PDA

View Full Version : LSV and Skiing

Double D
03-15-2010, 04:39 PM
I know, I know this has been hashed out a few times, but was at the boat show over the weekend and had another dealer/salesman tell me that the LSV wake is actually pretty good when it comes to skiing.

I am just not going to convince the wife on the Mobius LS, plus nobody will get one in around here.

I am not a competitive skier. I get pulled around the lake right now by a 23 foot malibu, a 19 foot SeaRay, and occaisionally a 19 foot Lund Pro-V (hey you don't complain if someone is willing to pull you).

I don't ski the course either, but I do ski at 36 mph at 22 off as a recreational skier.

So what could you compare the LSV wake to? 20 foot Bayliner? Can you even compare it to a bowrider? that would be easiest as those are the boats I typically get pulled behind.

Wife and I sat in the Outback V and it is great behind the glass, but the loss of room in the bow is dissapointing. It really is quite "tiny" up in the front.

so once again, the discussion continues......

newty
03-15-2010, 05:35 PM
We went with the LSV instead of the XLV with the assumption that it had a decent ski wake. We should have bought the XLV.
I'm coming from a solid inboard direct drive and I don't like skiing behind my LSV. I would say half way betweeen the malibu and the sea ray in wake size. Thats empty with 1 person.

skiyaker
03-15-2010, 07:00 PM
hey Double D for what it's worth there's a youtube video of me skiing behind my 08 outback V; this was the last year before the hull change so it's 20'8" and a little lighter than the LSV. I've not done much skiing behind a direct drive and my goal is not to because after that I'm sure I'll hate my V drive for skiing LOL. Anyways, I'd be curious to hear what somebody who skis behind an LSV thinks about wakes on mine vs LSV. This is at 15 off with wife, friend and 2 toddlers in the boat along with a full tank of gas, wakeboards, surf board, and all sorts of snacks, pop, ice, 2 anchors, a battery jump starter etc... so if you had an empty LSV the weight might be similar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSKMTcM9VsQ

mustangairchair
03-15-2010, 08:23 PM
the ls has a lot smaller wake, because the v drive ads alot more weight to the back. if yours has a wake plate bring it down about half way that brings the bow down and cleans up the wake, at 36 mph you sould have a nice wake with the plate down

Sled491
03-15-2010, 10:28 PM
there is a member here ChadM who skiis behind his LSV. Looks good from the pics, but you wouldn't get me to do it, it would be just too frusturating.

maxpower220
03-15-2010, 10:32 PM
First, will an LSV do 36 mph without being at full throttle???

I own an Outback and I don't like the slalom wake it has with a full tank of gas. I have been in an LSV or 2, there is no way I would try to slalom behind that boat. Yes, I am a snob.

I think you will enjoy skiing much more behind an LS (DD) or Outback V.

dru1974
03-15-2010, 11:44 PM
I am a slalom skiier first and bought an ls becouse i love to ski trick ski jump and barefoot dirst but want to wakeboard too. i made sure to get the gravity three system.....you should do the same....

jmvotto
03-16-2010, 10:50 AM
If you buy the LSV, Then Buy a 100ft rope. Its flatter back there otherwise getta wakeboard. my .02

Sled491
03-16-2010, 08:27 PM
100ft rope! Holy Crap, that is as long as my lake :)

Laz
03-16-2010, 11:29 PM
Oh man, that wake is big.

For me, it's DD all the way.

Have a look at my wake in an Outback (please excuse the technique, I've been improving).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QkRh8ROmLpA

skiyaker
03-17-2010, 08:26 AM
nice run(s)!! I don't think any V drive is going to compare to that wake there and I can see why proficient skiers like you guys wouldn't want to ski behind a v-drive (maybe I can use my wake as an excuse for poor skiing? LOL). But back to the original post; I've skied behind bass trackers, rinkers, Lunds, etc and I think the v drive is an upgrade from I/O and outboard wakes for those who free ski recreationally and aren't destined for the slalom course.

chpprpilot
03-17-2010, 10:37 AM
I've owned an Outback LS, an XLV, and I now have a 2009 LSV. I've skied behind them all. I'm a recreational skier and wakeboarder who slalem skis at 22 off at 36mph. Like you, I'm not a snob and will ski behind just about anything. I'm not looking to break any records, I just love to be on the water. The LSV wake is definitely skiable. Even the XLV wake is skiable at 36. We chose the LSV because of its overall size (will fit in garage) and because the wife had a tough time driving the XLV around the dock.
No, you are not going to get a tournament ski wake out of a V drive. That said, it WILL be a lot better than a typical IO Bayliner at 36 if you have a wakeplate. A good dealer will take you out for a test drive. A great dealer will give you a pull to see for yourself. If that doesn't work out for you I would check out one of the Moomba get-togethers for a test pull. Most boat owners would love to show off their wake, or lack thereof.

