PDA

View Full Version : Outback V Tsunami upgrade

byronkoz
03-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Just thought id post this up since there was some question as to weather these pumps would fit in a smaller space. I put a couple differant manifolds togeather just to see how they would work.

Heres the first one

byronkoz
03-14-2010, 05:30 PM
And the one I decided to go with

byronkoz
03-14-2010, 05:31 PM
And installed

byronkoz
03-14-2010, 05:34 PM
Vented loops

newty
03-14-2010, 06:43 PM
Looks snuggish in there! Nice work. :D Thats a great place for those vents.
I noticed you have the same interior speakers as me. Nice choice.

Nice Heiny BTW:p

2007 Outback V
03-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Tight fit!!! :D Not easy to work in such a small area. Excellent job!
Did your boat come stock with GIII? If not, what are you using for drain pumps? Post more pics once you're done ;)

kaneboats
03-14-2010, 08:17 PM
Very slick. Good use of your space.

byronkoz
03-14-2010, 10:08 PM
Looks snuggish in there! Nice work. :D Thats a great place for those vents.
I noticed you have the same interior speakers as me. Nice choice.

Nice Heiny BTW:p

Yeah I have 4 of the same but 6X9's on the tower, love them.
Love the Heiny's too. lol

byronkoz
03-14-2010, 10:20 PM
Tight fit!!! :D Not easy to work in such a small area. Excellent job!
Did your boat come stock with GIII? If not, what are you using for drain pumps? Post more pics once you're done ;)

Nope it came with the GI. Im using the stock empty pump for the ski locker sac and Tsunami's for the rear sacs.

jasonwm
03-17-2010, 03:42 PM
Thanks for the pics, just so you (and anyone else that's interested) know, Tsunami pumps with the long inlet use straight thread, so you can cut that down with a hack saw to 3/4" of an inch and it will still thread into your fittngs fine. That makes it a little easier to fit everything into cramped bilge compartments.

Also, ideally you should use bronze fittings for this application and not brass. Brass will undergo galvanic corrosion at a much faster rate, in fact we've seen brass ball valves fail in less than a year. If it's past the ball valve you can switch to plastic, which will save you quite a bit of weight and money.

Nice install though, can't wait to see the finished product!

jasonwm
03-17-2010, 03:43 PM
Haha! So of course right after I posted that I looked at your pictures closer and realized that you did shorten one of the pumps.

So go ahead and disregard that last post. :)

byronkoz
03-19-2010, 10:51 AM
Thanks Jason for the input. I actually used plastic pipe cutters for cutting the stem on the pumps, cleaner and streighter cut, but im a plumber so I had a set handy.

I stayed away from pvc due to it being flexable and its tendancy to become brittle, espessially in a warm engine compartment. Id think the more rigid the better for this applicaton. If anyone does use pvc id recommend using schedule 80.

byronkoz
03-19-2010, 03:01 PM
Oh and can someone tell me, am I better off puting the empty pumps under the rear seats in front of the sacs even with the dump through hulls or at the transom?

byronkoz
03-20-2010, 07:00 PM
Ok so I decided to place the drain pumps under the seats and have the sacs fill from the same location rather than at the transome.

Drilled and installed thru hulls for empty pumps. My boat came with just the G1 so I had to add one on each side of the boat. I replace the crappy plastic bilge thru hull while I was at it.

byronkoz
03-20-2010, 07:09 PM
Also decided im going to install a fill and an empty male quick disconnect behind the drivers seat for filling the extra 400lb sac that will go on the seat, depending what side we're surfing on.

Im using the emty pump from the rear sac with two swing checks to prevent water from feeding back into either sac when draining. I'll mount the male quick connects in the seat pedistal just behind the drivers seat.

byronkoz
03-20-2010, 07:15 PM
For filling I teed into the passsanger side fill pump. We are all goofy footers so I will rarely need to fill that side so this will work great for us. If we used that side of the boat more for surfing id have just tied into the front sac instead.

Heres what I came up with.

mmandley
03-20-2010, 07:34 PM
Looks real sweet man. Nice work lining the Threw hulls up too.

McMoomba
03-20-2010, 08:43 PM
Oh and can someone tell me, am I better off puting the empty pumps under the rear seats in front of the sacs even with the dump through hulls or at the transom?

Sorry to reply late, I put my pumps at the front of the sac and will be moving them to the rear. My issue is that when I empty I am on my way back to the ramp and the bow is raised and the rear sacks do not empty completely until the boat is sitting level.

jmvotto
03-21-2010, 08:49 AM
byron,

what is the location of the rear thru hull fittings??

are they both on the port side or one on each.

Great looking project, looks like you pulled the floor.

byronkoz
03-21-2010, 11:31 AM
byron,

what is the location of the rear thru hull fittings??

are they both on the port side or one on each.

Great looking project, looks like you pulled the floor.

Theres one on each side. The other one on the driver side is the bilge dump. I pulled the floor for new carpet.

byronkoz
03-21-2010, 11:34 AM
McMoomba, thanks for the reply. Im going to put the pumps up front and see how it goes. If I have to remove the sacs to completely drain them or just lift the sac up, thats fine.

DOCDRS
03-21-2010, 11:46 AM
If your drain from the bags is rear facing shouldn't be a problem. Nice use of the one way valves

2007 Outback V
03-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Theres one on each side. The other one on the driver side is the bilge dump. I pulled the floor for new carpet.

Ok, I was tried to figure out how to pull the floor. I removed the screws all the way around the perimeter, then got stuck? What did I miss? I would like to replace my carpet in the future.

Thanks

byronkoz
03-21-2010, 01:12 PM
Ok, I was tried to figure out how to pull the floor. I removed the screws all the way around the perimeter, then got stuck? What did I miss? I would like to replace my carpet in the future.

Thanks

Under the seats there are two screws on each side that hold the floor down. There right behind the ice chest on the passanger side and directly accross on the drivers side. I ordered my carpet from the dealer. They discontinued the grey carpet that came in mine but the new stuff is close and way thicker, I think 40 oz?

byronkoz
03-24-2010, 07:06 PM
Cut a hole for my switches and installed the bracket to hold them. Im using the existing switch on the dash for the front sac and this will hold the switches for the rears. Also installed the quick connects behind the drivers seat.

I have all the wiring run and everything plummbed except the the quick connects. My sac and the last of my fittings should be here from Wakemakers this week and I can finish up. Hopefully lake test it this weekend if the weather holds up.

jasonwm
04-27-2010, 06:39 PM
Nice install! I love to see people getting creative with the setups.