PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Games Ballast System

ssmith
02-23-2010, 11:58 AM
Just wondering if anyone has this installed in their LSV? The issue would seem to be with the ski locker bag. The stock bag on at least the '06-'07 LSV's seems to completely fill the locker and then some. So how could a bag with the dimensions of 19" x 19" x 88", weighing in at 1180 lbs fit in there? Seems as if there is already little to zero room to expand.

Thanks

mmandley
02-23-2010, 12:04 PM
I think the boats with the Gravity Games bag your talking about are Play Pen style boats. Those boats don't have the ski locker, its one big open area under the bow for those bags.

brain_rinse
02-23-2010, 12:05 PM
You're right, the stock bag completely consumes the ski locker. A larger bag there would be pointless. If you want more weight up front it's got to be in the bow or in the walkway.

Razzman
02-23-2010, 12:15 PM
Some people have actually replaced the stock 400lb center locker bag with the GG 1180lb Fly High bag which is longer, however you cannot fill anywhere near full, somewhere around 650-700lbs if i remember correctly. Contact Fly High as they claim it fits.

brain_rinse
02-23-2010, 12:27 PM
I don't get it, Razz... if the stock bag consumes the entire volume of the ski locker, how does adding a larger bag help?

Razzman
02-23-2010, 12:37 PM
It doesn't consume the entire locker, at least on mine it doesn't. My locker is deeper than the bag is. Now mind you it's Fly High that claims it fits not me :D

moombadaze
02-23-2010, 02:32 PM
Personally, I think it would be a waste to buy a different bag to go in the ski locker on a LSV-as it is the bag from the factory will pop open the door when filled and there is not much more room for it going forward for a longer bag.

squeeg333
02-23-2010, 05:55 PM
I'm guessing that the ski locker bag doesn't get completely full - to say that it doesn't get 400 lbs of water weight in there. It seems to me, that the further up the bow of the boat you get, the more taper the front of the ski locker has. Which in turn reduces the amount the bag can expand. It gets pretty full, and I usually fill mine to where the "handle" on the ski locker almost pops up. That "full" for me. I'm guessing 325#?

you da man
02-23-2010, 06:18 PM
In the XLV we call it "the basement". You can litterally put a person in there with room to spare.

New Guy
02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
Alright guys I have a 02 that the seam split on the locker bag, do you know if it would be cheaper to get a new bag from SC or get a fly high locker bag?

Thanks,
Mark

moombadaze
02-23-2010, 06:46 PM
to where the "handle" on the ski locker almost pops up.

Little way to get even more water in that bag--remove that "handle" take 2 pliers and bend the post part to a 90 angle about 1/2 way down the post-there will be no need to reinstall that washer or ring to hold it in place and then the post is not stabing the bag. I actually leave mine out and only use it when I need to open the door

if my discription does not make sense i can snap a photo

Razzman
02-23-2010, 07:08 PM
Personally i wouldn't bother with the GG bag, i don't think it's work it.

New Guy, the SC bags are made by Fly High and you can get them all over the place.

ssmith
02-24-2010, 12:26 AM
Thanks for the replies. Just as suspected....it wouldn't really work and not worth the investment for the small gain (if any) you would be getting.

New Guy
02-24-2010, 10:37 AM
Thanks Razz, I didn't know if it was cheaper to get it off the web of a dealership,

BSWAKE
02-25-2010, 02:13 PM
One thing to consider when putting a bigger bag in the ski locker is the upward pressure on the floor as well. You would be better suited just putting something in the walkway versus more in the floor. The playpens offer a ton more room to accomodate bigger bags. Fly High will also make bags to custom specs as well last time I worked with them on stuff of this nature. Good luck...

jasonwm
02-25-2010, 02:22 PM
The Gravity Games bag doesn't offer much of an increase on the LSV, but there is a little additional weigh to be had by fitting that bag.

Where or not it's worth the price of admittance is tough to say, and that's usually what it comes down to.

For close to the same price you would have an Integrated Bow Sac under the bow seats with a Tsunami pump you use to manually fill and drain it. That would have a MUCH bigger impact on the quality of the wake (both for wakeboarding and wakesurfing), but obviously would not be automated.

kaneboats
02-27-2010, 02:01 AM
How hard would it be to make it automated?

mmandley
02-27-2010, 01:39 PM
Newty can explain this better then I but i just got the integrated Bow Sac. I need to buy 1 pump.

To integrate it you use a T juntion on the Fill bag of your ski locker. When the ski locker bag is full the natural progression of water is least resistance. So this being said it will go the other direction in the T and fill your Nose bag.

I plan to fill the nose bag off the center port.

To drain is i am puttin the drain pump on 1 leg of the bag, this will then be plumbed out the boat the same manor the ski locker bag is with its own threw hull port.

Next i will T junction the drain line of the ski locker bag to the other leg of the nose bag.

This will allow the ski locker bag to drain as normal and also assist that second leg of the nose bag to drain.

I can do some pictures and a write up of this when i do it if you all would like. It will be a couple weeks till i get to this as this weekend is all about my stereo because i fianly got my carpet in for my upgrades ive been working on.

Next weekend i think i will be concentrating on the Ballast system.

jasonwm
02-28-2010, 09:49 PM
That's one way to do it, but that will obviously make a system that is already slow to fill even slower. Also, I would recommend using a Wye fitting instead of a tee in your factory fill hose. Water is going to go through both legs of the tee anyway, so you might as well make it more efficient. We've helped a couple of customers set up systems like that, and other than being slow they're pretty functional.

The other option would of course be to install a new thru-hull intake and dedicated fill pump for the new bag.

Keep in mind that aerator pumps won't drain the Integrated Bow Sac very well because of it's shape, so you would be well advised to use two drain pumps, one on each leg, to ensure you get as much water out of the bag as possible.

Feel free to email if you have any questions.