PDA

View Full Version : Sacks

Bombguy
03-04-2010, 11:13 PM
Hey Gang,

The wife and son want to get in to wakesurfing (I just drive). I have a 2005 Mobius LS with the factory ballast. What do I need to add to get the wake right for surfing? ANy help is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Neil

Sled491
03-15-2010, 10:34 PM
You need some loose type bags say about 400lbs. One on the side that they will be surfing on and one for the bow on the floor. Try filling your stock ballast and then add the bags and play with it until you get the sweet spot. Not much else. If you have a wake plate start with it at about half and try up and down to clean up the top of the wake.

jasonwm
03-17-2010, 03:14 PM
The factory bag under the rear seat is 450 pounds. With that an either some people weight, or a single ballast bag, next to the engine on the side you're surfing on you'll have a great beginner-intermediate level wake that is easily surfable without the rope.

That would be a really good place to start.

Sled491
03-17-2010, 09:38 PM
The factory bag under the rear seat is 450 pounds. With that an either some people weight, or a single ballast bag, next to the engine on the side you're surfing on you'll have a great beginner-intermediate level wake that is easily surfable without the rope.

That would be a really good place to start.

I totaly agree.

deepcove
03-19-2010, 01:11 AM
I have a 2004 LS which is the same hull. Run your front bag half full, rear full, 750 on the surf side with a 550 on top of the 750 kinda on an angle onto the back seat. Put the plate just under 1/2 and 9.8mph You will be amazed at the size and push of your wake for a DD.

If your wake is not clean chances are your swim platform is catching the water on the non surf side of the boat.....which is caused by too much weight in the rear and not enough on the surf side.

Good luck!

deepcove
03-19-2010, 01:21 AM
it should look like this.

Sled491
03-19-2010, 08:01 AM
Wow Deepcove you have done some research. How did you figure out that the swim platform was messing up the wake?

By the way where is that lake, looks deep!

sanity
03-19-2010, 12:45 PM
Deepcove, thanks for the pics and tips. I have had my swim platform dragging in the wake before, but if I recall correctly it was the surf side that was catching in the water and the non-surf side was just sticking up in the air. I'll try rebalancing some this year and going with a similar setup as you on my 2006 LS.

c.rix
03-19-2010, 01:55 PM
The wake plate works wonders also if you have one play with it at surf speed until the wake look similar to deep coves

deepcove
03-19-2010, 09:38 PM
ED...Thanks, it took me a couple years of trial and error to get it dialed. It is interesting if I fill my front bag full the wave is not as good. I know you are about to do your prop test, this wave is with an ACME 543 which seems to perform better than my stock OJ. The ACME is also pitched to carry more weight.

Sled...a friend was riding behind my boat one day and the wake was not clean. I happened to notice the swim platform was catching the water on the non surf side. I managed to figure out with a DD and full front ballast you have a big counter effort on your side weight. So a combination of less front weight and more side weight solved the issue.

I ride in the ocean.....it generally ranges from 300 to 600 feet deep!

Sanity....your platform will drag on the surf side, this is a key ingrediant in shaping your wave. I took the platform off once to see the difference.....it was not nearly as good.

C.rix....yes the plate plays a major role along with speed. It comes in handy to extend the pocket.

Sled491
03-19-2010, 10:13 PM
Man you have all the answers, glad to meet you :D

viking
03-20-2010, 12:47 AM
Alright DeepCove. A great resource for us DD'ers. I've yet to surf behind my outback but hitting it this year. Thanks for the pointers :)

Sled491
03-20-2010, 10:05 PM
Right, but for us the problem still is the lake, not so much the set up. We can be going along at 15 - 35 ft of depth, then pow 3 ft under water sand bar. Talk about a joy killer, loosing the wake on a great ride really sucks :)

deepcove
03-21-2010, 11:12 AM
Regular side has more push and is a better wave.....which is ok cause I am regular!

Bombguy
03-25-2010, 09:54 PM
Thanks a ton for the help...and the pics. I'll give it a go as soon as the water warms up a tad more. I'll let y'all know how it works out.