PDA

View Full Version : Keeping wetsuits warm between sets

pmoomba
03-19-2010, 09:45 AM
It's almost that time of year. I probably won't make it out until the water is warm enough for just a heater top (what is that like 65+?). Also, just about anybody I will get to take out will not have their own tops/wetsuits/etc, so I want to be able to have something for them to use/share so I can still get out before it's warm enough for nothing.

I know a drysuit is generally pretty good to share and I might get there eventually but don't want to make the investment until I'm sure I'll get the use out of it.

I figure maybe having 2 heater shirts on board that people rotate through would be reasonable enough and am just looking for a good way to warm up the one that's not in use so nobody has to put on a freezing shirt. I have an 06 OBV.

Is keeping pressed up the wall in one of the side compartments sufficient? Or would it be better to find a way to keep it directly in the engine compartment? Maybe make some sort of tray or a way to hang it up?

I've heard some people take out coolers full of hot water for a similar purpose but I was wondering how long something like that stayed hot enough?

pmoomba
03-19-2010, 10:00 AM
Well in addition to nobody wanting to share a pee'd in wetsuit, peeing in a heater shirt would be a little awkward :)

deepcove
03-19-2010, 10:14 AM
Putting on a wet wetsuit is the worst. Aside from placing a heater hose into it to warm it up (assuming you have a boat heater) I am not aware of any way of making it any more comfortable. The way I see it if you are nice enough to donate a "community" suit and invite them to ride they should be happy that you have provided them this. On the brighter side after experiencing the wet wetsuit once they will probably be inclined to buy their own!

pmoomba
03-19-2010, 10:18 AM
Yeah forgot to mention currently no heater or shower.

kaneboats
03-19-2010, 10:18 AM
I'd be tempted to try using a small soft side cooler. Take a gallon container like a plastic mustard or mayonnaise gallon jar and fill it with boiling water. Screw the lid on tight. Then wrap the heater shirts around it and zip up for a while. I'd think it would warm them right up. A whole gallon should stay warm in the cooler for several hours so it could be re-used.

sandm
03-19-2010, 10:59 AM
add a hot shower. best solution and not real expensive.
i'm betting a boiling bottle of water would be cool in under 30 minutes, especially after you wrap a wet, cold heatershirt around it.

another option, look for the plug-in coolers that both cool and heat. believe coleman made one. it's portable, can be used for camping, runs on 12volts and would be great in the summer to cut down on ice usage, so you now have a "green" initiative saving the plastic bags ice comes in :)

jclevoy
03-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Personally, I put on a wetsuit when it is dry, and it doesn't come off until I am done for the day. Typically, we don't stay out for a long time...........So I just put the wetsuit on and then put on a cover-up (a hoodie) after my sets. Sometimes, I might peel out of the arms/chest, but that is the extent of it and the hoodie goes on.

c.rix
03-19-2010, 01:19 PM
If the wet suit is wet just throw it under the engine compartment for a minute. The nice warm heat off the engine will warm it up quick just make sure it doesnt hit the exhaust or anything really hot.

I do this all the time with my helmet and gloves when snowmobiling in wyoming. With the powder gloves turn to ice, throw them under the hood for a minute or two gloves warm right up and melt off any snow or ice that was on them.

03-19-2010, 02:18 PM
Dry suits are the holy grail for cold weather riding. I bought one 5 years ago (I'm 5'9" and got a medium Bare) and nearly everyone but my biggest friends use it and love it. No one gets wet or cold and no dripping in the boat after a set. Honestly, it's been the best investment for water sports I've made. We are in Canada though, so it's a bit more justified.

jester
03-19-2010, 09:00 PM
If you borrow someones wetsuit and you decided to warm it up by peein in it just do not let them know or they are likely not to let you use any of their gear again.

jmvotto
03-19-2010, 09:56 PM
Peeing in it:confused: somebody told you that , whew, i just thought it was natural when the cold water seeped in was to pee.

My wetsuit does not come off until the ride is done. I may peel down the top and put a sweatshirt on, but it makes the next run tough to put back on.

deepcove
03-20-2010, 12:28 AM
I'm with 501, a dry suit is one of the best investments I have ever made for boating....mind you i am in Canada as well.

PS our hockey team kicks ass!!!!

Big Boss
03-20-2010, 02:03 PM
add a hot shower. best solution and not real expensive.
i'm betting a boiling bottle of water would be cool in under 30 minutes, especially after you wrap a wet, cold heatershirt around it.

another option, look for the plug-in coolers that both cool and heat. believe coleman made one. it's portable, can be used for camping, runs on 12volts and would be great in the summer to cut down on ice usage, so you now have a "green" initiative saving the plastic bags ice comes in :)

+1 on the hot water shower, I added one last winter and it makes wetsuit riding almost enjoyable. Nothing like a shot of hot water down the back right before jumping in the lake.