PDA

View Full Version : Stereo remote problem

slalomski
06-10-2004, 12:02 PM
Stereo remote stopped working (drivers side) after 5 hours on boat. I did a little config change on the stereo head, station programming and such. Is there any setting on the stereo that would disable the remote?

-Jim

Troy0501
06-10-2004, 07:31 PM
Hey Ed I had the same problem with my remote..assuming you have the Kenwood system. The fix for mine was a new head unit. The dealer had never had the problem before. We tried another remote and still would not work. Swapped out the head unit and it has worked fine ever since. But i only had 30 mins on mine when it stopped. A real dissapointment....

slalomski
06-10-2004, 07:52 PM
I can still use the head unit for the stereo, but the remote doesn't work. The light comes on when I use the cockpit lights, but it doesn't control the stereo.

-Jim

db7
06-11-2004, 02:43 PM
I'm having the same problem with my stereo dash remote. My stereo itself works fine, but the drivers side dash remote does nothing. It worked fine when I put the boat to bed for the winter, when I dusted the boat off this spring I woulnt work. I havent had a chance to contact the dealership yet.

Seeing these posts makes me see this may be a Kenwwod problem and I'm not alone in this problem. Like Troy said, they replaced the head unit and I works fine now. That may be the only fix.

ARLINGTONMOBIUS
06-13-2004, 01:06 AM
I have an 03 Mobius LS with 61 hours on it. I have had to replace the transom remote on my stereo twice. I have had no problems with the driver's side remote. They are fairly easy to replace, only 4 wires. However, it stinks when they quit working. You might try and make sure that the wires are properly connected.

slalomski
06-14-2004, 09:55 PM
It worked for the first five hours. Then it stopped working. All the wires look good, no loose connections. Still baffelled!!

Jim

db7
06-25-2004, 11:42 AM
Well I found the problem with my remote! Ends up it was a loose wire. I had an appointment today to take my boat into the the dealer to look at the problem, but last night fearing that they will find something simple (like a loose wire) I really tore into my boat one last time to see if I could find the problem.
I traced the wires coming out the back of the remote (in the dash) they disapear into the wireing harness less than a foot from the dash. I than crawled under the passenger side to look up at the back of the stereo and with the best of my ability checked all the wires plugging into the stereo, everything seemed good. Its very tight up where all the wires are running. (I HAVE LOOKED BACK THERE A NUMBER OF TIMES TRYING TO FIND THE PROBLEM, BUT BECAUSE OF WHERE THE REMOTE WIRE GOES INTO THE STEREO IT IS VERY HARD TO GET TO)
Next I pull the stereo out of the dash, as I slowly slid the head unit out of the housing I noticed a free wire coming out the top right side on the back. Sure enough thats the remote wire.
I had to slide the stereo back in all the way for the wire to even connect, there is absolutly no slack wire when plugging it back in. (VERY TIGHT FIT) I can see how it would work its way loose, the wires have tention on them at all times, after a few bumps here and there they can very easily work there way loose. With the type of connector they use it appears to still be plugged in when in reality they arent making contact, thus resulting in a dash remote that doesnt work.

I saved myslf a trip the the dealer and everything works good now!

Hope that helps anybody else out there with the same problem unless of course your head unit is actually bad.

By the way this is an 03 Mobius with the stock Kenwood 6 speaker system.

slalomski
06-29-2004, 02:27 PM
THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'll go look tonight.

Jim

boatnuts
07-16-2004, 12:14 AM
I had the exact same problem.....it was a disconnected wire from the back of the stereo. It was a 30 second fix!!

Rugburn
04-21-2005, 11:16 AM
My remote doesnt work either. I checked the wiring, all good. Even opened up the head unit to check the solder joint, good as well. I want to check the voltage on the signal wire that connects to the head unit (anybody else have a multimeter and can check their voltage for me?) I dont want to get a remote if its the head unit so I thought checking to see if there is a signal would clarify it. If its the head unit, Im starting over with something besides Kenwood and their disposable remotes. ack!

stang67
04-21-2005, 01:38 PM
My remote works....sortof. I can turn the radio down as well as on, but i can not turn the volume up, any ideas?

Rugburn
04-21-2005, 03:13 PM
Thats got to be frustrating. I think the Kenwood remote is a POS so all bets are off as far as all the buttons working. I bet if you swapped it out you would get all functions back, but for how long?!

Rugburn
04-27-2005, 02:04 PM
Update:

I contacted Kenwood thinking they could help me troubleshoot my remote problem. Was it the head unit or remote, etc. They sent this email as a reply:

Thank you for writing to us at Kenwood USA Corporation.

In regards to your inquiry, we suggest that you give us a call at (800) 536-9663 ext. 1420 while in front of the unit. If you have a digital camera, please have that handy as well. There is a relatively simple test that we can walk you through to determine where the problem lies.

If you have any further questions or need help with anything, please feel free to contact us again.

************************************************** *********************************
Kenwood U.S.A. Corporation
Consumer Services
P.O. Box 22745
Long Beach, CA 90801-5745

David Glenn
Consumer Service Representative
E-mail for Kenwood USA Corporation: http://www.kenwoodusa.com/support/email_support.jsp
Phone: 800-536-9663
Fax: 562-677-1140

So I called them and they had no suggestions other than to contact a service center. Nice support huh. They suggested I take a digital photo of the remote to see if it "eminates" any light as a wireless remote would until I told them I had a wired remote. I gave them the model number of the remote and head unit and I still got that bogus reply. Ack.