PDA

View Full Version : Air in ballast bags

aaroncat
02-19-2010, 08:35 PM
Hey guys,

I remember reading at least 1 thread regarding air in ballast bags and the forum wont let me search for the word "air" because apparently its too common

I have the G3 in my 09 OBV and I just got the boat back from the dealership after the de-winterization. When I got home after driving 3 hours there was a load of air in every bag. They were all filled like balloons!!

1. Is this normal?
2. Should I be getting all of the air out before attempting to fill the bags when I'm out on the water?

Cheers,
Aaron

DOCDRS
02-19-2010, 09:30 PM
are the bags vented?, if not then yes you have to get the air out, if so then they should not balloon, maybe they plugged them up for some bizarre dewinterization procedure for which someone may explain who is in the know????

brain_rinse
02-19-2010, 09:45 PM
The air comes from the thru-hulls when trailering, though I've only had it happen on the ski locker bag. I just unhook the quick disconnects before towing, others put tape over the thru-hull. You can add a vent line that ties into the drain line that will solve the problem too, but until you do that you'll need to make sure all the air is gone before filling otherwise they wont fill all the way with water.

aaroncat
02-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Good info guys, thanks!

kaneboats
02-19-2010, 10:23 PM
Try searching on "vent" or "vented" and "loop".

brain_rinse
02-20-2010, 10:52 AM
If they are already vented I don't think the air in the bags would matter... as you fill with water the air will be pushed out the vent lines. Or am I missing something? Ed, how is the new system vented? Tied into the drain line with a check valve?

My boat came with a "blank" to replace the paddle wheel housing when trailering. I only use it on long distance pulls, but it's an option.

DOCDRS
02-20-2010, 01:00 PM
on my 09 there are separate vent lines off the third fitting of the bags. and good idea about the tape except don't forget to pull it off before ya unload or ya have to a search and remove. only trailered it once, about 400 miles to its new home, and i had no air in the bags and the valves were open

brain_rinse
02-20-2010, 01:40 PM
on my 09 there are separate vent lines off the third fitting of the bags. and good idea about the tape except don't forget to pull it off before ya unload or ya have to a search and remove. only trailered it once, about 400 miles to its new home, and i had no air in the bags and the valves were openBut do the vent lines tie into the drain thru-hulls or do they have their own?

brain_rinse
02-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Thats right, forgot about the reversible pumps. Thanks!

jasonwm
02-25-2010, 02:08 PM
Just to clarify for anyone else reading this thread:

-2008 and older boats: Air in the bags is a problem as the factory system does not have a dedicated vent line to the top of the bags. Instead it relies on the drain connection through the drain pump at the bottom of the to relieve any excess pressure. That's fine for water, but because air is less dense it will be trapped at the top of the bag with no way to get out.

This can also cause problems with the rear bags not draining, so adding a dedicated vent connection to your factory bags is a worthwhile upgrade.

- 2009 and newer boats: Air in the bags is not a problem as there is a dedicated vent connection at the top of the bag, so as soon as you start filling any air will be replaced by water.