PDA

View Full Version : Star Gazer vs. Paddle Wheel.

RobertJ
02-17-2010, 06:38 PM
I am looking to upgrade Moomba Cruise to Perfect Pass. I currently have an '07 LSV that has Moomba Cruise. As most of you know there is a great deal on a paddle wheel module on this site and after buying the rest of the items directly from Perfect Pass needed to complete the install total cost would be around $500.00 (no warranty but I bet the PP guys will be pretty helpful with issues if they arise). A new Stargazer system could be had for around $1,000 - $1,100.

So here is my question to those of you that have had both systems. Is the upgrade to Stargazer worth the extra cost? I know I have heard thoughts about how a GPS system might lose signal but I doubt that would happen very much since I think GPS is pretty strong all over the world otherwise how could we place bombs in all those caves in the mountains of Afghanistan?

brain_rinse
02-17-2010, 06:52 PM
I have not owned both, but I did talk with PerfectPass directly about a StarGazer upgrade when I had the module fail under warranty. Long story short, both systems have their pros and cons. The honest answer I got was that they saw little reason to upgrade when the paddle wheel performs so well.

ausbill32
02-18-2010, 05:28 PM
I'm contemplating the paddle wheel vs stargazer option myself. I posted this question in another local to me forum and most people say they like it and it's pretty accurate. Lake Austin seems to have a lot of Hydrilla so I think this might just be my deciding factor. I don't want to pay for paddle wheel and stargazer.

RobertJ
02-19-2010, 01:22 PM
Perfect Pass is still making and selling Wakeboard Pro (paddle wheel version) at this time. The cost is $949.00 and although the Stargazer is becoming the dominant version the still have a demand for Wakeboard Pro and continue to make and sell it.

RobertJ
02-19-2010, 04:20 PM
Ed, I called Perfect Pass direct at 902-468-2150. The lovely lady that answered the phone is the one that gave me the information. She said they are still making the components for the paddle wheel version and she gave me the price for the complete system for my '07 LSV DBW. The price included shipping.

www.perfectpass.com

DOCDRS
02-19-2010, 09:31 PM
we already have enough stars up here, i'll keep my pro:rolleyes:

DOCDRS
02-20-2010, 01:04 PM
I just wished you could mark waypoints and navigate with it.

now that would be awesome, good for late night returns , i'm sure its soon to come........then i would consider upgrading

phospher
02-24-2010, 02:24 PM
I don't mean to thread jack here....

So does the moomba cruise [dissapoint] or what? It's RPM based right? Is the problem that when you take corners the boat slows and then doesn't speed up enough? I'm curious why everyone seems to want to upgrade. I've never used moomba cruise or any cruise for that matter.

mmandley
02-24-2010, 05:08 PM
I cant speak on PP but i have Moomba Cruise and I use it all the time. It its push and leave alone sometimes it takes a little care.

Exp. I pull Claudia up on the surf board, i speed up to 10 or 10.5 and then i push the cruise on, It blinks at me and i push the throttle up a few more inches and the boat stay at speed the whole time.

She falls, i turn the cruise off and go pick her up and do it again.

Wake boarding is where this comes to be a little more problem.

Pull her up and take it up to 18 or so, as the boat planes out it will actually speed up more with the same throttle position as lag on the boat is decreased when it planes. Then you are pushing the down button to slow back to 18. If you set the cruise to soon then when the boat finishes planing, or you take a turn and it slows down too much it wont speed up as fast as you want it to to keep her at 18 all the time.

In this case you will be pushing up or down to adjust the speed again.

A lot of poeple dont want to deal with this, PP is a set and forget system. You run up to plane or what ever set your speed and the boat will stay at that speed no matter what.

We didnt have any real issues with Moomba cruise and i am not picky enough about my wake speeds yet to care if its perfect or not, just give me 18 to 21 while im learning still and im happy.

We opted not to spend the 1K on the upgrade and instead i put that into many upgrades this spring.

Next year we might invest in PP not sure.

phospher
02-24-2010, 05:11 PM
Cool, thanks for the feedback mmandley.