PDA

View Full Version : Norris Lake in Tennessee

Reese350
03-12-2010, 11:45 PM
We just booked a "floating house" for a week this summer at Flat Hollow Marina on Norris Lake in Tennessee. Anyone ever been on the lake? Looks nice...

kaneboats
03-12-2010, 11:56 PM
Never been there but it's supposed to be beautiful. We have a couple guys on here nearby, I think.

BlueGiant
03-13-2010, 10:11 AM
We have been there every year for the past 8 or 9 years. It is a big lake and in some areas not a lot of activity. Durring the week you can find some real good water.

The floating houses are the way to stay if you want to spend all your time on the water. They are really nice and you just jump in the water if you want to swim. When you want to boat you just get in the boat and go. Most have room to put your toys so you do not have to carry them with you. It is nice when you do not need to carry all your toys.

Some of the lake is narrow with hills up both sides. This makes it nice when the wind is up and you want to find some good water.

You will love it there.

gus 08 mobius lsv
03-14-2010, 07:07 PM
our family went there in 07 and 08 got a house boat instead cause we had about 14 of us on our trips. we went to flat hollow as well just redone two years ago i think and its pretty nice there and people are nice as well. i loved the area. check out the shanghi area its about 20 min. boat ride and there are multi million dollar homes there some are sports athletes and country singers. there are some cliffs to jump off of that was really fun but most of all the water was always beautiful almost always had glass. not much boat traffic in that area either.
check with them at the marina and see if there are still the low areas to get a heads up there was one that wasn't marked that you can beach a boat on it before ya know it.
only downfall of that place is the set up of their parking...kinda hoakie but other then that great overall place.

patrick232
03-14-2010, 09:45 PM
We have a condo on Norris Lake just north of Sugar Hollow Marina and the jumping bridge, and have been going since 1996. During the week you will have great water, on the weekends it does get a little busy.
Since you are staying at Flat Hollow the cove behind the floating house is a nice one, not too many houses yet. Only problem I know of is heading left from Flat Hollow there are some spots that are shallow or dry depending the the water level. Anything over 1015' you should be fine 1005' it becomes shallow and 1000' your dry.
You can follow the lake levels at http://www.norrislake.info/
And if anyone is interested in a rental our's is http://www.norrislake.info/Rentals/Info.asp?RentalID=413

jclay5
03-15-2010, 08:58 AM
I spend all summer every summer on this lake... The lake is beautiful you will love it!

sailing217
03-15-2010, 12:13 PM
Went for the first time last year and loved it. My new favorite lake. We stayed near Shanghai and it got busy on the weekend.
Where you're staying, I hear the water is glass everywhere. Not really a party nightlife, but we made our own.

iwakeboard
03-15-2010, 03:07 PM
It's a horrible horrible lake, stay away! Lake Cumberland is a good substitute :D

Reese350
03-15-2010, 11:21 PM
Thanks guys, it sounds like we made a good choice. We've always gone to Lake Cumberland but ready for a new "get away". Kids can't wait to sleep in the floating house...

patrick232
03-16-2010, 08:59 AM
It's a horrible horrible lake, stay away! Lake Cumberland is a good substitute :D

Little boats can come to Norris Lake, but please keep the Tri-Power Boats at Lake Cumberland

Reese350
03-16-2010, 08:44 PM
Cool, I'll bring the Moomba and leave the Fountain back in MI.

patrick232
03-19-2010, 11:50 AM
Cool, I'll bring the Moomba and leave the Fountain back in MI.

For a lake this large you will have more fun on the moomba relaxing looking at the cliffs, houses, and boarding.
I will take a GFBL any day on the great lakes, we loved running our 26' Ebbtide with the 496 and captian calls on Lake Erie wide open for miles:)