PDA

View Full Version : How to avoid bow scuffs

aaroncat
02-28-2010, 05:13 PM
I've only taken my boat on and off the trailer 3 times now and I'm already getting these black scuffs on the keel. What do you all do to avoid these marks? I have found a product shown here (http://www.westmarine.com/1/1/19619-scuffbuster-buckle-guard-from-megaware.html) but with the color of my boat Im not really keen to put this on.

Also, if I do decide to go with this product does anyone have any tips on how to get it on? I assume I would have to be in shallow water (possibly at the dock) to have the boat off the trailer and then stick this thing on.

Razzman
02-28-2010, 06:15 PM
You mean scuff marks from the black bow roller?

kaneboats
02-28-2010, 08:39 PM
If it's from the roller, you can replace it with a clear one. A Magic Eraser will take it off but go easy with these and rewax it.

Razzman
02-28-2010, 09:28 PM
Put on a Stolz Bow Stop Roller, silicone impregnated and they hold up excellent, had 'em on my last three boats. Being as the "scuffs" are generally just rubber deposits then use something with a petroleum base to remove them, like WD-40.

Stolz Ultimate Bow Stop Roller (http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=34908&pdesc=Stoltz_Ultimate_Bow_Stop_Roller&aID=603G&merchID=4006)

DOCDRS
02-28-2010, 10:10 PM
Or just buy a black hull boat :cool:

Sled491
02-28-2010, 10:35 PM
I'm with Razz on this one. But if you want to go the protector route, there is a company that makes a stainless one that looks kind of trick. KB has a point also, those Magic Eraser get rid of almost any marks...now if they could just make my tax bill go away :(

aaroncat
02-28-2010, 11:03 PM
Sorry guys I should have explained. I have the roller that Razz showed above. For some reason there are black marks on the middle of it and now the bow.

viking
03-02-2010, 12:31 AM
Sounds like the roller needs a good cleaning? Maybe brake cleaner?

aaroncat
03-02-2010, 12:51 AM
I'll give it a try thanks. I still have no idea how it got dirty like that.

moombadaze
03-02-2010, 08:48 AM
could have been tape residue from shipping that got dirty and is transfering the grime onto your hull

Sled491
03-02-2010, 08:49 AM
Heck it could be road grime. Heck mine sits on the lift all summer and gets black marks up front? :)

BensonWdby
03-02-2010, 08:58 AM
I would be careful about putting strong cleaners on the roller. They may not come off completely and could transfer to the gel coat and cause slow long term damage.. I would talk to a good body guy about it.

mmandley
03-02-2010, 10:44 AM
My roller doesn't scuff my bow but it does like to leave little marks and nylon scrap on it. When i got my boat i think they shipped it with the nose not completely on the roller. There a small flat spot in my roller and this has continued to wear and loves to leave a mark on the nose all the time. Right on the white section, i always end up rubbing it off in the water when we are swimming.

Im guessing you can only replace the roller when the boat is off the trailer. This makes it a pain.

Razzman
03-02-2010, 08:09 PM
Im guessing you can only replace the roller when the boat is off the trailer. This makes it a pain.

When i replaced mine right after buying the boat i did it at the ramp one day going out, literally! The wife backed the boat into the water, released the strap a bit and i leaned over with a ratchet and wrench and did it in about two minutes. I did loosen the nut most the way before backing down to make it easier and quicker.

Sled491
03-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Now that's the way to do it!

Or, you can just put your boat on the lift and when you take your trailer back to storage just do it then :D

sanity
03-02-2010, 09:12 PM
I'm going to have to get one of those Stoltz bow stops as well. Probably can pick a not-busy day at the lake, tie up the boat after launch and replace it while the trailer is parked.