PDA

View Full Version : Installing cleats

Storm
06-07-2004, 09:37 PM
This is my first post on this board, but I have been reading for some time. Have gotten a lot of great info. Thanks. I have resently purchased a 97 outback and have been doing a few minor repairs. The boat is in great shape with only minor problems so far. The project I am working on now is installing cleats. I have purchased Attwood Neat Cleats and am pretty concerned about drilling the first hole. Anyone have any photos. I am unsure of the best location and have been unable to find any good photos on line. Thanks in advance for the help

Storm
06-08-2004, 08:24 AM
Inliner,

Yes would love some photos. Have been doing a few modifications lately. Last week installed a depth finder and an Alpine stereo. Cutting the hole in the dash for the depth finder was not nearly as scary as that first hole through the gel coat. Have always been one to plan everything to death. Have had the cleats for two weeks now and have still not decided on a location. Have been using some creative methods to tie off the boat in my boat slip to keep the front end out from under the dock. Not able to put the cover on it with my alternative methods. Need to get those cleats on so I can keep the interior out of the weather when not in use. The boat is a 97 but is in excellent shape inside and out. Hope to keep it that way. Bought the boat in MI. Doubt it got much use up there. I live in FL, but had a hard time finding one in as good of shape as this one down there. Currently have it on a small lake in the Chicago area where I am working. Due to all the rain the lake is a no wake zone until the water levels go down. Have too much time to spend money on it and not enough time behind it. You can e-mail the photos to me at [email protected] if that is easier. Thanks again for all the useful info here. Storm

SkiKY
06-08-2004, 08:31 AM
I installed one of the cleats on the bow of my boat and it was very simple. The install requires around a 7/8 hole saw to cut two holes for the through bolts. I have heard that when you cut through the top surface gel-coat with a hole saw you should do so in reverse so it is less likely to chip. I didn't know that at the time and cut mine with masking tape and in forward and didn't have a problem-

Good luck.

Storm
06-10-2004, 08:26 PM
Inliner,

Thanks for trying. Sorry to hear about your camera. I have a good idea where I plan on installing the cleats, just wanted to see where someone else installed theirs just to ease my mind. Maybe someone else has a photo they could send. Been looking around the marina, but nothing here but pontoon boats. No dealer near either. If the rain will stop long enough I plan on drilling some holes in my boat. 8 7/8" holes. Man that sounds bad.

Good news is that in a month that $300 camera will only cost $150. I still have one that I paid $600 for that I could replace today cheaper than a new memory card for it. Thanks again for trying.

Storm

SMUMATTMAN
06-11-2004, 12:33 AM
Gordon, Sorry to hear about your camera. Try going to B&H Photo and Video at: www.bhphotovideo.com they have great pricing, ship fast, and have amazing customer service.

Storm
06-12-2004, 11:46 AM
Lot of good deals on e-bay for digital cameras. A friend on mine is looking for a professional quality digita camera (retail around $5000). He likes to submit his photos for publication. He is doing a lot of research and has found some great deals on some demos at e-bay. Most have longer waranties than new cameras and are as much as 50% off retail in some cases. Cant wait to get him and that new camera on the boat while I'm skiing.

Storm

carsondoc
06-27-2005, 02:21 PM
Gordon, I'm installing the same Neat Cleat and was wondering if you used the optional gasket between the cleat and the decking or if you just used the marine sealant. Whichever you did, did it end up working out ok?

Also, did you use or make any kind of a backing plate on the underside of the deck to strengthen it or just tighten up the the nuts?

Thanks for your help on this one.

EUSTACE
06-28-2005, 08:13 AM
DO NOT over tighten, I installed them last year and cracked the gel coat on the last cleat from over tightening…. PS- Functionally they work great an overall good product.

E.

carsondoc
06-28-2005, 03:25 PM
E,
Did you just use a silicone sealant btwn the deck and the cleat?

EUSTACE
06-29-2005, 11:17 AM
Carsondoc, Yes I used standard clear RTV.

carsondoc
06-29-2005, 11:24 AM
Thanks E. I just drilled the holes in the deck last night. Now I need to find a deep
1.25" socket to finish it off.