PDA

View Full Version : New boat ... too many problems ???

SpdRacr50
11-15-2002, 01:09 AM
I purchased a brand new 2002 Moomba Outback LS from the dealer with 3 hours on it, Rad-a-cage, ballast system, 310 Indmar. I had a friend who had a 99 Mobius Pro and had bad luck with it, and eventually got a Mobius V, but I was gonna show him that I wasn't gonna have any problems. First day out on the water, the bilge pump went out, the radio stopped working, and the driver console started coming unscrewed from the floor. I don't know about anyone else, but this doesn't sound like something to expect from a brand new boat. Not that I am complaing, b/c I love the boat, But just curious if any of this sounds familiar ??? Thanks for the input.

Keaton
12-08-2003, 11:06 PM
I know what your talking about. I bought a new 03 mobius V.
I had problems the day we took it on a test drive. First the
Ballast pump on the center was wired up backwards so it was
emtying instead of filling. Then the fitting was leaking and
filling up the builge so the auto builge was coming on. They fixed all that so I bought it. The next day I was just looking at
it and admiring it and noticed gelcoat cracks on the dash near the glovebox and around the cup holder on the floor. Took it back and they fixed that. I Picked it up, brought it home and notice more gelcoat cracks on the left front above the rub rail. Thats being fixed right now. I don't know what else is wrong with it because Iv only owned it for 3 weeks and only had it out one time. Who knows what will happen next. I feel your pain my friend. Makes you wonder. If moomba sells quality at low cost then wheres the quality?
Keaton

noneya
12-09-2003, 09:55 AM
If you just purchased a 2002 w/ only 3 hours on it, it must have been sitting for awhile. Just give em a chance to fix it and should be OK. I just got my 2nd Moomba, I put a lot of hours on my first one without any probs and the few issues I did have were taken care of to my complete satisfaction.

SMUMATTMAN
12-09-2003, 01:26 PM
Who did you purchase the boat from? Was it from a Moomba dealer if so they should and probably will stand behind the boat and make sure all the issues are resolved. As the previous post state if it's a 2002 it has probably been sitting around for at least 2 years since most dealers sell out of model years around Sept or Oct. I'm surprised you could find a new 02 this late in 2003. Have faith the issue will get resolved and you will be satisfied.

SpdRacr50
12-10-2003, 04:01 PM
If you will notice, I bought the boat a year ago, in November of 2002. Yes I bought it from the Moomba dealer here in Houston, TX. All of the problems did get fixed, but it has been an ongoing process and more and more problems. That was when I first got the boat ... I have had about 10 warranty claims in one year. I still do not have all the bugs worked out, and am still having he same problems I have always had. I'm glad that this is not the norm and from what I have heard, I guess I just got a lemon. The norm has been to go out on the weekends, take the boat to the shop on Monday ... it kinda sux. I pay monthly on the boat and have WAY too many problems for it to sit in the shop so much. I dont have the time or room to discuss all the problems, but anyone have a similar story? I'm glad you guys have had such good luck with very few problems, and this is what I expected and still expect from Skiers Choice/Moomba. I think they are a way underrated company and have alot better quality than I have seen personally, just by judging from other peoples comments. But it sux to break down or get stranded every time I have gone out in the boat for the last 10 times.

J

Bfrank
12-12-2003, 11:02 PM
I have an 04 Mobius LSV, 320EFI.
1st was Perfect Pass not wired properly, motor kept missing, took awhile to trouble shoot it, finally got it repaired.
2nd was vinyl was tearing on rear motor cover and around corners of all the seat cushions with less than 30 hrs on the boat. Still do not have that repaired.
3rd was screws installed to long into hull around ski locker, poked holes into FATSAC and after a month finally got new Fatsac but still no solution to the screw problem. Cannot get Skiers Choice to respond. Brian Raymond has been usless through all of these problems, will never respond to voicemail or e-mail.
4th Boatcover has Moomba logo upside down and backwards, still have no solution to that either.
Just recently got a letter from President of Skiers Choice asking me how I liked the quality of the Boat......not sure haven't seen much.
I will say the Indmar 320 EFI is bad to the bone, best part of the boat so far.

Brent
Ventura, California

Bfrank
12-19-2003, 04:16 PM
Well, I got the new boat cover yesterday.
Brian called me this week about the screws poking through in the ski locker and fat sac.
Starting to knock down all these little service issues.

Brent

SpdRacr50
12-19-2003, 11:59 PM
Well, thats good to hear ... slowly but surely is better than nothing at all. I asked my boat dealer and he said that they had never had an instance with the boat cover, but I have heard of it before.

