PDA

View Full Version : steering issue

stretch55
02-22-2010, 12:11 AM
I have 2005 xlv and my steering is super tight. Is there a way to adjust it or should I take it in? By the way I jsut picked thiks boat up about 2 months ago and it looks like there is a new prop and rutter on it. I don't know if that would have anything to do with it or not? Any advice would be very helpful..

brain_rinse
02-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Usually tight steering is a symptom of a bad steering cable. But with a new rudder maybe there is more to it. I'd probably try disconnecting the cable from the rudder to isolate the problem before just ordering a new cable.

DOCDRS
02-22-2010, 12:30 AM
Disconnect the cable from the rudder and see if the rudder is binding. If not then it may be your cable

kaneboats
02-22-2010, 02:00 PM
You could try lubing the cable. There was a post on here where at least one guy had good success doing this.

DOCDRS
02-22-2010, 07:32 PM
oiling steering cable in the HOW TO section

flydoc
02-28-2010, 01:44 AM
I have the same problem on my 05 XLV. I am going to take the cable off to see if the wheel moves any easier. Does anyone know on the XLV if you can lift the floor off and where are the screws. I don't feel comfortable pulling it through as there are to many wires like perfect pass, gas tank, balast, etc. I would need to get the floor up then feed it mostly by hand. I know there are posts on other models elsewhere in the forum. I have yet to see one about the cable replacement on an XLV.

mmandley
02-28-2010, 12:49 PM
Not positive on the XLV but the LSV and OBV has floor panels over the gas tank. They are realy easy to see and at those corners are screws. You have to dig in the carpet a little but there's one on each corner you release the floor.