PDA

View Full Version : ballast pump question

stretch55
03-08-2010, 12:41 AM
Ok, I have a 2005 XLV and it has the factory sacks, 2 250lbs in the rear and 1 600 in the front. For a total of 1100. Next season I would like to upgrade to the 2400lb system. BUT. and here is the big BUT. I have a 1 pump system with 3 spinkler valves and it takes like 15min to fill the 1100lbs. I thought I read somewhere that you get could get a bigger pump and and it would drastically improve the speed. I would rather go that rout then redo the whole system with 3 pumps and vented loops and all that non sense. I mean If I could get a faster pump and the bigger system and it still took 15min that would be fine. I just don't want the bigger system and 30min..

Sled491
03-08-2010, 08:53 AM
Head over to modifications, and check in with Jesse he's kind of a DIY ballast guru, well in my opinion :)

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 08:56 AM
Moombadaze had a bunch of recent stuff on this too and Newty not too long ago as well. You can just search for posts by them or search on "Rule" and "Tsunami", I think. Lots of good stuff there that I'll be reading again more closely too.

Sled491
03-08-2010, 09:29 AM
That's right, you miss the upgrade with your new ride :(. Still has to be better than our old way!

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 10:18 AM
It's going to be OK. I already own two very nice 2000 gph Rule pumps that I used to fill my surf bags. That's almost half the fight right there.

moombadaze
03-08-2010, 11:12 AM
It's going to be OK. I already own two very nice 2000 gph Rule pumps that I used to fill my surf bags. That's almost half the fight right there.

Glad you have those pumps, will make moding your fill system much easier and trust me you will want to. I new when we were at lanier that the fill system sucked and that was the 1st time i used it

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 11:40 AM
I am going to need a step by step -- or I should say "stage by stage" plan with a parts list. Donna does not understand the necessity of cutting into a new boat so we'll have to go one thing at a time. I just don't want to repeat or redo anything. So, if I can change or add a pump or two here or there for speed sake in the place I will ultimately need it, that would be best for now. I won't be cutting the cooler out this year but you can bet it's going to happen for next year. On the other hand, I do usually have enough people in the boat where I may never have to do it. She'll have to find out for herself that it's not a cooler anyway. I'm willing to give it time but anything I can do in the meantime I'll do. I'll also start acquiring the parts and fittings I need. I have Katelyn selling some old stuff on ebay now. I think the first thing is I'll quietly put the bigger surf bag in without saying much.

Sled491
03-08-2010, 01:19 PM
Ah the better half, sometimes the less they know the better :)

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 03:06 PM
I know. I wish I had the boat here last night while the academy awards were on. Could have gotten a lot done uninterrupted out in the garage.

Sled491
03-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Or you could have just sat in her with a big stupid grin on your face dreaming of a warm sunny day, well at least that's what I would have done :)

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 03:18 PM
It was 70 and sunny yesterday, I would have had her out for break-in.

gus 08 mobius lsv
03-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Or you could have just sat in her with a big stupid grin on your face dreaming of a warm sunny day, well at least that's what I would have done :)

glad to know i'm not the only one that does that!

btw sled if you come across another one of those banners anywhere with the red mobius please pm me.

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 03:49 PM
You are definitely not the only one.

Sled491
03-08-2010, 04:35 PM
It was 70 and sunny yesterday, I would have had her out for break-in.

Yeah me too.

I think I need to start hitting you guys up to find me a new career down there. I'm still drilling holes through hard water here, and it was in the 50's here all weekend!

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 05:19 PM
You just have to learn to come down for spring break instead of in the middle of your summer. Any northerner over 65 can tell you that.

Sled491
03-08-2010, 06:36 PM
We were there for the spring last year. I have to go to Orlando for a show in april, but that is work.

Sled491
03-08-2010, 08:22 PM
I think you under estimate my value. I'm looking for a VP position.

JesseC
03-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Thanks for the props guys. I think we need to start a thread that post all of our GPH/GPM times with the different setups that we are running. I agree with Tazz and Byron, the multiple pump setup with the vented loops is probably the fastest way to go. The cost may not be that far apart on the different methods. With multiple pumps you can use a manifold down low or the multiper scuppers which Tazz has done (Tazz did the best option in my opinion). On the other hand a large pumps and manifolds requires minimal cutting and sometimes is the only option (space restriction). I built the Tsunami multi pump setup and just could not get it to fit in my older LSV without cavitation issues. With multip pumps you could possibly need scuppers, manifolds, vented loops, etc... With the large pump and single manifold you need a large pump, the manifold and the valves in the end price may not be that far apart. This weeken I will pull all of my stuff back out of the boat and flow test my new manifold with both the Rule 3800 gph and the 2000 gph. I plan on filling a 5 gallon bucket and timing it, dividing by 5 to get the GPM and then multiply by 60 to get the GPH. It would be really helpful if people with other setups that are already on the water did these tests. We could finally settle which method you should go with. In my case I only have one option, but can post times to see if it will benefit others. You can do the math using your bag weight dividing by 8.35 to get the gallons and then divid that by your GPM to get the fill time.

kaneboats
03-09-2010, 03:45 PM
If everybody includes costs and estimated installation time that might help too.

