PDA

View Full Version : Top rail protection?

pjw
02-28-2010, 09:36 PM
I have an LSV-the local Moomba dealer here is know offering a product to prevent scrathes and dings from both the tower resting on the top rail (terrible design) and from grit on feet when getting into the boat. The product is a clear plastic like material that is 3 mills thick and is applied along the top rail and other places where dings occur. Its a scotch guard product. i was considering the seadeck material but now i am considering having them install this clear plastic on my top rail as its clear. The cost is about $300 for the entire rail plus above the transom deck. Anyone out there have any experience with this type of product?-- I live in North Dakota and its time to think about spring!

kaneboats
02-28-2010, 09:52 PM
I haven't heard of it but I know you can get a lot of scratches topside.

pjw
02-28-2010, 09:55 PM
my lsv is only about 6 months old so for me another $300 on a $50k boat is quite reasonable, if it works!

kaneboats
02-28-2010, 09:58 PM
How about asking the dealer for the names of customers who have had it installed? You can ask them how they like it.

Hydrofoiljunky
02-28-2010, 10:11 PM
First thing I did on my new boat was put Gator pad on areas inside boat as well as the areas you desscribed. I plan to buy some of this and hit the transom.

http://www.keelshield.com/transom-shield.html

Sled491
02-28-2010, 10:20 PM
Depending on tech advances the stuff worked good, but if you damaged the film it looked like crap in a short period of time. Of course the advantage is that when you peel it off after a few years your rails should look almost new again. If the new products are more durable than the previous versions your right 300 hun on a 50k purchase is a smart move

newty
02-28-2010, 10:25 PM
Its 3M vinyl with a adhesive backing and its clear. You could buy a whole roll of 4x20 for $100. Look around online you see what I'm talking about.
A lot of the PDXwake guys use it and they pay big money for it. They wanted $1000 to do the whole boat from the rubrail up. I told them to pack sand.
Me and a buddy were talking about splitting a roll and trying it out. You get better prices if you buy bigger rolls.

Sled491
02-28-2010, 10:53 PM
"Pack Sand"

Man you crack me up :D

Razzman
02-28-2010, 11:59 PM
That's all fine and dandy for the asthetics portion but what about safety? Is it slip proof? No. Does it offer any traction? No. The worst thing in the world is somebody slipping while boarding and that real nasty sound as they bust a shin bone on the gunwale top! A $50K boat isn't worth squat if your sued and you lose it :|

newty
03-01-2010, 02:20 AM
No sue happy people on my boat.:p
Your right its not non slip its more for gel protection.

mmandley
03-01-2010, 03:30 AM
pack sand.

I think the phrase is

Pound Sand

LOL

pjw
03-01-2010, 08:58 PM
i found the 3 m product -- its about $129 with clear adhesive. so in sort dealer charging $200 for installation. high price for basicly a tape! i will check with the boat dealer to make sure i have apples to apples comparison.

Sled491
03-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Never seen a dealer yet in this game for charity.

newty
03-01-2010, 10:07 PM
Never seen a dealer yet in this game for charity.

Yea, not so much!

maxpower220
03-01-2010, 10:21 PM
i found the 3 m product -- its about $129 with clear adhesive. so in sort dealer charging $200 for installation. high price for basicly a tape! i will check with the boat dealer to make sure i have apples to apples comparison.

This type of product (clear 3M tape) has been around for years on motorcycles and cars. Most of it is to stop paint chips on the from of your car/bike. Also, you can protect a bike tank from scratches. Gel coat is tougher than paint, so I doubt that you will be "saving" a lot of damage on your boat. It would be good to hear from an actual client with a history of the product.

I have seen strategically placed 'seadeck' like products placed on the top rail and transom of boats that protect and look good. It is thicker than 3 mil and provides traction.