PDA

View Full Version : Trailer Tires...what is under your boat?

mcdye
02-18-2010, 02:30 PM
I am making the pliunge for new tires on my 02 single axle BoatMate trailer. Currently it has Goodyear Marathon 225/75/15 Load D range on it and will need to stay the same size and load range. I have been searching and seeing mix reviews on just about all trailer tires.

What are you running and any comments about them?

Do you have your wheels balanced?

Razzman
02-18-2010, 02:41 PM
I'll say this from experience, they are all about the same. I have yet to find a benefit from one brand to another when you have D rated tires. I have marathons as well currently and they don't seem to be any better than the house brand i put on my last trailer. All tires are prone to failure especially since there are too many variables to consider, road hazards, user error, axle camber, etc. Take care of them and they all last decently imo.

maxpower220
02-18-2010, 05:42 PM
Make sure that you get a (ST) trailer specific tire and not just a D rated tire.

I have had several different boat trailers with several different brands. I could not tell any difference in brands. Old tires are prone to problems. It would all come down to price and ease of getting the tires IMO.

zabooda
02-18-2010, 08:30 PM
I got mine from Les Schwab that have a lot of stores out west. They prorate tire replacement based on tread depth regardless of how old they are. I've got some free tires as the boat and the RV tires tend to fail from age and sun damage rather than from using them.

sandm
02-19-2010, 08:50 AM
second zabooda. les schwab ftw, but doesn't help anyone in the midwest or east...
my trailer came from the factory with marathons and they were dead last summer, only 3 years worth of use and had maybe 4000 miles on them. kind of bad for tires always stored in a garage.

polar21
02-19-2010, 01:21 PM
I would say stay away from the Marathon tires. I have had one go flat on me and several other fisherman have had blowouts as well. They do not have a very good reputation on other fishing forums around the net. Just my .02

Mike G
02-19-2010, 02:09 PM
From personal experience I would stay as far away from Carlisle tires as possible. I have had Goodyear marathons on my last two trailers and have had no issues.

murraymoomba
02-28-2010, 10:02 PM
I vote for Maxxis. 225-75-15 E.
Got them on our 5th wheel also.

Sled491
02-28-2010, 10:23 PM
I put Carliles on my 24 ft car hauler after I had 3 failures on a basically brand new trailer on a 600 mile trip. They seem to be a nice tire. But I agree with the others, they all seem to be about the same to me. I still have the factory tires on my Outback trailer and despite minimal use they don't seem to be getting to beat up from the weather either.