PDA

View Full Version : Uuugggghhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 12:42 AM
All right, I need some input. I'm about ready to rip my hair out. I built the manifold and added the second Rule pump. I bought some alleged 1" ID hose to run from the pump to the new inlet on the manifold. Only I can't get it to stretch over the outlet on the Rule pump. I tried heating it in hot water and it still wouldn't go. I boiled it real good and it just kinked when I tried to stretch it on. I tried strecthing it over my other (extra) Rule pump not in the boat just to see if it was even possible and, while struggling, dropped that pump on the garage floor and cracked the plastic housing in half. I paid over $2 a foot for this spa hose thinking it would be better than the only other stuff they had -- clear hose that was the last 5 feet on a roll and all kinked up -- I was afraid it would get warm and suck closed so I opted for a nicer kind of hose.

So, what do you guys use for hose and where do you buy it? I now have $115 in my piece of hose (counting the busted extra Rule pump) and I still don't have a piece of hose that works. (Yes, that sound is hair ripping right out of my scalp!)

Thanks!

newty
03-18-2010, 01:10 AM
Man sorry Kane.
That spa hose is a pain in the arse. I just use the nylon reinforced poly hose. It shouldn't kink so long as you dont try to make tight corners. It stretches quite a bit easier with heat. As far as the pump housing, I have a cracked housing on one of my pumps. All I did was get some good epoxy and glue it back up. Use a ziptie or two, to hold it together while it dries. <ake sure to keep the epoxy out of the pump itself.
Good luck

moombadaze
03-18-2010, 07:37 AM
was that the white spa hose? I have 6 feet in the garage--that stuff will not stretch, dont even want to remember what i tried to do to get that stuff to fit.

mmandley
03-18-2010, 09:10 AM
Yea i use the clear poly hose with the nylon braids in it too. Get it at Home Depot, its not exactly cheap eighter but its a lot easier to work with. I absolutely hate the factory black hose. Ill have to try to heat it next time i need to work with it see if it works better as well.

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 09:18 AM
The housing hit the floor hard and pieces of it fell off. I"ll have to take a look to see if it can be salvaged. May have to take the whole thing apart to repair it. We'll see. It really stinks that I have to go to HD, then to Lowes, then to the other HD, then to the other Lowes to find everything. They've put everyone else out of business so we're stuck with whatever garbage they offer.

JesseC
03-18-2010, 12:45 PM
I bought about 18' of the 1" ID hose from wake makers. The Rule Pump actually has a discharge of 1 1/8" I think. The black hose still goes on really tight. I put a set of pliers in the end of the hose and pull the handles apart to stretch the hose outward. I keep turning the pliers 90 degrees and repeating while sliding the pliers outward a little at a time. I am headed home for lunch and I have a Rule 2000gph and some scrap black hose. I will see if I can get it to fit over the discharge port.

2007 Outback V
03-18-2010, 02:04 PM
Getting the hose to fit over my fittings was a pain in the a** for me as well. I used the stock black hose from wakemakers. I ended up using some grease and had to twist on the hose to the fittings. Big pain!

brain_rinse
03-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I think Jesse is right, the rule discharge is 1 1/8". You should still be able to stretch the 1" over it though with boiling water and the pliers trick Jesse mentioned. If I can get it over the threaded ends of Tsunami pumps I'm sure the Rule pump is doable. :)

moombadaze
03-18-2010, 02:42 PM
But remember, this is the white spa hose-I would almost swear that stuff has a spiral wire ribb around it. Its designed for high water temps

brain_rinse
03-18-2010, 03:00 PM
Yep, I went with the spa hose as well since I could buy it bulk cheaper than per foot prices elsewhere. But in no way am I a saying it will be easy... even boiling hot it still doesn't like to stretch!

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 03:26 PM
I'm throwing that crap away and getting some clear hose. If it fails later I'll just replace it.

JesseC
03-18-2010, 03:45 PM
Chunk that spa hose!!! I have it in 1 1/2" and 1" and all of it is in the trash can. That stuff will not stretch or compress. Hose clamps are powerless against it. Got is at West Marine and figured it would be ok...it is not. I went home at lunch and verified that the port is 1 1/8" with a pair of calipers. I then grapped some scrap, streched it and then fitted it over the port with the hose I got from Wake Makers.

