PDA

View Full Version : apperance package after the fact

moombadaze
02-16-2010, 11:09 AM
Anybody add the stainless rub rail and docking lights after buying your boat. I allready have the cleats and really like the look of the stainless rubrail and lights--is this something I can do myself or does a dealer need to do--how much$?

brain_rinse
02-16-2010, 11:25 AM
The lights could be a DIY project so long as you're ok cutting big holes in the hull! :) http://www.overtons.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=Innovative_Lighting_Stainless_St eel_Docking_Lights_pair&r=view&i=23383&aID=

The rub rail takes hundreds of screws but aside from that I would think the only issue would be keeping it perfectly straight. I was looking at a used boat that would need a new rub rail and I believe my quote was around $800 installed.

newty
02-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Most of that cost is installation. I'll bet its not that all that expensive for the kit. But time consuming. I do know the stainless part is not one peice. Mine is about 6 different peices. Wish you lived closer, I'd love to help you, that would be fun.

Razzman
02-16-2010, 12:44 PM
These are the same lights SC installs for docking and are easy to install so they say. Just looked at mine and ther are identical, they come in stainless polished, black or white and are probably alot cheaper at $170 than buying through the dealer or other online stores.

Innovative Lighting (http://www.innovativelight.com/docking-hull-back-up-lights_p_1489_11567_1.cfm#)

kaneboats
02-16-2010, 12:46 PM
I'd say do the layout first THEN knock back a couple shots of tequila to get up your nerve to start cutting -- not the other way around.

02-16-2010, 01:31 PM
I have the docking lights and they are ok, but not nearly as bright as I expected. People in the boat often comment that they aren't as bright as they look like they'd be. While driving at night, they don't really do much at all. I'd look at other options out there if I was installing from scratch.

Razzman
02-16-2010, 02:02 PM
What you have to realize is that they are not meant for night cruising, in fact in many states it's illegal to do so with them on. They do however work perfect for the intended purpose, docking.

kaneboats
02-16-2010, 05:54 PM
Get this fellow to install your rub rail. He's pretty good. Here he is practicing on my boat...

https://forum.moomba.com/picture.php?albumid=223&pictureid=2171

I think he used to be in my sister's band.

Birdman_08_LSV
02-16-2010, 06:10 PM
What you have to realize is that they are not meant for night cruising, in fact in many states it's illegal to do so with them on. They do however work perfect for the intended purpose, docking.

Same here. I am usually on the water until way after dark. As you can tell, I have a few reasons to stay on the water after dark. The lights are crap for trying to drive across the lake, but help great to see your trailer when loading up at night on a dark ramp.

moombadaze
02-16-2010, 06:15 PM
Most of that cost is installation. I'll bet its not that all that expensive for the kit. But time consuming. I do know the stainless part is not one peice. Mine is about 6 different peices. Wish you lived closer, I'd love to help you, that would be fun.

Come on down---anytime soooooooon:D

moombadaze
02-16-2010, 06:19 PM
Reason im thinking about these 2 upgrades is i really dont like the rubber rub rail--just looks cheap to me. Docking lights just look nice-I know there not the best but I feel they really dress the front up.

Found a video on youtube for installing a rub rail-was the regular rubber version but actually looks pretty easy. Lots of drilling and putting screws in.

Ed, you dont mind me taking yours apart just a little to see how its done do ya???:)

dru1974
02-16-2010, 10:28 PM
I have to agree with ed, I seen your boat in your pics in the past, it looks really good and smart, maybe a nice light and speaker tower would trick it out a bit. I really like that blue

ausbill32
02-17-2010, 11:04 AM
I've been contemplating getting the StarGazer Wake Edition but can't decide between that or the traditional paddle wheel. I like the idea of the easy install and no drilling.

moombadaze
02-17-2010, 11:39 AM
That's one upgrade you keep putting off - and it's one you would enjoy the most and one that would add the most resale value to your boat.

You could get hooked up for under $500

Ya know I should get it, That is a great price, except for the fact the two other drivers for me are dang good. They dont even use the Moomba cruise.

jmvotto
02-17-2010, 12:19 PM
I agree with Razz, not for driving, helps with docking immensley at night.

An easier install would be forward looking tower lights than cutting that odd oval shape in the hull under the rub rail:shock:

New Guy
02-18-2010, 03:17 PM
Ed where can you get it for under $500?

Sled491
02-21-2010, 10:41 AM
I have the apperance package and have used the lights once for driving onto the lift at night. Was wild especially at my place as the water is so clear and the bottom is typical sand, looked really cool and the lights did just what they are supposed to...help me dock, they are not head lights they are docking lights.

As for the rub rail, I would not go with anything else but the stainless, but Ed is correct the screws will chew up whatever they hit, the Port side of my lift proves this :)

jasonba1
02-21-2010, 07:12 PM
Had viper put a stainless rub rail on my boat and he has ordered them for several people on the supra forum and I think stainless is the only way to go

moombadaze
03-01-2010, 03:18 PM
can someone post some photos of there stainless rubrail, front sides and rear, and show where the sections joined.

Thanks

Sled491
03-01-2010, 06:36 PM
I'll try tonight, mine is in the garage right here at home