any help appreciated.

moombadaze
03-20-2010, 05:30 PM
finish it your self-getting that floor up really is the hard part.

Did the cable on my 03 lsv and I thought that getting that floor up was the hardest part

LSV04
03-20-2010, 05:41 PM
Do you disconnect the single boat closest to rudder . I see there are 4 nuts closer to bow.?
What is disconnected at the steering wheel? I think I am going to do this myself.
Thanks

DOCDRS
03-20-2010, 06:00 PM
here is a thread on steering cable

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=10455

its in more detail on a link he gives

LSV04
03-20-2010, 10:04 PM
It looks like you loosen the jam nut to release the cable through the mount?

moombadaze
03-21-2010, 01:00 PM
undue bolt at the rudder, undue the jam nut-slide cable thru metal sleeve that is attatched to motor, undue 4 bolts at helm. pull cable assemble up thru hole under dash with rope tied to the end so that you can pull cable back thru hole under dash. reinstall all bolts and tighten jam nut, bolt floor back down and crack open a cold one. your done.

LSV04
03-21-2010, 04:19 PM
You da man.

Thanks.

DOCDRS
03-21-2010, 06:09 PM
now only if it was that quick :D

JesseC
03-23-2010, 11:07 PM
undue bolt at the rudder, undue the jam nut-slide cable thru metal sleeve that is attatched to motor, undue 4 bolts at helm. pull cable assemble up thru hole under dash with rope tied to the end so that you can pull cable back thru hole under dash. reinstall all bolts and tighten jam nut, bolt floor back down and crack open a cold one. your done.

Absolutely perfect instructions. My floor is up right now waiting on the new cable to come in. Teleflex is examining my cable and deciding if it will be covered as a warranty issue or not. My only other piece of advise is to turn the steering wheel all the way to the right (I think) to make the calbe as short as possible. Make sure as Daze has stated that you tie a piece of string to the end to help pull it back through the helm without the string it is super difficult to get back through!!!

I can replace the cable in about 45 minutes in the 02!

Here is one of my older posts with pics and part numbers:
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=3946&highlight=cable