PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Upgrades

Reese350
02-14-2010, 09:51 PM
I got the DB651's installed today. Easiest upgrade ever and made a huge difference. I ended up buying the Kenwood 942U HD head unit, the JL M6600 amp, and the JL 10' baffle free sub at the Detroit boat show yesterday.

Two questions:
- The drivers remote doesn't seem to be working after I put in the new head unit. I plugged the single wire in the back but I used the stock wiring harness from the Kenwood 242U that came in the boat. Any ideas?

- I'm thinking of mounting the sub myself in the kick plate under the console. Anyone done this by just cutting a hole and mounting it there?

I plan to have the amp professionally installed but would like to get these two things done first.

Razzman
02-14-2010, 10:19 PM
Do some forum searching on the sub location Reese, it's not a good option as it's open under there and you would need a true free-air sub to pull it off cleanly. Either way it's not as clean as in a sealed box and you would be dissapointed in the end result.

One option is to mount it into a sealed box and mount the box to the top of the footrest pointing at the hull, i have mine like that and it works well. The other way would be to cut out the footrest and glass it all in like Newty did, great results but a lot of work too.

As for the remote it just simply may not work with that head unit, afterall those Aewire remotes are actually universal and don't work with all HU's.

newty
02-15-2010, 01:14 PM
Agreed!
BTW why not wire the amp yourself? Super easy, and will save you some coin? Just ask, we'd be happy to help.
Another thing to consider is a plain square box in your storage area. You will be far happier with the sound as compared to the floor location. That is fairly thin material and does not produce very good sound.

Reese350
02-15-2010, 04:10 PM
Thanks guys.

Ok, now you've got me thinking. I may build a custom box to go in the storage area.

Anybody done this for a 10" that will be willing to share some pics on where you put it? I will search the forum as well. I think I remember seeing some on here.

brain_rinse
02-15-2010, 10:22 PM
I made a small sealed enclosure for a 10" that lays flat behind the drivers footwell. Not much to see, but pics are in the link in my signature. Sounds fantastic!

Reese350
02-15-2010, 11:09 PM
Brain - Thanks, that looks clean and simple enough. Where do you store it again? Is it out in the open under the console or up in the storage area hidden away?

brain_rinse
02-15-2010, 11:32 PM
It small enough that I can drop it down through the bow seat, sub facing up, and push it back against the back of the drivers footwell. Make sense? I added some plastic feet to keep it up off the carpet as well. As much as I like it, I do plan to make a built in box in the factory location when I add an integrated bow sac.

Reese350
02-16-2010, 02:16 AM
Makes total sense. Weekend project. Thanks!