PDA

View Full Version : Lake Shasta

KT Mobius
03-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Im thinking about a trip to Lake Shasta for spring break. Is this a good time to go? Possibly going to stay at a Best Western, but does anyone have any other ideas for lodging in the area.

jester
03-02-2010, 05:35 PM
One note is to make sure you wash your boat before you leave and before you come back. I know of a boat that was shipped from NV to WA. The Cal police followed the boat to the Oregon boarder and the Oregon cops followed it to the WA boarder. Once it crossed into WA they made them pull over and wash down the boat and made sure there was no water left in the boat and it was dry.

Other then that hope you have a good trip.

Razzman
03-02-2010, 08:02 PM
KT, when is spring break? A little history just in case you don't know. Lake Shasta is fed by three rivers; Sacramento, McCloud & Pit and for the first time in years will be full this year way ahead of schedule. In fact it's only 42' from the treeline as of today and is going up over 1' a day.

Awesome as that equates to 365 miles of shoreline, but .... it also stays colder longer than a lot of other lakes because of those three rivers fed by snowmelt. And becuase we also have above an average snowpack this year with more coming the snow will take longer to melt so you guessed it, colder longer.

So back to the question, when is spring break? We usually go in July and the water surface temp is around 75. May through early June will be chilly waters though regardless of the air temp.

There's not any lodging such as a Best Wetsern at the lake that i know of, all campgrounds, cabins and resorts. Hotel/Motels are in Redding, about a 30 mile drive if i remember correctly. We've camped and rented vacation homes at the lake itself so that's really all i can talk about. Antlers has a lot of vacation rentals and a nice campground. Camped at Hirz Bay last year, a bit out there and there are bears to deal with.

Someone on the forum lives in Redding, can't remember who it is but if he chimes in he can give you better info. Either way it's definately worth the trip regardless. :D

Jester, Lake Shasta is not enforcing any mussel inspections that i'm aware of nor do the local authorities even bother with it. It's all under Dept of Fish & Game in Cali. If cops did follow a boat to the border it wasn't for that, CHP doesn't have the budget for that around here. The only areas in concern are SoCal around the Arizona region. Tahoe has mandantory inspections for any boat from anywhere, even locals.

KT Mobius
03-02-2010, 08:19 PM
Razzman

Thanks for the info. Spring break is the end of March and Im more than more than anxious to get on the water. If I can get air temp around 70 degrees than I will make the drive. Im from Salem, OR and I don’t think our lakes see much higher temps than 65 in the middle of summer.

byronkoz
03-02-2010, 08:52 PM
Razzman

Thanks for the info. Spring break is the end of March and Im more than more than anxious to get on the water. If I can get air temp around 70 degrees than I will make the drive. Im from Salem, OR and I don’t think our lakes see much higher temps than 65 in the middle of summer.

I dont think you'll have too much to worry about with air temp but its kinda hit and miss through April-May. Last year the weather was awsome for spring break, year before it rained. Alot of the Oregon schools come down for it and rent out houseboats, last year was a pretty good crowd. Water temp is really a non issue in short spurts. Prolly be around 60 deg by then.

There is other hotel/motels on/near the lake, Bridge Bay being he nicest. I think its pretty reasonably priced also. Theres cabins up at Antlers marina that are pretty nice. Best campground on the lake for sure. Really nice people.

Heres a link for Antlers

http://www.antlersrvpark.com/

Heres Shasta's web page with hotel/motel links and a bunch of other info.

http://www.shastalake.com/motels/

Hope that helps a bit. Let me know if you need any other info, id be glad to help if I can.

RobertJ
03-02-2010, 09:48 PM
The only thing "KT" will need to rid from his boat is me. I might hide in his rear engine compartment before he leaves so I can go to Shasta.

KT Mobius
03-03-2010, 07:36 PM
Jump in, more the better.

jester
03-03-2010, 08:01 PM
Razzman, That is great to hear Shasta will be full this year. Also the issue is not with CHP but with OSP. If they see you bring a boat across the boarder they most likely will stop you. Also I don't want any of that mussel fun to start happing in Oregon.

KT, When is spring break. I might just have to jump in as you drive thru Eugene. No matter what the water temp is you should have a great time.

mmandley
03-03-2010, 09:57 PM
End of March early April we are headed South, we will be going Past Shasta going to AZ and comming home from AZ.

KT Mobius
03-04-2010, 11:50 AM
will you have your boat with you?

mmandley
03-04-2010, 02:22 PM
Nope no boat in toe with us. Maybe next year if we make the trip but not sure its worth it on gas till we upgrade my truck to a diesel.

We made the last minute change to detour to Salt Lake to visit the grandparents so we wont be in Cali at all now. I would realy like to make the trip to Shasta. Maybe next year. With the boat upgrades i made this year i spent most of the traveling money for boating LOL.

Next year we will have a lot of extra cash as i dont see any super upgrades for the boat like this year. I know ill find thngs to upgrade but this year i realy went all out. I think the only thing i havnt messed with so fare is the interior material.

byronkoz
03-05-2010, 01:53 PM
Anyone who's passing through boat or not boat let me know ahead of time and I can try to hook up for a pull or just cruise on the lake.