PDA

View Full Version : Water Temp and getting wet

Moseley618
03-14-2010, 04:39 PM
This is my first year with water sports. So, I want to know what water and air temp do you guys use as a guide to get in? What temp do you wear wet suit full vs shorty? Then when do you just get in with just shorts?

Thanks

Kevin
PS I am super pumped, I can't watch anymore videos or read anymore post just want to get on the water! Come on Spring!

Moseley618
03-14-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks Ed, that gives me a great starting point.

Mikey
03-14-2010, 05:39 PM
There is a chart with suggested options using water and air temps combined to help you decide what should be appropriate. Unfortunetely i can't remember were to find . Maybe someone can help out on this.
As for myself and lots of us Northerners,usually as soon as the ice is off Drysuits and as water warms,any thing above about 60 for me a wetsuit and 68 and over its no suit. Any water warmer than that is a BONUS,with 80 being about the warmest we encounter in our usuall travels. That requires some travel south for us just to get that.
Anyway look for a chart or go on a wetsuit website possibly for more suggestions.

Lawdog
03-14-2010, 05:42 PM
Alot of people follow the 100 rule...The water temp plus the air temp equals 100 or more. Example would be 50 degree water temp plus 50 degree air temp equals 100. It's all about preference though. I personally wear a full wet suit when the water is in the upper 40's and one of my buddies only wears his board shorts. I dont know how he does it. Good luck and have fun this season.

skiyaker
03-14-2010, 07:46 PM
good point about personal preference; at 55-65 I'll wear a full length suit; 65-70 I'll wear a short suit unless the air is 70+ and then I'll trunk it. I have a friend who trunks it in anything 55+ but he's half nuts.

Hey guys remember to be extra careful with flotation around cold water- it's not hypothermia that usually kills in cold water conditions it's cold shock. Wear your life jackets anywhere around cold water in case you fall in. Here's my favorite video on the subject- hope the link works. If not just you tube "cold water boot camp"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1xohI3B4Uc&feature=PlayList&p=1E693B5D29807864&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=3

yearround
03-14-2010, 09:32 PM
I guess the life jacket is important, after that if the water is soft I'm in. I really enjoy the dry suit, I almost never use a wet suit any more. Just get in and do what you can. It usually takes your breath away but it comes back. We usually trunk it when the water is over 60.

Let us know how the first ride goes.

jester
03-14-2010, 09:54 PM
Current water temp has been 46* with air temp around 50*. Full dry suit but some of my friends use a full wetsuit. Very cold and do not get in if you are just learning. Once the water temp gets to about 65* I will go in with just shorts. Love having heaters on the boat.

jester
03-14-2010, 09:58 PM
Also to add to the PFD's for cold water i do enjoy having Mustang inflatable. Easy to have on and does not get in the way. Only inflates when you pull the cord or if you fall into the water.

http://www.mustangsurvival.com/products/product.php?id=627

byronkoz
03-14-2010, 10:26 PM
Soon as the waters in the 60's im in and trunkin it, but up here by the time waters in the 60's air is 80's plus so it feels good.

mmandley
03-14-2010, 10:38 PM
Soon as the waters in the 60's im in and trunkin it, but up here by the time waters in the 60's air is 80's plus so it feels good.

Im with ya on the 60s, and 70s Sunny im warm enough. Claudia says im part fish, as soon as the boat is in the water, and we get out in the open and stop a second bam im over the side in the water LOL

ian ashton
03-14-2010, 10:39 PM
Alot of people follow the 100 rule...The water temp plus the air temp equals 100 or more. Example would be 50 degree water temp plus 50 degree air temp equals 100. It's all about preference though. I personally wear a full wet suit when the water is in the upper 40's and one of my buddies only wears his board shorts. I dont know how he does it. Good luck and have fun this season.

This is what we do (give or take; have had a few rimes with 50 degree water and 40 degree air), and it seems to be fine. I never wear a full wetsuit; mine has short legs and long sleeves. If it's really cold I'll dock start and drop in shallow water. Usually stop using the wetsuit when the water gets around 65 or so.

kaneboats
03-14-2010, 11:14 PM
We did a poll on this back in December. We have some arctic seals in the group on here.

https://forum.moomba.com/showthread.php?t=9727

Jeff W
03-15-2010, 01:02 PM
Rode last year in 36 degree water. I wore a full wet suit, I should have wore a dry suit.

I think anything over 50 degree water temps is long wet suite
Anything under 50 degrees is dry suit
Anything over 65 degrees is shorts and maybe a heater top depending on air temps

Mikey
03-15-2010, 11:06 PM
The chart i was refering to uses the combination adding up to 100,which suggests which type of wetsuit or drysuit you should wear. I just can't find it.

you da man
03-15-2010, 11:11 PM
Jeeeez, you guys are in shorties in the 70 degree range? Heater top down to 65, then maybe a shorty. Don't have a full length yet but if I needed a full length I'm going drysuit.