PDA

View Full Version : Boatmate Trailer

pss3757
06-01-2004, 12:25 PM
Does anyone out there have any experience with servicing the brakes on Boatmate trailers. For example, bleeding, checking the pads, replacement, etc. I have a bit of knowledge on auto brakes....but how do you bleed the trailer brakes. I am not sure how well my brakes work on this trailer....but the discs seem to be a bit rusty and little wear. Any help on properly maintaining the brakes would be great.

thanks

jburnside
06-02-2004, 09:54 AM
pss,
I too am very interested in how to maintain the brakes on my Boatmate trailer, when should I start to be concerned with a 2003 trailer. I also was wondering how often do I need to change the oil in the bearing buddy. I hope some of the very knowledgeable people on this board will post.

06-02-2004, 08:18 PM
I usually add more grease to the bearing buddys two or three times a season....really depends on how much trailering you do. Just pry off the metal cap with a screwdriver, put a grease gun to the nipple and pump away until you see fresh grease. You then need to push the outer piece back in to be flush....and replace the metel cap and plastic cover!! Grease is cheap anyway!!! Will save you in the long run....even though bearing are not expensive, but a pain to change sometimes.

tygger6069
06-03-2004, 12:34 AM
Patrick

Just a short note on the brakes, tried to send you a private message last evening about some directions that I found in the owners manual. Basically it is just like bleeding the brakes on a car. The main difference is that instead of a pedal you will need to use a screwdriver to move the actuator in the tongue of the trailer while a friend loosens the bleeder screw on the caliper, starting with the brake farthest from the reservoir in the tongue. If this is confusing I will try to scan in the directions out of the manual and email them to you at your email address.

Hope that this helps, I had to put the brakes on the second axle of my trailer after I got the boat because the great state of Washington requires that you have brakes on all axles, live and learn I guess.

Andy

carsondoc
06-03-2004, 10:33 PM
From my trailer manual, it says to change the bearing buddy oil annually. It also says it's normal to have a light coating of rust on the disc. However, heavy rust must be removed if present. Also, it says to check the brake fluid level annually and replace pads when worn. Regarding bleeding, it says you don't have to do that unless there is a problem. Hope this helps some.