PDA

View Full Version : swim platform getting loose

liquidlite
03-09-2010, 01:30 PM
anyone ever have problems with this? the left bracket is starting to loosen up. i noticed that at least one of the screws is stripped. any advice would be much appreciated. i would definitely like to take care of this before the summer rolls around.

liquidlite
03-09-2010, 01:33 PM
oh, and the boat is out of warranty.

kaneboats
03-09-2010, 03:48 PM
I'd be tempted to remove the screw and fill with epoxy, then drill a small hole and reinsert the screw.

moombadaze
03-09-2010, 04:10 PM
should be throu bolted--could be a pain to find the nuts on the inside of the hull.

liquidlite
03-09-2010, 04:46 PM
i'm assuming you reinforced it with some sort of plate on the inside of the hull? i thought about putting some bolts in there, but have to think it's going to be tricky as he!! to get under the floor to where the screws (or bolts) are located. on another note, it is 60 up in chicago. that's just about good enough to get out and ride. too bad the tasks keep piling up.

dereklschmidt
03-15-2010, 10:32 AM
Mine are loose too on my 00 Mob V. They are self tapping screws as well and I know the 2 bottom ones on both side are stripped. I tried the epoxy and it broke out again after about a month. I don't even know if I can get to the back side of them to drill them through and use stainless bolts. I will check this weekend. If I can do that, what is the best way to get a water tight seal all the way around it? Last thing I want to do is drill another thru-hull hole and create a leak...

mustangairchair
03-15-2010, 07:58 PM
iremoved mine off my 02 lsv and the nuts are under the carpet was not that bad. put sealer in the new bolts

Bcoutsfly
03-17-2010, 01:05 PM
I actually lost my platform last year while trolling down the river last summer. It took us two hours to finally locate it. A home owner found it and propped it up on their dock so we could see it. I bought some bigger screws and epoxied them into the fiberglass. Ruined my day. :mad:

sanity
03-18-2010, 12:57 AM
Bcoutsfly, how did the platform not sink? Is yours teak?

tailgate
03-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Ive been told the fiberglass platforms will float...

sanity
03-23-2010, 12:34 PM
Ive been told the fiberglass platforms will float...

Amazing. I have to take my swim platform on and off every time I use the boat and it ain't light. Now I have to try this out :)

iwakeboard
03-23-2010, 12:57 PM
I was on a Supra once that the swim platform came off of during surfing (rider managed to dodge it), the owner had replaced the pins with a bolt/nut that wasn't a nyloc so it came right off. It floated. Have you all ever tried to get in one of these boats without the platform? Needless to say, it isn't easy, haha

mmandley
03-23-2010, 07:08 PM
I was on a Supra once that the swim platform came off of during surfing (rider managed to dodge it), the owner had replaced the pins with a bolt/nut that wasn't a nyloc so it came right off. It floated. Have you all ever tried to get in one of these boats without the platform? Needless to say, it isn't easy, haha

HAHAHA we are about to go on vacation and a few of my buddies so nicely said they would Boat sit for us while we were gone and thats pretty much what i told them.

If i let you boat sit im not giving you the swim deck LOL.

Bcoutsfly
03-24-2010, 01:56 PM
It definitely floats. Otherwise, I would no longer be the owner of a swim platform. :D

Anyway, for those of you who haven't had any platform issues I'd put it on the to do list. It could turn into safety issue eventually.

sanity
03-24-2010, 02:28 PM
Other than the dealer, anyone know where you can get a swim platform pins just like the ones you get with the boat? I just got a couple new ones. I think I paid like $8 a piece at the dealer. Pic attached.

Bcoutsfly
03-25-2010, 03:56 PM
No dude, the stock clips are over priced pieces of junk!

I'll post some pics of the ones I used, paid $2 a piece and haven't had any problems yet. Think I went through several sets of the stock clips before I got smart.

iwakeboard
03-25-2010, 04:02 PM
sanity, you can get those in the MSC catalog, I can't remember where it's at in there but I'm sure it's under pins. I bought some a long time ago, but they didn't have the key-chain ring on them. I replaced them with a bolt and nyloc though. I'm sure they worked well but I trust nylocs :D

squeeg333
03-25-2010, 04:54 PM
For those of you guys who have replaced the stock pins and/or bored out the holes in the brackets, what size did you go up to? I'm looking at drilling the holes bigger on my brackets this year due to excessive play in the stock holes. I'm hoping to the get swim platform to be more solid than it is now.

sanity
03-25-2010, 05:03 PM
Cool. I'd be interested to see what everyone is replacing their bolts with. One constraint is that I have to take the platform on/off everytime I use the boat, so any replacement solution has to be pretty easy to take on off. With the stock pins I've had them bend and fall out before (and they also allow lots of play), but otherwise they seem to do the trick.

Bcoutsfly
03-25-2010, 08:04 PM
http://i60.servimg.com/u/f60/13/90/66/38/roo210.jpg
http://i60.servimg.com/u/f60/13/90/66/38/roo110.jpg

They're not as clean as the stock clips but what do I care? At least they match the prop and plug :D

Bcoutsfly
03-25-2010, 08:07 PM
Oh! And as you can see they fit the hole perfectly. Not near as much play anymore.

viking
03-25-2010, 10:32 PM
Cool. I'd be interested to see what everyone is replacing their bolts with. One constraint is that I have to take the platform on/off everytime I use the boat, so any replacement solution has to be pretty easy to take on off. With the stock pins I've had them bend and fall out before (and they also allow lots of play), but otherwise they seem to do the trick.

Where can you find the stock replacement pins (other than the dealer)? I think they are called Swivel Lock Pins and I cannot track them down. And YES - they are overpriced at the dealer. They do a good job but got one that is bending and worn and it's a matter of time :( They gotta be had a wholesale somewhere?? But where?

Moseley618
03-25-2010, 10:59 PM
Try this place.

http://www.fastenal.com/web/products.ex?N=999600108&Nty=0

VA LSV
03-26-2010, 06:32 AM
Took the brackets off my swim platform, welded up the holes, installed everything on the boat and drilled 5/16 holes through brackets & hangers so everything lined up. No more rattle. Used these pins.
http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/items/5VU22?Pid=search