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/BallastUPG030.jpg

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q21/StarkRaven/BallastUPG028.jpg

jmvotto
03-18-2010, 03:49 PM
Good to know about the hoses. I have misc parts but no hose yet. To do the GI to GIII upgrade
Pat i feel for ya, I am the guys that measures once and goes to the HW store eight times. LOL
2007 Outback V you doing the same upgrade?? GI to GIII

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 03:51 PM
Well, that white spa hose has fooled more than one of us. It looks fantastic- durable, etc. But, it is no good for this application. Thanks for the effort, Jesse.

brain_rinse
03-18-2010, 03:51 PM
WAIT!!! Send me the 1" spa hose! I actually really like the stuff even though it's hard to work with.

Edit: maybe there are different types of spa hose? The stuff I have is black and looks exactly like the stuff in Jesse's pic above. You can see a short piece of it in this pic...
https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4594&d=1268426791

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 03:53 PM
All yours. PM me your address. I should warn you it does have blood and human hair on it from beating myself over the head with it.

JesseC
03-18-2010, 04:00 PM
WAIT!!! Send me the 1" spa hose! I actually really like the stuff even though it's hard to work with.

Edit: maybe there are different types of spa hose? The stuff I have is black and looks exactly like the stuff in Jesse's pic above. You can see a short piece of it in this pic...
https://forum.moomba.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=4594&d=1268426791

The hose I had purchased is white and will not bend, clamp or cut and is impervious to a heat gun. It must have been designed by Lucifer himself.

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 04:19 PM
You couldn't do that with this stuff if you had a year.

2007 Outback V
03-18-2010, 08:55 PM
2007 Outback V you doing the same upgrade?? GI to GIII

Yup, went with reversible pumps. I still need to drill two holes in the side of the boat. I was hoping they would drill themselves, darn.

Hose I used looks exactly like jesseCs'. Had to work with the hose a bit, but it works well.

jmvotto
03-18-2010, 10:15 PM
Yup, went with reversible pumps. I still need to drill two holes in the side of the boat. I was hoping they would drill themselves, darn.

Hose I used looks exactly like jesseCs'. Had to work with the hose a bit, but it works well.

post up some pics in the mods, wondering about the wiring and switches.

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 11:21 PM
Tonight I went and bought some clear hose with the thread in it. It's crap too. I can get it on but every time you bend it -- it wants to kink. What a bunch of crap. Guess I'll look for a hose shop or ask Jason to send me a little.

Aquaholic
03-18-2010, 11:25 PM
Hey I have 3 feet of the 1 inch black hose I bought from Wakemakers, I can bring it to Thomasville on Sunday and leave it at the airport if you need it. Let me know.

Aqua

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 11:27 PM
Crap. Thanks, but I'm going to San Antonio on Sat at 7 am for work. If you drop it in the mail it will be here by the time I get back. I'll figure out something I can do for you too. Let me know if you can do this and I'll PM you my address. Also, if there's anything you need, let me know and I'll see if I have it around.

Aquaholic
03-18-2010, 11:30 PM
Sure thing...

Aqua

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 11:33 PM
PM sent. Thanks! It will work great. Let me know if there's anything you need and I'll see what I can do.

Are you planning on joining us the weekend after July 4 on Lake Sinclair? Hope so.

jmvotto
03-19-2010, 11:00 AM
i think this is the ballast hose. maybe you have a local distributor in the area.
Jamestowndistributors.com sells it online, the 3/4" is about 1.06 per ft but you have to buy a roll of 50ft:rolleyes:

Go to bilge live well tab under the boat pic and then click on live well hose # 149 to view sizes

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/frameset3.cgi?site=hose&type=us&link2=1154

JesseC
03-19-2010, 03:40 PM
i think this is the ballast hose. maybe you have a local distributor in the area.
Jamestowndistributors.com sells it online, the 3/4" is about 1.06 per ft but you have to buy a roll of 50ft:rolleyes:

Go to bilge live well tab under the boat pic and then click on live well hose # 149 to view sizes

http://www.teleflexmarine.com/cgi-bin/frameset3.cgi?site=hose&type=us&link2=1154

Wow, that actually have 1 1/8" hose!!! I wish I had seen this before adding all of my hoses. I found out the hard way that the Quick Connect fittings for the Fly High sacs are actually 1 1/8" and stretching the hose is a pain in the butt. That would have made it a lot easier!!