PDA

View Full Version : Dealer vs Aftermarket Options?

BryanMobius
05-31-2004, 05:37 PM
Hello.

I am ordering my first Moomba (Mobius) and was looking for advice on the accessories.

My dealer charges $650 for a color-matching bimini top (keep in mind I'll have the standard wakeboard tower on this boat). So, should I pay the big bucks he's asking, or can I buy the exact same or similiar product somewhere online for a lot less? Also, the wakeboard racks are pretty pricey too, can they be ordered online for less?

Please add your advice and the URL's where the options may be purchased.

Thanks!

BryanMobius (soon!)

noneya
06-01-2004, 09:30 AM
Definetly get the OEM bimini. I got the Mako racks and really like em, they arent that much more than a comperable aftermarket.

jburnside
06-01-2004, 09:52 AM
Bryan,
In my opinion the accessories that the factory offers are very nice and of good quality. You may be able to find an on-line bimini for a little less but then you have to have it installed or do the installation yourself. Both cost something. I tried going the "cheaper" route with my '03 Outback LS and I wish I hadn't. Trying to find the time to get all the things I want installed myself has been a pain. If I could do it over again, I would just have paid the extra money and had it all done at the factory or the dealer. Just my .02

Don't forget to order with a hydraulic wakeplate and a fuel injected motor, minimum.

CWS_Kahuna
06-01-2004, 10:31 AM
My bimini is just all gray, it is a OEM bimini though, I don't know if I'd spend $650 to just get it in a different color matching scheme. Thats just me though, I'd rather use that $650 towards a perfect pass or some other option.

I have the Fluid Concepts board racks, they work very well on the rad-a-cage towers, they are priced pretty good compared to some I have seen. Very nice guys to do buisness with also, www.fluidconcepts.net.

BryanMobius
06-02-2004, 08:17 PM
Thanks all for the input.

Jeff - you suggested the fuel injected engine option and the wakeplate as a minimum. Can you help me understand the benefits you see with each? Quite frankly, the fuel injection seemed like a nice touch, but at it's increased price point I thought I could live with pumping the throttle to start the engine. As for the wakeplate, I'm told it adds the ability to "tune" the wake, but not much in the way of increasing it's size.

I'd appreciate your input!

Bryan

Shoemaker Mobius
06-03-2004, 10:03 AM
Bryan,
I'm with Jeff on the recommendations. I bought a 2004 Mobius LSV at the boat show so I didn't have an option on upgrading to the EFI engine instead of the 310 carb. While I have been satisfied with the 310 carb, I would go with the EFI. From what I understand, the EFI runs a little smoother and uses slightly less fuel than the carbureted engine. My 310 carb ran fairly well during break in, but would tend to die going from idle to in gear. I now have about 40 hours on the engine and it is much better. Overall, given the price of gasoline, I would think the better fuel economy of the 320 EFI would pay off.

Also, buying at the boat show provided 3 accessory options at no charge so one was the hydraulic wake plate. My experience with the wake plate is that it is not so much of value for tuning the wake, but it makes a big difference with the plate down getting the boat up on plane quicker. That really matters when you weigh the boat down for bigger wakes. The wake plate down during pulling up the rider gets the boat on plane much quicker and easier, then you adjust the wake plate for optimal wake shape. I don't see any difference in the size of the wake, but you can adjust the sharpness of the wake and to some extent the distance back.

jburnside
06-03-2004, 11:14 AM
Bryan,
The fuel injected motor will give you a few things. Frst being increased resale value, second, is increased performance, and third is slightly better fuel consumption. Yes the carb motors work fine, but if you are using a public launch in cooler climates it will take a few minutes for the motor to warm up so you can idle away from the launch without stalling the motor, seen this first hand on several occasions. It always makes for an interesting start to my day when that happens. The EFI motors don't stall-out like that.

As for the wakeplate I agree with Shoemaker, check his comments. Also another nice thing about the wakeplate is that it will increase your resale value.

Not sure where you will be using the boat at, but my next boat is going to have a hot water shower and a heater installed in it. Michigan in the spring and fall sucks!

Good luck.

BryanMobius
06-03-2004, 03:16 PM
Gent - thanks again for the input!

I will weigh your comments accordingly.

Thanks!

Bryan

p.s. Jeff, I live in Michigan too.

jburnside
06-04-2004, 11:23 AM
Bryan,
Then you certainly know what I'm talkin about! Who did you order your boat from? No matter how you have it equipped you're gonna love it! Good luck.