PDA

View Full Version : BEP VSR or Blue Sea add a battery?

2007 Outback V
03-16-2010, 09:39 PM
I am having troubles deciding which dual battery setup to go with. Both seem good and about the same price. Any opinions? Is one an easier install? I'll all about simplicity.

Thanks

Moseley618
03-16-2010, 10:28 PM
Blue Seas add a battery is on national backorder.

2007 Outback V
03-16-2010, 11:11 PM
Blue Seas add a battery is on national backorder.

That may be, but there are lots of suppliers that have them in stock............one example http://cgi.ebay.com/Blue-Sea-Systems-7650-Add-a-Battery_W0QQitemZ250591266203QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH _DefaultDomain_0?hash=item3a5867459b

jmvotto
03-17-2010, 09:35 AM
THe BEP vsr does not have the extra remote wiring install like the blue seas. Both work great and many members have both.

2007 Outback V
03-17-2010, 10:00 AM
THe BEP vsr does not have the extra remote wiring install like the blue seas. Both work great and many members have both.

Remote wiring install???? Not sure I know what that is?

jmvotto
03-17-2010, 11:06 AM
Remote wiring install???? Not sure I know what that is?

refere to the wiring diagrams below the blea seas has some extra wires for ignition, and remote led, still pretty simple.

http://bluesea.com/files/resources/instructions/990170140.pdf

http://www.bepmarine.com/store/web/Catalog/Category/Battery%20Management/Battery%20Switches/Clusters/714-100A/714-100A.pdf

EarmarkMarine
03-17-2010, 02:02 PM
I'm a major advocate for combiner/separators or VSRs or ACRs depending on which label you're using. But... I only wish that these devices were as simple as the manufacturers make them out to be.

While you should have a dual-bank multi-stage AC shore charger regardless when you have a large audio system, the need is heightened when you're using a VSR/ACR. Yet both the BEP and Blue Sea recommend using a single bank charger to address two banks that are a.) regularly put into storage at a different charge and b.) offer a different impedance due to the fact that these two banks have been routinely used and cycled in different manners and have aged differently.

These systems also do a few really odd things and do not address several considerations that are more pertinent to towboats and large stereo operations.

There is no such thing as a perfect charging system nor a single prescripton to fit all systems. We address the charging system needs of each sysem uniquely.

We support the SurePower combiner/separator with the necessary peripheral components to match real needs including automated convenience & security, alternator protection & preservation, emergency bypass in case of failed relay or battery, isolation for use with a dual-bank shore charger.

Email me with your system components and your objectives and I can recommend the right management system.

David
Earmark Marine

2007 Outback V
03-17-2010, 02:03 PM
BEP does seem a little bit easier to wire. Is there any gain in having more wire connections with the Blue Seas?

ausbill32
03-17-2010, 05:41 PM
Although I do work on computers; I'm not an electrical guru of any sort and I found the wiring of the Blue Sea switch/ACR fairly easy and straight forward. I just installed mine two weeks ago. I took the time to add in the recommended fuses. Aside from measuring the cable lenghts and putting the connectors on, it only took me about 1.5 hours. I ultimately chose the Blue Sea add a battery kit because I can click it "on" and forget about it for the rest of the day. My last boat, I had the standard 1-2 perko switch and I was constantly switching it during the days to get the batteries charged.

I read through a couple of different threads first before I started my install and purchase.
https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9693

brain_rinse
03-18-2010, 11:28 PM
Although my BEP VSR works just fine, I would go with something else if for no other reason than their tech support person is dumber than a bag of sand.

2007 Outback V
03-21-2010, 12:35 PM
How about surepower? Any thoughts? Seems like a sound system as well. Very simple install.

EarmarkMarine
03-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Yes, the SurePower is easy to install and its very simple in its basic form but you may want to take a more comprehensive approach to your charging system. Its often more than just a matter of convenience. If you're going to have a charger you'll need to address this with a peripheral isolation switch. Also, your complete stereo components must come off the factory harness with 100 percent of your stereo going directly to the stereo battery while the helm buss, starter and alternator remain on the starting battery.

The BEP and Blue Sea ACR/VSR solutions are fine for a fishing boat or fish & ski where lighter draw instrumentation woiuld be the primary concern when at rest and where there would be resistance by boaters, dealers or installers to pull these multiple devices off the helm buss. But we believe in addressing the larger current draw of a big audio system differently. Plus, as mentioned above, most systems only provide for a single bank charger to feed both banks which is particularly flawed with the use of a large stereo, more amp/hours capacity and deep cycling.

We can fix you up with a basic SurePower scenario and schematic that will perfectly fit your stereo application as is and then you can add the options if and when you add an AC shore charger. At some point I believe you'll appreciate taking the big picture perspective.

David
Earmark Marine