PDA

View Full Version : Polk MM1040

Moseley618
03-05-2010, 06:54 PM
Do any of you guys have any experience with the Polk MM1040? I can get it for $179.00. Would this be a good sub or is there anything better? What do you guys like for under $250.

jmvotto
03-05-2010, 09:15 PM
I have one in my boat i like it but i got it off ebay for 39.00 buck new. Its an 2007 i think. for the money at 250.00 i would do amarine jl 10 free air or crutchfield runs specials on Boston accoustic G3 you should be able to get the polk for less than 179.00

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_14755_Polk+Audio+MM1040.html.

check out my pics in my profle for the polk sub.

mmandley
03-06-2010, 01:17 AM
I think you realy need to be looking into Duel Voice Coil subwoofers. When you run a Duel Voice Coil sub you can wire them together to drop the Ohms to 2 and get twice the power to it from your amp.

Exp. The L5 10inch Kicker i was running was a Duel VC sub and i was able to make the 700.5 drop to 2ohm and run 400 watts to it.

Before that i was running a 10 inch Kicker with a single VC. It was oinly getting 200 watts from the same amp.

Its your choice but if you have a 2ohm stable amp then get a Duel Voice Coil sub, run it at 2ohm and realy get that punch.

I have all my speakers in the boat except my bow speakers running at 2ohm load. Making all them amps work for me LOL.

Hillbilly
03-06-2010, 11:02 AM
A friend of mine has the Boston G3 10 in his boat with about 300 watts to it and it sounds great !

Moseley618
03-07-2010, 11:48 PM
I am going to buy a sub in the next couple of days. What sub to buy? Rockford, JL, Polk. Dual voice coil, single voice coil I don't know the diffrence. I am leaning toward the Polk MM1040DVC it is Dual voice coil and handles 500 watts and is about 139.00

kaneboats
03-07-2010, 11:49 PM
Yea, I told my daughter I would add a sub if she sold a bunch of stuff for me on ebay but I have no idea what to get.

Moseley618
03-08-2010, 12:04 AM
I wish someone would sell stuff for me! I just have to deal with the wife saying I am spending to much money on the boat. She does not understand. I have looked at the subs online but can not choose one. I need help.

badasshybrid
03-08-2010, 12:37 AM
I bought a brand new Kicker 10" Solo Baric L5 for around 120.00 I have been told they sound very good in a boat.

kaneboats
03-08-2010, 01:00 AM
I wish someone would sell stuff for me! I just have to deal with the wife saying I am spending to much money on the boat. She does not understand. I have looked at the subs online but can not choose one. I need help.

It's my latest trick. Whenever she asks for something I give her some stuff to sell on ebay for the money. Then she ends up buying it on ebay because it's cheaper that way and she gets a better idea of the value of the money/items, etc. So I save space by getting rid of crap and money I could have just handed her while teaching a valuable lesson to boot. Man, I should write a book. I could have her sell it on ebay . . .

mmandley
03-08-2010, 10:12 AM
I bought a brand new Kicker 10" Solo Baric L5 for around 120.00 I have been told they sound very good in a boat.

These are excellent speaker and the square pattern makes them easy to just a box for. I ran this speaker for a short bit this winter and loved it. I know several others who are running this speaker, you wont be disappointed. It really pounds.

Moseley618
03-08-2010, 02:13 PM
Is the Kicker L5 a marine rated speaker? If not is it that critical that I use a marine rated sub?

viking
03-08-2010, 06:09 PM
MY Opinion:
JL Audio is hard to beat. Always ran them in my vehicles and just bought a JL 12W3 for the boat. You could buy a 12W6 and still be under $250 and I doubt you'd find a speaker that would sound much better if power'd correctly.

As far as Marine Woofer? I don't think it's that important as long as you mount the sub up off the ground and away from the inadvertant spray. If it's going to be out it the open it might need to be marine certified but most installs on the forum are not.

Good luck.

mmandley
03-08-2010, 09:03 PM
Sub-woofers don't have to be Marine grade.

Marine grade dictates what will happen if ti gets wet basicaly. If your sub is gettign wet then you have some serious issues.

In order for a sub to normally get wet its going to have to be submersed in water, seeing how your sub enclosure should be air tight as well as water tight.

Amps are the same way, unless you mount them low and in track of water, they shouldn't be getting wet, if they are i think you have more serious issues then your wet amps.

As for speakers. Cabins, especially really need to be Marine rated as they will get wet from splashes and such being in an open environment.

badasshybrid
03-09-2010, 12:18 AM
I have no idea if it is marine rated or not. I have seen lots of boats with them since I was told about Kicker stuff. I even seen one yesterday with the sub cut into the glass behind the driver seat. (might have been in front of the seat) Anyway it was out in the open, I will see if I can find a pic of it.

mmandley
03-09-2010, 11:58 AM
They mounted it to the fiberglass right behind the seat? That would be cool looking, and yea its going to get wet there for sure. I wouldn't have thought to mount a sub there as its another open area. I can see with a free air sub it might be pretty decent there.

Moseley618
03-09-2010, 08:15 PM
Well that is Freaking awesome then! That opens up the possibilities a great deal. I received the Kicker 700.5 yesterday and ordered 8 Polk DB651 speakers for the cabin and the tower cans. They are on there way!

badasshybrid
03-09-2010, 11:35 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/01/!!fs-I8Q!mE~$(KGrHqEOKikEtjjWFlucBLfG1(bYP!~~_4.JPG

Razzman
03-09-2010, 11:55 PM
Hybrid, That explains it, it's a Tigé RZ4. Most peeps that buy that boat end up using that useless compartment for some kind of stereo gear. I was trying to figure out how they did that on a Moomba by your description. :p

badasshybrid
03-10-2010, 12:15 AM
I couldnt remember what kind of boat it was. I took me couple hours to find it again.:lol: