PDA

View Full Version : Ballast set-up for Surfing

ffmcdou
02-16-2010, 11:18 PM
I have an 08 Mobius LSV. I put a 750lb bag on the surf side and also fill the center bag. My 90lb son can surf, I can't unless the boat is full of people. What bags (and where do I put them) do I need to get to be able to surf without a boat full of people. Also, what safely removes water spots?? My boat looks like a shower door that hasn't been cleaned in a year. OTC spot remover is terrible. Thanks.

MI-LSV
02-17-2010, 10:38 AM
Now for the answer you were looking for.

Running 750lbs in the back surf side, took the factory 400 and put it under the seats on the surf side, fill the center if needed. A full fuel tank helps too. Creates a very good playable wave. To increase the with of the wave, I use the other factory 400 in the bow. If I have people in the boat, don't need to run as much weight and always stay under the 1800 lbs.

As of spot remover, I have been using the babe's boat bright. It works great, and smells a whole lot better than vinigar and water.

Hope this helps.

moombadaze
02-17-2010, 11:51 AM
Have a 08 LSV myself, at times run the 750lb in the rear port side(passenger) factory ski locker bag full(till the door start to pop open) Wakeplate "bowup on the gauge" about 3/4 and right about 10 to 10.5 mph. At that speed I can hear the exhaust clearly-when the boat slows down just a little it gets muffled. We use a tee handle rope from the tower (think the rope is 10 feet long) and it puts me in the pocket perfectly. Any people other than driver sit on the passenger side.

Any pictures?- as Ed said that will help.
What board are you rideing?

Now most of the time I run a xtra 400lb bag under the passenger seat (removed the cooler) and put a xtra 400lb bag in the walkthru above the ski locker--this just makes the wave more fun/bigger. Not necessary but like I said more fun.

sandm
02-17-2010, 12:20 PM
there are going to be 2 schools of thought on here...

ed's reply with the "minimalist" surfing and not using a bunch of weight. it's achievable, but does take some work.

the other posts with loading the boat down. makes the wake easier to just ride and not have to "work" the board.

both are viable surfing options, but it sounds like you are looking more for the wake to just ride.
you gave us the ballast settings, now how about your specs and what board you are riding. that may be the whole issue..

imo, I believe there's a reason why the wakesurf nationals use an enzo loaded down with 2 tons of ballast. I run the 750 in the rear locker, 400 in the center, another 400 in the bow walkthru and, depending on number of peeps in the boat, another 400 on the surfside seat. 4 or less in the boat, it's full, 6 or more and don't need it. in your shoes, I'd add 2 more 400's, one in front and one on the surfside and bet you'll be surprised..

ffmcdou
02-17-2010, 10:13 PM
Thanks to everyone that responded. I am a beginner, but have been surfing about a year (10 times). I'm 6'4", 215lbs. I'm on a CWB Ride. I have no issues with the hit but just can't find the sweet spot and get slack in the rope with the current set up. (750 rear locker, center bag filled, 110 wife driving and 200lbs worth of kids on the surf side) Once last year when we took out more people, say an additional 500lbs, I surfed without any issues.

kaneboats
02-18-2010, 11:53 AM
I go about 215. You may need some more wake or you have to stand hard forward all the time just to keep up.

sandm
02-18-2010, 12:18 PM
big difference in a 150lb guy surfing a board and 215lb guy surfing the same wake and board. based on his statement an extra 500lbs made it easy to drop the rope. use more weight and get a good skillset, then start looking at the minimalist surfing ed uses. seems that I remember when ed was using larger bags :)
no offense ed, but personally, the wake in that photo is nice to ride for miles, but looks a little washed out on the top and it's not real long to play in..

dereklschmidt
02-19-2010, 09:48 AM
Hey man, I'm also 6'4" at 215lbs riding the 09' CWB ride. I have a 2000 Mob V and run about a 660lb surf side rear locker, 540 center, and my 400 bow bag about half full or so. With the wedge bout 1/2 way down. It puts out a surfable wake, however, I am going to add at least another 400 on the surf side to get the wake a little more playable. On the board, you do have to keep a little more weight towards the front, as Ed said, I do ride with my back foot against the hump, but with a little wider stance and at times I have no weight on my back foot at all. Sounds like to me you should maybe try an extra 400lb bag on the surf side, you're already running more ballast than I am, but the wedge does help...

On the water spots, I also use Babe's Boat Bright, works great inside & out, and does smell nice.

ffmcdou
02-21-2010, 09:53 PM
Thanks, good advice on the foot position. I guess I've been way too wide and heavy on the back foot.