JesseC
03-09-2010, 03:54 PM
If everybody includes costs and estimated installation time that might help too.

Oh, I don't know about that one. My wife reads the message board, I may have to send it via Private Message if anyone is interested!!! If she only knew how much I really spent........just kidding I used my allowance, she is always encouraging my projects!!!

Sled491
03-09-2010, 06:10 PM
I wonder if anyone has done a from scratch ballast installation for an outback that is all quick connect so that I can take all bags out when skiing, and configure my bags for when we do surf or wakeboard?

moombadaze
03-09-2010, 06:27 PM
Sled, that should be pretty simple to do.

gus 08 mobius lsv
03-09-2010, 07:12 PM
i'd be very interested in some prices and what route everyone went to weigh my options and see what fits best for me. just got my 750lb bags today so next step is making it faster to fill if i'm not happy with it.

kaneboats
03-10-2010, 12:26 AM
I wonder if anyone has done a from scratch ballast installation for an outback that is all quick connect so that I can take all bags out when skiing, and configure my bags for when we do surf or wakeboard?

This guy did something like that:

http://www.wakeboarder.com/display.phtml?a=355

moombadaze
03-10-2010, 08:31 AM
Sure just cut a 2" hole in the bottom of my boat, 3 more holes in my floor, and then figure out how to plumb it, no probs!

Also remeber that my motor sits much lower in the hull than even Z's boat so not a lot of room in the bilge to get this to all fit.

no no no. its a 4 inch hole in the bottom. Were trying for a 1 minute fill

Actually 2 of those fill and empty pumps like Ed G has would work perfect for your boat. they can be mounted about 9 feet away from the thru hull.

Sled491
03-10-2010, 05:51 PM
4 inch funny, you trying to make my whole boat into ballast :D

To be serious I just need to find the time to do it, and actually the emptying part is more important than the filling. While your filling you can get ready and suit up. But when we're done I just want to head to the lift and go have bevie before dinner!

moombadaze
03-10-2010, 06:31 PM
oh-I hear ya on the empting part, Ive also done some upgrades there too. Nothing like being on the lake when a lightning storm rolls in doing mach 1

Sled491
03-10-2010, 09:16 PM
For me its sitting 50 yds from the lift with every one complaining that they want to go in and relax and veg until dinner, while the bags slowly empty one at a time so that my boat gets high enough on the water again to get both into and onto my lift :(

gus 08 mobius lsv
03-11-2010, 09:15 AM
For me its sitting 50 yds from the lift with every one complaining that they want to go in and relax and veg until dinner, while the bags slowly empty one at a time so that my boat gets high enough on the water again to get both into and onto my lift :(

why do you do it one at a time?
can't empty all three at once?

Sled491
03-11-2010, 08:57 PM
My bags are not plumbed in. I have 3 loose bags sitting on the floor and only 1 pump. I suppose I could buy another to help out. remember I have an Outback that was originally ordered strictly for skiing, I don't even have a tower

Sled491
03-11-2010, 09:41 PM
I guess that's the problem with a "good deal" sometimes you don't get the whole package :)

I was looking at the pumps that lock into those bags to help out. I should have bought 2 at the end of the season when a dealer near me was clearing them out :(

Sled491
03-12-2010, 08:56 AM
I find those threaded fittings a bit iffy. I would like the lock and load system to eliminate cross threading and leaking. Also I think I wouldn't have to keep moving the fittings from one end to the other.

kaneboats
03-12-2010, 09:39 AM
You can get better fittings for your old stuff but I have a better idea. Sell all your current stuff on ebay and get most of your money back-- it's spring so stuff is moving. I have two ancient bags on there right now. Then buy exactly what you want new. The upgrade will end up costing about what you would pay to get all the fittings and stuff you need to fix the old stuff but you'll have all new stuff with leak free quick connects instead. Get 2 new tsumani pumps from WalMart-- they work great with the fly high stuff.

Sled491
03-15-2010, 10:10 PM
Better plan yet. I'm going to be at a virtual walmart of moombas this summer :) I'll just borrow this here and that there and soon I'll be done with all factory original parts :D LOL