Just my two cents...

skiyaker
03-17-2010, 02:12 PM
based on what you guys have said I think I'll speed my OBV up a bit this summer- that vid I posted was at 30-32 mph or however fast my wife decides to drive as she looks at the scenery.

kaneboats
03-17-2010, 02:19 PM
I've got one word for you: PerfectPass!

deerfield
03-17-2010, 04:32 PM
....however fast my wife decides to drive as she looks at the scenery.

That's pretty funny.

Double D
03-17-2010, 04:32 PM
Thank you everyone for thier opinion on this.

Zegm: I think you and I have talked about this a million times in the last year or so. I am totally sold on the LS, but I have two issues. 1) nobody will carry an LS so I will need to either go looking for one or have one shipped up here from another dealer. 2) just can't convince my wife that the LS would be the best for us. She wants a V-drive.

there is still 2.6' of ice up here so I don't need to hurry on this one.

kaneboats
03-17-2010, 07:18 PM
Get the LS while you can. Word is it's getting dropped.

I would think a dealer would get it shipped it that's what it takes to make a deal.

moombadaze
03-17-2010, 08:08 PM
Ive been in zegm's boat, there is a lot of room for being a direct drive.

Mikey
03-17-2010, 09:00 PM
As hard as it may be to get an LS, the question you have to ask is how much do you want to ski versus Wakeboard,surf etc.If skiing is a priority you defenitely will be comprimising if you go the Vdrive route as it will be to some degree if you go the DD route.
We have an Outback DD and for skiing is definetely the way to go,but thats Not the issue here.
You are going to comprimise somehow some way. The LS DD is called the Moomba Crossover boat where as the others are a comprimise for skiing at best.
Room /layout are the big comprimise in a LS if Vdrives are your thing, but as mentioned its the same hull as an LSV minus seating in the middle like mentioned isn't there in a Vdrive as well.
Something you may want to consider if you go the DD route is that you will have a very capable boat to ski aggressively behind if you wish especially if you want to take your skiing up a notch.Your chioce. I now ski harder/faster than ever before as i have a very capable ski boat that is a pure joy to ski behind which helped to renew my skiing glory days. The LS is a very versatile boat,for all facets of watersports,so in my opinion don't discount it without giving it its DO.

Mikey
03-17-2010, 09:00 PM
Oh BTW Laz thats some nice skiing footage you have as well.

Sled491
03-17-2010, 10:06 PM
Yeah according to the SC people I met at the boat show the LS is going the way of the Dodo bird. They just don't sell enough of them. That being said if you were going to get one I think you could still order one. And while difficult to find used there are a few around.

Mikey
03-17-2010, 10:11 PM
I was told the same but they are still out there for now. Sled you mentioned the demise of the 325 motor i believe. Aparentely that applies to US boats only for now as i was told its still the base motor for us.

pjw
03-17-2010, 10:14 PM
i have skied behind both LSV and DD. No comparison the Moomba LS is better for skiing good luck finding a dealer that carries one. We had same issue of needing multi sport boat, family etc.. and chose the LSV. I am 51 yrs old skied all my life but i figured at 51 i am not going to attempt the world ski record. So we bought the LSV and i do ski behind it but its a bit of a challenge when i want to get aggressive. Pros of LSV- wakeboarding, room, depth of cockpit (safety), surf, tower and yes skiing. The Outback V is a good comprimise between the 2 but cockpit is not as deep and seating not as high off the floor (tower has been improved in 2010 models). My family spends alot of time on the water and i wanted something for everyone! Its an outstanding surf boat and at 51 that seems to be more my style these days! Ice coming off lakes in minnesota very slowly but the end is in sight!!!!

Sled491
03-17-2010, 10:14 PM
Mikey, interesting.

Here is a used LS that is very reasonable.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=180482248154&ssPageName=ADME:B:SS:MOTORS:1123

yearround
03-18-2010, 11:07 AM
Get the LSV. True, the LSV will not compare to a DD, but you are a rec free skier. not the 5 day/wk course skier like some others here.

I gladly take the slightly larger wake skiing for the benefit of the Vdrive and the space. when we have the family and friends, we regularly hit the capacity of 13 ppl. we all get along fine, still ski.

for the ski only days, we go with 3-4 ppl, an empty tank of gas and ski, still just free ski, no course on the public lakes i frequent.

i would say unless you really want to get into course skiing, go with the V.

