PDA

View Full Version : Wake Surfing

J-Lawv
05-29-2004, 11:39 PM
I have a moomba xlv and i mainly wakeboard behind it. But I just saw a video of someone wakesurfing and thought it looked pretty fun. Then i looked into buying one and there like 300 dollars for a decent one. Any one here ever wakesurfed and if so is it worth the money of buying one?

SMUMATTMAN
05-31-2004, 11:26 PM
I picked up a demo model Land Lock for $225 and have used it a couple of times so far this summer. It is really fun and is a nice break from wakeboarding. The Land Lock fits well on my wakeboard rack which is nice because it would be a pain if I had to keep it in the boat.

Wakeboard2222
06-01-2004, 09:08 PM
Actually, we were doing some Wake Surfing on Douglas Lake this past weekend and were informed by the TWRA agent when he stopped us that we were breaking the law...Has anyone ever heard of this or encountered problems with law enforcement? We asked if he was confusing wake surfing with teak surfing. He knew the difference and explained that if we were caught wake surfing again that he would write me (boat owner / driver) and the person riding a ticket for reckless endangerment.

We've since contacted the TN State TWRA office in Nashville and they explained that it is a judgement call on the officers part to decide whether it is reckless or not...anybody else heard of this???

Thanks,
Concerned Mobius LSV Owner

Catdog1
06-01-2004, 10:30 PM
I read somewhere a statement from Moomba suggesting that wakeboarding was a dangerous activity and discouraging it.

AJones
06-02-2004, 06:23 AM
I think Catdog meant to say wake surfing instead of wake boarding. There are a lot of TWRA rules/regulations that are very subjective. I got stopped years ago on Cherokee Lake when a buddy and I were skiing without a spotter. We had a mirror and the lake was virtually empty. The TWRA officer said that although we had a mirror as required we were not following the intent of the law. It would be a shame to purchase a board just for wake surfing and not be able to use it. I just hope that they don't consider short line slalom skiing dangerous. Its hard for me to see wake surfing as any more dangerous than kids riding high powered PWC's all over the lake.

SkiKY
06-02-2004, 12:41 PM
There is still a carbon monoxide danger involved with wakesurfing; hence the Ski Centurion sideswipe exhaust. I doubt that was the concern of the TWRA officer but it probably was the source of the Moomba warning.

http://www.skicenturion.com/sideswipe/CarbonMonoxide_spreads.pdf