J

Bfrank
12-21-2003, 12:33 PM
I might just fix these screws myself, tired of waiting.
How hard can it be.
I have not had a good wake in about five weeks. I have to get this fixed before I can stick the new fatsac back in the ski locker. I am trying to get the last good days of the year before it gets to cold, not many days left. Try jumping a wake on only the two rear bags, kind of weak.

Merry Moomba Christmas to ALL.......

Keaton
01-02-2004, 06:31 PM
well at least you got a response. I emailed Matt Brown. (product mangager) and told hime all my problems. He said he would look into it. Never heard from him again after that. Alwell. It doen't matter. Iv already decided I'll never buy another skiers choice product again. Bluntly speaking. I don't think they could do anything to please me at this point. Iv had all I can take with all the problems. Seems like every time I take it out I find somthing else thats broke or doesn't work.

Bfrank
01-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Keaton,
Hey you are actually in luck, you have an awesome Moomba dealer in Dallas, Ski Boats Dallas. They are great guys and I bet they would help you with all of your service issues. I wish I had those guys near me, I would be much happier. You should call them and give them a shot, ask for Dennis.

Brent Frank
Ventura, Ca

Keaton
01-08-2004, 06:51 PM
Good service isn't the issue. My dealer has done an outstanding job of helping me and working on my boat. The problem is that too many things go wrong with it. Like I said in previous post, all I wanted was skiers choice to call me and help me understand why my boat is always breaking. They never would get in touch with me. Even after I tried calling them. I will say one thing. Latly I haven't had any problems. Have accually taken it out 3 time and have not had any probelms.

Bfrank
01-11-2004, 12:43 AM
I feel your pain.....I also have had luck lately, things are looking up. I think I have the majority of the service issues resolved.
Happy Boating

Brent

wakeraider
01-26-2004, 02:56 PM
yeah i have an 01 outback ls. i love my boat for the money. but you have to deal w/many issues like sucking water into the gas tank. took awhile to figure out why my boat ran like shit for so long. i fixed that mysaelf. there are spidercracks everywhere. dash falls apart constantly. dash lights never work togeather, some are on some arent, sometimes none sometimes all work. small stuff though. radio has now quit working, driver seat frequently unscrews itself, all the molding hardware comes unscrewed, grab handles all come unscrewed at some point, maybe you guys could spring for lock nuts or lock tite, screw hole fillers on grab handle rip off at some point. the seats stain for no apparent reason since i clean and cover my boat consistently. the glove box holder upper spring has come unglued several times. and in choppy water it almost is unbareable. BUT I STILL LOVE MY BOAT AND WOULD BUY ANOTHER because i am too cheap to spend 40 - 50 on a MASTERCRAFT which has it's own problems. I compare my boat to a harley, half the fun is constantly working on them!!!!!! not. Maybe the japanese could refine a ski boat and keep it reasonably priced. J/K. If anyone at skiers choice would like me to do product testing I think i'd be good.

waterboy
01-28-2004, 09:05 AM
Wow, that's a whole lot of problems to have, and not be cheesed off. I guess I'm pretty lucky that my '01 Outback LS only had the glovebox issue.
Just curious, how was the water getting in your gas tank?
Got the wake plate on mine and choppy water is no problem at all....does yours have one, and have you tried it in the rough stuff?

Hope your luck changes!

Brian

wakegmoney
01-29-2004, 10:02 PM
I was told by a Moomba dealer that the water in the tank was caused by bad gas, curious to know if you were told the same. My dash board lights never work together as well, and I have lost all electrical power while cruisin'. Any insight would be great. My boat is also the victim of the "spidering" of the fiberglass. I am like a lot of MOOMBA owners, would by another one in a heartbeat, but being how I have a 2000 model Kamberra, I hope when I take it to a dealer I can at least get the spiders fixed. There aren't many Moomba's on the lake where I boat and the higher end ski boats seem to have more mechanical problems than mine. So that makes these little issues seem bearable.

Jeff

noneya
01-30-2004, 11:16 AM
I had the water in the gas prob w/ my 2001 Outback a few times, was told it was probably the gas. However I personally think it is caused by the vents for the gas tank being in the gas cap. I started making extra sure I got the cover good and tight over the cap and putting in some heet everynow and then and didnt have any further problems.

01-31-2004, 02:32 AM
WOW
I am scared.......glad I live here!

Keaton
02-09-2004, 05:47 PM
You guys with the water in gas tank issue using fuel Stabile?
Iv noticed a couple of times when I put gas in my mobius that the gas cap was loose. Maybe water enters through there.