PDA

View Full Version : New Engine Break-in, but Moomba test drive?

phospher
03-18-2010, 04:23 PM
According to Moombas website "Each boat is put through a rigorous
set of lake tests prior to being shipped." Considering Indmars engine break-in procedure how can this be possible? Furthermore, I read a post here where someone was following their boat being built and they showed someone from Skiers Choice test driving the boat before delivery and certainly they were not following Indmars break-in procedure.

Just another thing I was curious about...

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 04:37 PM
They do what they do, then the dealer does what the dealer does, then you still have to break it in.

phospher
03-18-2010, 04:44 PM
Right, that much I realize. You see the conflict though...

sandm
03-18-2010, 04:45 PM
lots of mis-information to this topic...
on a side note, my '08 kawasaki zx-6r has a break-in period listed in the manual telling you not to rev past a certain point for so many miles, don't remember specifics. I caught a show on the HD Channel on cable a while ago that did a tour of the kawi plant in japan. the final assembly step has a technician pulling the bike onto a dyno, hooking up some diagnostic equipment and running the thing up the rpm band. redline is 16,400rpms, and he had to be up above 14k. they did this with every bike assembled. so much for a break-in period listed in the manual with rpm limits...

had an 98 mitsu eclipse gst, an '03 mitsu evo8 and an '06 mitsu evo9. all three cars had the same 4g63 engine built in the same plant. the eclipse had conventional oil and no break-in period. the evo's had synthetic factory fill and a 1000mile break in. go figure..

seems to be 2 schools on this topic...
-follow a strict rpm limit based on hours/time and change the oil at intervals sooner than the final recommendation.
-run it hard, land the rings hard since that's what it'll be doing, change the oil 2x within the first 200 miles or couple hours to clean up metal and then go.

Razzman
03-18-2010, 05:13 PM
They're all done that way regardless or who makes it or what it is so don't worry about it. I remember my test drive, salesman drove it like a banshee and said don't worry about it, never had an issue since but i followed the rules anyway. Besides i hate to tell ya'll this but few if any will have their boats long enough to put enough hours on them to have an issue even come up. Seriously it's just the stats, most owners will sell them for a new one before that happens.

moombadaze
03-18-2010, 05:34 PM
followed the break in procedure myself, but allways wondered about that test drive before buying.

GeauxTigers
03-18-2010, 05:50 PM
I would think that factory dyno tests have to push the engine to its limits. I personally would not want it any other way.

maxpower220
03-18-2010, 07:07 PM
Right, that much I realize. You see the conflict though...

Yes, there is a conflict. However, the manufacturer must ensure that your boat will perform like it should. They have little to no choice in putting the boat through it's paces. It would be a great dis-service to you and your dealer. It would be better to attack problems at the assembly plant than at your dealer and the consumer won't have to experience much delay when buying a new boat.

I would recommend (and do follow) the break-in guidelines as they last for 10 hours. The dealer is running the boat for 20 minutes or less. Given todays metalurgy and technology, seating rings, wear-in, etc take place almost instantly. The "need" for a 10 hour break-in is probably greatly overstated.

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 07:59 PM
I think a manual will tell you to do twice as much as is really necessary because people can only be expected to do about half of what they are supposed to do. I think Engine Nut would confirm that the biggest issue is not running at one speed as many people do when they get in a boat. A car's transmission constantly changes engine speed as you drive. With a (more) direct drive as found in a boat, you just don't get that. If you take it easy and vary your RPM's for the first few hours, that would probably do it. Still, who wants to chance it? I'm strictly following the recommendations. Why not?

Sled491
03-18-2010, 11:05 PM
I could be wrong on this, but the longevity of your engine has to do with break in. Seating of the rings, bearings etc. Oh sure the engine will run like a banshee out of the box, but without proper break in and the seating of bearings and rings, you could greatly reduce the life span of your engine.

sandm
03-19-2010, 08:14 AM
you are correct sled, but the issue here seems to be that there's a break-in period that has specific directions, and yet some manufacturers ignore this and run the engine in ways the break-in says not to..

personally, I believe just run it like you are going to use it in the end. the bigger thing is to remember to keep fresh fluids in it. changing the fluids will add years to the life of any engine and bet more fail from neglect than from failure to follow the break-in procedures.

bjames
03-24-2010, 06:18 PM
I too have always wondered about this. Here is my experience;

Last year one of our local boat retailers (non-moomba) were having their annual demo days at one of our local lakes. They take about 30 boats out to give people demonstrations. These are brand new boats from their showroom floor. Basically it was a lot of fun, but every single one of the demonstrators were hot gogging it, full throttle, fast hole shots, you name it. I aske one of the drivers about what is recommended for new engin break in, he gave me a deer in the headlights look and replied... "uhh I think all our boats were already broken in" I had no more question:rolleyes: I have even seen a brand new Seadoo boat undergoing a lake test, whereby the guy who was lake testing sucked up a load of gravel into the jet intakes, stalled the engine, couldnt restart it, then manually pushed it onto the trailer. not sure what ever happend to that boat.

Sled491
03-24-2010, 06:26 PM
On the plus side of that story is you got to try out 30 boats. For me that is unheard of, my dealer might have 3 or 4 to try, nothing like that, wow :)

bjames
03-25-2010, 01:01 PM
On the plus side of that story is you got to try out 30 boats. For me that is unheard of, my dealer might have 3 or 4 to try, nothing like that, wow :)

Your right!! The fact that I got to spen dthe entire day riding boating while using someone elses gas was the best part:D

Sled491
03-25-2010, 05:23 PM
Right I never even thought about the gas, bonus :D

moombadaze
03-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Ed, after looking at that picture your tower would look good blacked out