PDA

View Full Version : Wake Surfing

SoTX
06-10-2004, 11:56 AM
How about wake surfing? Anyone do it? I just bought a board and I am having my exhaust modified by Fresh Air Exhaust in Austin Tx. It looks like a blast. Can't wait to try it. What do you guys think about it?
George

06-15-2004, 05:26 PM
seen some insane videos, havent tried it yet though. havent got the money for a board, so we're gonna try this weekend to get everyone (7 people plus driver) in the back right-hand corner of the boat and go about 7-8 mph and practice on a pro boogie board, should be interesting. let me know how you like it. matt

rgreene91
06-16-2004, 09:46 AM
I have been wakesurfing since last seeason. All my friends have Malibus' and by far the Moomba has the best wake for surfing.

Shoemaker Mobius
06-16-2004, 10:19 AM
My son has done it and he had a blast. However, I understand that the Austin lake cops are writing tickets on wakesurfers. Apparently, they deem wakesurfing as "reckless endangerment". They indicate that anyone being towed must be at least 50 feet behind the boat.

SoTX
06-16-2004, 12:23 PM
Good thing I don't live in the Berkly of Texas. I do not see how they could call it wreckless, especialy if you have a modified exhaust system from Fresh Air Exauhst Systems.
Well I bought a CWB Ride wake board and discovered that I weigh to much for the board. Going to have to get a bigger board or loose 50lbs(like thats gonna happen).
No matter how hard I tried I could not catch the wave. I tried high, low, close to boat farther out from boat. I had a good size wave going but the CWB Ride wake board could not keep my 260lb frame in the sweet spot on the wave. What size board and what manufacturer would you guys recomend?
Thanks
G.

rgreene91
06-17-2004, 10:23 AM
I use the hyperlite landlock 5'6" i weigh 215 and have a friend that weighs 240. we have no problem catching the wake.

SoTX
06-17-2004, 10:27 AM
Thanks. I will try it.

J-Lawv
07-01-2004, 05:08 PM
Its sweet dude, a good break from wakeboarding when the waters rough in the busy part of the day. I'm not that great at it yet but its alot of fun.

MEDIC151
07-01-2004, 05:15 PM
How do you start off? Do you tow with the rope until you catch the wave and then let go or what? I have been thinking of getting one, just not sure how to do it.

Medic

SoTX
07-02-2004, 07:31 AM
Well, I am no expert, but, load up the back of the boat and one side with ballast. You load up the driverside if you are goofy footed or the other side if you ride conventional with left foot forward. You need a short rope arround 10' long. Get along the side of the boat you are going to surf on, lay on your back, place the heels of your feet on the board, idle out and press down on your heels the board flips into place and then you hit it and pop right out of the water. You need to find the optomum speed for the bigest wake, usually around 9 to 11 mph. Once up and behind the boat use the rope to help you find the sweet spot in the wave and when you have caught the wave let the rope go and have someone pull it in. Go to www.howtowakesurf.com
I purchased the Fresh Air Exhaust System so I do not die while trying to surf.
It is a blast.