PDA

View Full Version : Early Model (99 - 03) Outback and Outback LS

markcr
03-17-2010, 12:52 PM
I'm looking into buying an older Outback and was wondering if anyone call tell me about the differences between the standard Outback and the LS version. Looking through the archive section of the Moomba site doesn't provide enough info on the variances in years and the two models. I'm looking for a slalom ski wake and I understand the Outback was ASWA approved in 99 - 01 and then again from 03 - 09. Not sure why they didn't approve it for 02. Also, if anyone has any info on the slalom wake itself or have skied behind this boat in a course, I'd love to hear your opinions. I don't have the money to go out and buy a Mastercraft or Ski Nautique. Besides, I really like the size and layout of the Outback better anyway. Thanks!

JesseC
03-18-2010, 04:57 PM
From what I can remember, the Outback was a ski boat and the LS had more of a wakeboard hull but was configured as a Direc Drive instead of a V-Drive. If you are looking for a dedicated skiing machine the Outback would be your best bet. The LS would probably have a bump in the wake that you would not like as much as the Outback.

Outback - Direct Drive Ski Hull
Outback LS - Direct Drive Wake Hull
Outback LSV - V Drive Wake Hull.

Again this is going on memory.....

badasshybrid
03-18-2010, 06:10 PM
I dont know the difference either. But I thought the only difference between the outback and the outback ls was the interior, I thought the hull was the same.

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 07:51 PM
It depends on the year. In around 98-99 the Outback and Mobius were the same boat but the Mobius had a tower. The newer seat config was used on the Outback LS in 2000 and 2001. By 2003 the Outback LS had the new hull and the Outback was still the old one. If you look at the photos and specs in the Archive, under "About Moomba" using the link at the top of the page, you can see most of the differences.

zabooda
03-18-2010, 08:41 PM
The 98 and 99 had the same hulls and the Outback and Mobius were identical except for the tower on the Mobius. I was thinking there was a closed bow but I can't remember if that was the LS.

I enjoy the skiing behind my boat and it has run well.

Hoopskier
03-18-2010, 09:33 PM
I have skied behing my 03 Outback and my brother's 04 Mobius LS. From what it sounds like in this thread an LS hull is an LS hull regardless if Outback or Mobius. Mobius have the wakeboard options already on it. On my Outback wake is smaller and softer than the Mobius. I believe that if you are looking to run the bouy set, you want an Outback (non-LS).

kaneboats
03-18-2010, 11:16 PM
It still depends on the year. I had the AWSA approved Outback LS from 2000. If you look at the photo in 2003 of the plain old Outback, it's the same boat and the Outback LS has the newer hull.

JesseC
03-19-2010, 12:16 AM
The boats do appear to be the same from the top and side. The Outback has a flat hull all the way to the end of the transom. The LS has a step up hull that causes the stern to drop and create a larger wake. The true ski boat is the Outback that year and the LS was the crossover. The interior configuration should be the same.

DOCDRS
03-20-2010, 12:18 AM
In 99-01 The difference was the rear storage compartment, Outback didn't have it, LS did, and the mobius was an LS with a tower and sparkle gel coat . An outback LS with a closed bow was called a Kanga. In 02 the LS became the Outback....same hull, but the Outback and the Mobius had a hull redesign this redesign pretty much necessitated an adjustable rear 'wake' plate due to porpoising at higher speeds under certain conditions on the LS hull,( imo). I heard they didn't pay for awsa some years due to economic reasons and since that there were no hull changes they could get away with it. In 99 moomba was one of the few boats that offered a ballast system and wake boarding was still in its infancy

just another .02

brownski
03-20-2010, 10:09 AM
I have the 99 LS and from memory the only difference was interior and the LS came with a trunk/storage behind the rear seat. Mine is open bow and the slalom is awesome. I used to ski behind an 87 supra, closed bow 19' and I feel my LS had a comparable wake for skiin. Fill up the ballast, about 400 lbs in the trunk, throw a couple of big boys on the rear seat and the wakeboard wake was great too. I would not hesitate to buy another 99 outback LS and you can probabaly get a great price on one now.

vfrdude
03-22-2010, 01:51 PM
From looking at the archives if looks like until the year 2000, the Outaback, and Outback LS used the same hull. In 2001, the LS hull was longer by 8 inches, and wider by 3 inches.

Here's a link to another post that summerizes the different hulls over the years:

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?p=53682&highlight=hull