PDA

View Full Version : Fresh Air Exhaust

Hydrofoiljunky
02-25-2010, 12:18 AM
Did anyone find out if the fine folks at Fresh air exhaust did in fact come up with a way to do an install without having to drill into the swim platform? Thought I'd ask here first before going to the source and also to inform ppl that may not know that there is a guy organizing a group buy on Wakeworld right now if anyone is interested. I think you have till March 12. I'm in if I'll be able to take the swim platform off easily, leaving the fresh air exhaust on.

Razzman
02-25-2010, 12:34 AM
The FAE has to have the platform to keep it in place, there are a couple of boats that have a recessed transoms where it connects instead but the SC boats are not one of them, so yes you'd have to either drill the platform or find a way to span a piece of material across the brackets for it to mount to. Either way your platform is involved. They do have quick release mounts i belive now that will make it a tad easier to remove.

Razzman
02-25-2010, 02:12 PM
No change Ed, some actually have bolted them right to the platform in the past and some (mostly Matercrafts) bolt to the bottom of a transom recess, but yes most are on the tube bolted between the brackets. His question can it be done without attaching to the platform (or brackets) so he can remove the platform without hasseling with the FAE.

MI-LSV
02-25-2010, 10:12 PM
I installed mine with the quick release so I can remove the swim platform without much hassle.

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=201&pictureid=1639

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-26-2010, 03:08 PM
how much does the fae help? what is the point of this unit?
sorry if ya think its a dumb question just not familiar with it

MI-LSV
02-26-2010, 04:34 PM
I have to say I disagree with Ed. I love my FAE. It is nice to be able to have a conversation in the boat and hear the music while wake surfing, without having those annoying tower speakers blaring music. I also enjoy not smelling exhaust while wakeboarding.

Here is a link to some information from Wake9 on the subject. Good information, but I had purchased and installed mine before this was ever published. http://wake9.com/wakesurfing-boating-carbon-monoxide-safety-information/

As for it being loose and moving around, if you get it installed correctly it won't move on you. I have a couple of issues to begin with, but after reviewing the installation, I was able to get everything snugged up and have not had a problem since.

newty
02-27-2010, 12:40 AM
Finally Ed!!!
Something you and I agree on.:p kidding.
I certainly think FAE does serve a purpose, but on the newer boat CO2 is almost a non-issue.
For instance while surfing or spotting on my buddies older Malibu I start getting a headache after a short amount of time. He definatly needs one!
However I've never experienced that with my boat. I think the only real benefit on the newer boats is the sound suppression. If that is the reason for buying, then more power to you. To tell you the truth I was a little dissapointed at how quiet my Moomba was after owning my old MB. I guess that why I over-compensate with my stereo.;)
I've always been a louder-is-better kinda guy.
Of course this is my opinion so take it as that.

Fman
02-28-2010, 08:15 PM
With the CAT-ETX motors in California there has been research to show they are producing significantly less CO than the standard Indmar motors. Are they putting the CAT-ETX motors in all the boats now or just California? California puts smog on weed eaters and lawnmowers, its rediculous.

I dont own a FAE because I like the sound of a healthy V8, but I am a little old school. I can defenitily see how it would benefit a boat without the CAT-ETX motor. I surf quite a bit and never smell exhaust when surfing or sitting in the back of the boat.

csm
02-28-2010, 08:59 PM
I wouldn't be worried about CO2 either, but I am worried about CO.. (sorry, had to be a smarta$$... :D )

I can only speak for my 2005 LSV, but it has made a huge difference for me. I regularly smelled CO while surfing, as well as riding in the back of the boat before installing my FAE. I rarely smell CO at all anymore.

I installed it over a year ago, and haven't had a single hose clamp loosen. They are still as tight as the day I installed it... I did add one extra clamp to each exhaust outlet, which I'm sure helps, but I've had zero issues.

I personally like the noise reduction, so I can have conversations even when cruising, but if I had a boat where I didn't smell CO, I wouldn't get it just for that reason.

In terms of drilling into the swim platform, when I purchased, I believe there were two options. Either drill 2 small holes in the platform that were just big enough to fit over the heads of the bolts that hold the cross beam on. Or you could tap a hole into the platform brackets, that I believe would have also gone into the platform. So, either way, I would have ended up with drilling into the platform at least a little.

Just my .02

kaneboats
02-28-2010, 09:56 PM
OK, wise guy, you are right, it is CO. But, you didn't see it or smell it because it is colorless and odorless. There may be exhaust gases you can smell but CO isn't one of them. You need a sensor to test for it.

newty
02-28-2010, 10:52 PM
LOL thanks for that csm!:D
The O and the 2 a really close together on... the... keybo... NEVERMIND!
I'm we-todd-did, sofa-king-we-todd-did.

csm
02-28-2010, 11:57 PM
Touche, kaneboats.... well, let's just say after a long day of surfing, I used to get headaches, and now I don't.

Fman
03-01-2010, 01:55 AM
Woops... I meant CO, thats what I get for not proof reading my posts! there are definitely some great benefits with the FAE, it seems like everyone who has them really has nothing but good things to say.