PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Bunks WARNING

jimlsv
02-24-2010, 02:17 PM
I have a 2006 lsv, great boat love it.I keep boat in boat house, I have probably used the trailer a total of four times, just to take boat to dealer for service.I was pulling boat out stepped on the carpet bunker and it moved.I pulled trailer out and all but two lag bolts were missing. Im just giving all a heads up, that could of been a bad hull scratch or hole in boat if it popped off while i was driving boat onto trailer.I found on the other bunks the lag bolts were very loose. just give a quick check before boating season

kaneboats
02-24-2010, 02:55 PM
I definitely recommend a thorough trailer inspection before leaving on the first day of the season. Then, after the boat is off, take another hard look when you park it.

snowboardcorey
02-24-2010, 03:10 PM
While harder to install (and find at the hardware store) than Lag bolts Carriage bolts work much better for securing trailer bunks. If you have to replace the Lags might want to consider Carriage bolts instead.

Sled491
02-24-2010, 10:48 PM
Good catch, I as well almost never use my trailer, I'm gonna give this a look. Corey is right as well, carriage bolts are a better choice, they have a rounded head from the top and let you bolt into place as opposed to counting on the bunk itself to hold the lag.

zabooda
02-24-2010, 11:22 PM
They loosen up often so I put on lock washers that seem to help.

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-25-2010, 12:26 PM
Good catch, I as well almost never use my trailer, I'm gonna give this a look. Corey is right as well, carriage bolts are a better choice, they have a rounded head from the top and let you bolt into place as opposed to counting on the bunk itself to hold the lag.

i caught this on my trailer a few weeks ago when i was doing some cleanin as well. so what your say in is drill a hole all the way thru then counter sink the round head so its below the surface or take the carpet off or what exactly did ya do sled?

Razzman
02-25-2010, 12:46 PM
Filling the holes with silicone and reinstalling them keeps them in place as well as seals the hole frome water penetration which can lead to rot.

gus 08 mobius lsv
02-25-2010, 12:53 PM
Filling the holes with silicone and reinstalling them keeps them in place as well as seals the hole frome water penetration which can lead to rot.

cheaper and less hectic i'll go that route and keep an eye on them to see if they stay put. any special kind of silicone u use?
thanks razz

Razzman
02-25-2010, 01:19 PM
I've always just used regular clear silicone however there may be something better that's more waterproof and weather resistant.

kaneboats
02-25-2010, 05:10 PM
Get some gutter seal if you can get it. Works great for stuff like that and stays flexible even when it gets real cold.

Sled491
02-25-2010, 09:27 PM
If you use the carriage bolts they will suck right into the wood when you tighten the nut on the back side. You just need to cut an X in the carpet, drill the proper size hole for the carriage bolt you are going to use, slip the bolt in the hole and under the carpet and put on a lock washer and nut. Tighten until the head of the carriage bolt is fully barried in the bunk. Then take some of your silicone or a stapler and fasten the carpet back down where you cut the X.

Haven't had to do this with my Moomba, but did exactly that with my Nitro.

kaneboats
02-25-2010, 10:50 PM
If you are going to go to the trouble you may as well replace the bunks and carpet. It's only about a $40 job and it's good for 8 or so years. Don't staple the top side. Or you can just peel the carpet back to where the bunks attach and then re-staple it from the bottom after you put the carriage bolts in. Worth it to get stainless staples too.

kaneboats
02-26-2010, 05:05 PM
You'd be throwing the wood away anyway when you take them off.

snowboardcorey
02-26-2010, 05:08 PM
I've never had any issues with carriage bolts. Through bolting the bunks is a lot more solid than lag bolts in the event someone comes in hot with the boat, or the trailer isnt in deep enough, or if there is a little rot around the bolt itself.

Razzman
02-26-2010, 06:03 PM
I like my idea better, just easy, plain and quick. I've had lag bolts on every trailer i've had and never had an issue once siliconed.

kaneboats
02-26-2010, 09:40 PM
All I meant is that you could get on the heads if you wanted to cuz you could just cut the wood away. The best point though is that the hex heads (countersunk) would allow for tightening when you inspect and find them loose.

Sled491
02-26-2010, 11:14 PM
the advantage of carriage bolts is the round head. If for whatever reason they push up a loot less damage if any will occur. Also the carriage bolt once sucked into the board as it were creates it's own grip. I have yet to have a problem with a carriage bolt used in this fashion.

Bolt, washer, wood, flange, washer, nut adds an extra element that is not necessary and one that could create another potential week link.

kaneboats
02-28-2010, 10:28 AM
That would work great too, assuming I could find the torx or hex tool in the garage when I need to tighten them.

viking
02-28-2010, 08:14 PM
"The best point though is that the hex heads (countersunk) would allow for tightening when you inspect and find them loose."

Exactlly.

If you try to properly tighten a carriage bolt that has been in service for a while, odds are it will spin and when that happens, you'll have to take action while the boat is off the trailer.

If you didn't feel comfortable with a HHCS, A button head socket screw would also be a better alternative than a carriage bolt.

It has a round head with a socket and is full thread. You can insert a torx or allen wrench into the head and get a wrench on the hex nut, allowing easy and quick periodic inspection and tightening once boat has hit the water.

Use galvanized hardware if available.

give it a counter bored hole

apply silicone sealer

Button Head Socket Screw:

http://nutsboltsfasteners.com/products_img/button-head-socket-screws.jpg

Anybody on the forums using these and gone through the hassle of complete replacement on the trailer?