Mikey
03-19-2010, 06:55 PM
Funny you say that about the LSV hauling 13 people etc and skiing with 3-4. We ocassionally may have 4-5 people cruising etc ,But when it comes time to ski,Get out. 2-3 MAX and i run an Outback DD. I /we always try to get the softest wake possible. Maybe i'm like Max and a ski snob as well. OH WELL. Its my boat I'll get over it.

Sled491
03-19-2010, 09:24 PM
I think Mikey's point is being missed. We ski every morning and its a driver a spoter and skier out back. One time I invited a buddy to join us and you would have thought I had just drowned a puppy. And to be honest they were right to be uspset, the extra guy completely through the balance of the boat off.

viking
03-20-2010, 01:02 AM
I like how everybody has their own opinion :)
Here's mine:
1.) Your going to compromise on SOMETHING.....start with the highest on your priority list and don't settle!
2.) If you want to get better at any one thing (skiing, wakeboarding, surf, ect..) then get a boat that suits that need as it will best help you improve that part of your game.
3.) Find a friend or 2 and talk them into buying the other boats you decided NOT to get so you can get a tow behind them :)

Good luck!!

skiyaker
03-20-2010, 10:45 AM
I like how everybody has their own opinion :)

3.) Find a friend or 2 and talk them into buying the other boats you decided NOT to get so you can get a tow behind them :)

now that's a great idea; I've often thought in a perfect world I'd have a house with a pier; XLV on one side and nautique 196 on the other; but a neighbor with a 196 would be even better!

Sled491
03-20-2010, 10:00 PM
Hard to argue with that logic, and sure beats the lottery idea I had :)

Double D
03-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Thanks all for your opinions. Bought a lottery ticket yesterday so no point in anyone else lossing a buck...pretty sure mine is the winner. ;-)

If so, by Friday I will have a new LS ordered.

Sled491
03-24-2010, 06:34 PM
A. that's funny :)
B. that's optomistic :D

zegm
03-24-2010, 09:57 PM
So glad to hear you are winning the lottery!!! If I was you I wouldn't wait until I won before I ordered the boat. If SC is going to decide to kill their best all around inboard boat you better get one NOW! :D

Double D
03-25-2010, 09:52 AM
You will all enjoy this......I WON. Unfortunately I only caught two numbers so I believe my ticket is worth $3.00.

Can't believe that SC is going to drop this boat. If they would push their marketing on the LS like they did for the new OBV, you would think they would sell more of them.

BensonWdby
03-25-2010, 05:34 PM
Funny when you talk about passengers and skiing. We normally go out with driver and spotter, rest on the dock. Sometimes a 4th. I get a lot of annoyed and confused looks when I first get out of the water because I am pointing at people and telling them to swap, or move left/right to balance the wake on my Mobius DD. The good news is that I am skiing short enough rope these days to where I can almost talk to them...

Sled491
03-25-2010, 10:02 PM
Dave you're spot on with that. Most skiers would never have more than the driver and spotter in the boat any ways. Talking about a boat full of people on a sunday afternoon is not really skiing. Last summer I was behind Deerfields boat at the Jamboree. There was 2 of my kids in the boat, 2 or 3 of Deerfields kids and maybe a girl friend or 2. The river was nuts with traffic. I tried to show some turns, but the fact of the matter was I was just trying not to get killed :)

zegm
03-26-2010, 07:06 AM
You will all enjoy this......I WON. Unfortunately I only caught two numbers so I believe my ticket is worth $3.00.

Can't believe that SC is going to drop this boat. If they would push their marketing on the LS like they did for the new OBV, you would think they would sell more of them.

Well when it gets right down to it, they probably sell as many ski boats today as they did in 1975. And apparently that boat is the outback for SC. We moved up to a bigger ski boat (a v-drive is not a ski boat) so we could take more people but still be able to run down the course. If in the future we decided to get another ski boat (we love the LS so this future would be a long way away) and SC didn't sell them I would buy another Master Craft or Ski Natique. I couldn't afford new but used would be OK. On my lake which is smallish there are 3 salom courses and several boats from MasterCraft, Moomba, Ski Natique. I have yet to see one of the Pretenders (Malibu, Gecko, etc) and I have yet to see a Supra anywhere around here. The fact is that people use these boats here to ski. We are the only ones to surf and the boats that are in this list that are v-drive (minority) are usually pulling tubes on this lake and are Moombas. A V-drive is a great wakeboard and surfing boat, but many of the people on this lake that have them know that they can just be a great family boat too as Moomba has made them much more affordable and everyone wants a boat that has a Big Cool Name down the side! MasterCraft started that "Bling" way back when!